Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Purchasing a Charter Catamaran from the Moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I am curious, what refitting do you think would need doing before you go sailing for a couple of years around the Caribbean?
As to buying a boat right out of charter.... It's not only sails and engine hours. It's usually 5 years of wear and tear on all boat systems as well as the upholstery and mattresses. I find that people take great care when it's their own boat, and not so much when it's not.

One more thing. A charter boat is not necessarily a cruising boat. No one is buying expensive cruising gear for a charter boat and this will have to be purchased during the refit. To see the difference go back to catamaransite.com and compare what's on board a cruising boat vs a charter boat. I break the boat inventory out separately for exactly this purpose. Buying a bargain $170K ex-charter boat with nothing on her might equate to a fully loaded $200K ++ cruising boat. All is not equal ... Just sayin..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 05-03-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
As to buying a boat right out of charter.... It's not only sails and engine hours. It's usually 5 years of wear and tear on all boat systems as well as the upholstery and mattresses. I find that people take great care when it's their own boat, and not so much when it's not.

One more thing. A charter boat is not necessarily a cruising boat. No one is buying expensive cruising gear for a charter boat and this will have to be purchased during the refit. To see the difference go back to catamaransite.com and compare what's on board a cruising boat vs a charter boat. I break the boat inventory out separately for exactly this purpose. Buying a bargain $170K ex-charter boat with nothing on her might equate to a fully loaded $200K ++ cruising boat. All is not equal ... Just sayin..
Actually Moorings get them looking pretty spiffy. So you agree no refitting required.

Extra kit sure. A second anchor and rode, some spares and maybe a solar package and I would be good to go.
Old 05-04-2013
Senior Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Actually Moorings get them looking pretty spiffy. So you agree no refitting required.

Extra kit sure. A second anchor and rode, some spares and maybe a solar package and I would be good to go.
Ummm..no...again, review the link I posted. It's self explanatory.

Old 05-04-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

While I haven't purchased a cat from Moorings, I did purchase an ex-charter monohull from Sunsail and the underlying principles are the same. The engines tend to be used hard but maintained very well, a thorough survey by a buyer's surveyor is necessary once you have gone through all the models of the cat you want with a notepad and a camera and have chosen the best-of-breed. I went through over 30 boats before choosing one and never regretted it. They are pre-depreciated and most of what I had to work on was purely cosmetic (scratched/abused interiors and the like). Do you plan on flying to the where the Leopards were phased out and inspecting them? Do any of them belong to Moorings or are all owned by individuals? Moorings will take possession of a cat if the previous owners upgrade or have the fixed-price sale contract and those models will often be priced more aggressively than their privately owned counterparts.

Old 05-05-2013
Senior Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
...Do any of them belong to Moorings or are all owned by individuals? Moorings will take possession of a cat if the previous owners upgrade or have the fixed-price sale contract and those models will often be priced more aggressively than their privately owned counterparts.
While I didn't get into this, you've brought up a very good yet, misunderstood point. Most charter boats are owned by private individuals, and are then leased... usually on a 5 year contract, by Moorings or SunSail, or whomever. At the end of the lease it's the owner's boat, and they are responsible for it.

In the past, this has been an excellent offshore investment vehicle. These days, not so much.

Old 05-05-2013

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat

Thanks for all of the responses! TropicCat, thanks for the lead on the Leopard 40. Spain may be a show stopper for me, as I don't have the blue water experience to bring it back. Unless I can find a private owned cat, I will probably take a trip out to BVI, and look at a few of the ex-charter cats that are for sale, there are a number. I will keep you guys posted!

Dale

Old 05-23-2013

twinsailor is on a distinguished road

I purchased a Beneteau 331 from them over 5 years ago, saved a bunch, was so impressed with the operation that I bugged the Sales Mgr two years for a Broker position.
I wasn't aware that sales of used monohulls and cats from their fleets total over 120 per year.
Old 05-23-2013
Senior Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsailor View Post
I purchased a Beneteau 331 from them over 5 years ago, saved a bunch, was so impressed with the operation that I bugged the Sales Mgr two years for a Broker position.
I wasn't aware that sales of used monohulls and cats from their fleets total over 120 per year.
Did you get the job?

Old 05-24-2013

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat

Update: I made an offer on a 40' Leopard coming out of Charter with the Moorings on Monday! We have been back and forth a couple of times so today the last offer will either be accepted or I find another boat. I am working with Gary Fretz, who seems to be very knowledgable and is representing my interest as a buyer's broker. More updates coming!

Old 05-24-2013

twinsailor is on a distinguished road

Tropicat - yes, 3 years ago, Florida office, love it.
I was responding as an individual, not promoting as per forumn rules.

Tags
catamaran , charter brokers , leopard