MacGregor 36 – Help to find out if it is the right boat for me. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: MacGregor 36 – Help to find out if it is the right boat for me.

Breno,
I'm glad Robert showed up! Given that its a rather esoteric boat, have you looked into an owners-specific site, like:
MacGregorSailors.com • Index page
or
MacgregorOwners.com - Home

Given that you're seeking very specific knowledge, you might do better on one of those sites than here. You might also contact Tall Rig Mac 36 Cat to see if they can get you in touch with additional M36 owners.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breno1 View Post
Yes, I just moved to Thailand few months ago and that is a big "limiting" side of my search options...
Ahhhh, now things make more sense!

Quote:
I still think that a Cat would work better for me... besides personal taste and preferences, large flat deck space and shallow draft are my main concern, and I cant get that with a monohull.
You certainly won't get a flat space that is the equivalent of the trampoline on the cat, that's for sure. I think you can still find a shallow draft (there are centerboard models with 2.5-3' drafts with the board up, which puts you in the same range as the Mac) in a monohull. In the end, only you can make the decision as to what works best for you.

Quote:
I know it is not a easy task, specially because my small knowledge about boat and even smaller budget, but I figure I need to start somewhere, otherwise another 2 or 3 years will pass by and I will still be writing and asking questions trying to find the perfect boat for me.

So, this project is a priority for me now and I hope to be able to gather enough information to make it happen.
I can appreciate the sentiment, but be careful. I'd hate to see you throw $10-20K at a boat and have it be a real POS and an albatross that you can't get rid of. When I bought my first boat, I had negotiated a budget with my wife, and then had to be patient enough to find the right boat for our budget. That took about 9 months, and in that time I bet I was aboard at least 10-15 boats. That Mac may be the perfect boat, but it may not. Don't get your hopes up and try not to put on rose colored glasses on the first boat you get aboard (it's VERY hard to NOT to put the rose colored glasses on!!!). Might I suggest at least visiting some of the other mono's and cats that are out there? That will give you a better feel for what to look for in the Mac when you go to see her.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2013

Breno1 is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Thanks for all the help and Info!

I am not "close minded" for other options at all... all suggestions are very welcome and that is why I started this thread...

I am trying to search as much as possible and look for other options also... the only thing I want to avoid is "putting off" this project for another 2 years (again) trying to find the "perfect boat"... specially because I think it will never happen.. much less on my first try... do you agree?

I am hopping to get more comments and suggestions from MacGregor 36 owners to hear what they have to say about it..

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Sorry if I sounded snippy; I didn't mean it in a bad way. When I looked for my second boat, I decided that I wanted a wheel for steering. I want it because I have kids, and they have fun sitting next to me when we were out on our Catalina 25. But I kept whapping them with the tiller (clocked my then 3-year-old in the head once), and it stopped being fun for them. A wheel has a well-defined space that is easy for a kid to understand, and I don't have to worry about whapping them. Fingers caught in the wheel maybe, but not whapped in the head. Anyway...many people tried to talk me out of the wheel, told me I was stupid for wanting it on a 27-32' boat. And you know what? In an absolute sense, they are probably right; a boat this size is fine with a tiller, and you get more feel that way. But that's not what _I_ needed in a boat, and since I am the one buying it, I get to decide the priorities. Same goes with you and your boat - you have your mind made up, and that's fine! I appreciate that you heard me out, and you even provided rational responses as to why you thought a cat was important. In the end, it's up to you - it's your boat. I respectfully believe that a mono could meet your needs too, and may have some advantages over a cat, but you're down into the personal preference area, where there aren't any absolute right or wrong answers, only the ones that are right for you.

In the end, the one bit of advice I'll give is don't rush into the wrong boat for the right reasons. That is, if the Mac is in bad shape, don't just buy it so you have a boat. You'll regret it later, and it will be an albatross around your neck for a long time. By contrast, if the Mac is in great shape and a surveyor agrees, and if you really think that particular boat will meet your needs (as opposed to waiting for the next cat to come along), then go for it. We'll all be very happy for you!

I'm afraid I won't be much help beyond this point (not that I was all that much help to begin with)! Good luck, I hope you find the info you want. I look forward to seeing pictures of your new boat, and of your dives!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-03-2013

Jim,

I would like to thank you for all the advices and knowledge.

Maybe you misunderstood me, so I want to make it clear that I really appreciate all your help and I am thankful for all your comments.

I didn't made up my mind yet, although I am limited to the options available here, I am still searching for more info and possible options for the Mac 36. So any other boat model suggestions are very welcome.

I hope it workout and dont worry that I will be very happy to update everybody when it happens.

Thanks again!
jimgo likes this.
Old 05-03-2013

RobertKWFL is on a distinguished road

My Mac has a rigid, foam-cored fiberglass deck between the center and aft tubes. It's very light and really makes the ride drier and more comfortable. There's still tons of net space forward of the center tube. I keep several big vinyl marine bean bags on deck for lounging--it's really luxurious in good weather.

I've thought a lot about overhead shelter above the aft deck, but haven't found a solution I like. The boom is low and would have to be raised to get standing headroom. I imagine that anything more than a lightweight bimini would require heavy structural modifications. This boat is very sensitive to loading. It needs to be kept light, especially in the stern.

As the Florida Keys where I sail are a no-discharge zone, I installed a head with holding tank in the starboard hull next to the galley. It's as elegant a solution as I have been able to come up with so far, but it has limitations, especially for people sleeping on the starboard side.

As for the spade rudders, we avoid any depths less than 3 1/2 to 4'. I know some Mac 36 owners have designed kick-up rudders, but I haven't heard good reports about their performance. Spade rudders really are sensible for high speeds; you just have to be extra careful about draft or you'll end up with a bent rudder shaft.
Breno1 likes this.
Old 05-03-2013

RobertKWFL is on a distinguished road

A few more thoughts...

The Mac 36 is easy to sail, but keep in mind that Roger MacGregor designed it as his racing boat, and fast sailing is it's primary purpose. It sails very fast and requires an experienced, attentive skipper. Acceleration is fast, and there is little room for error when you're sailing at 15+ knots on a boat that weights 3000 lbs. Yes, you can and should reef down and be conservative, but even with small jib and reefed main you might find yourself sailing faster than is comfortable.

The boat requires significant rigging modifications for single-handed sailing, and at anything above moderate wind speeds I think sailing with a second crew member is prudent.

The Mac 36 is a small cruising catamaran already. It has four berths that MacGregor describes as snug doubles. I would say the forward berths are long but snug doubles, and the aft berths are best used as singles or for gear stowage. I've added small hatches to bring light and ventilation into the forward berths, and roll-down canvas sides with vinyl windows over the big companionway hatches to provide shelter there.

The installed head on my boat is concealed under a drop board next to the galley. It's a reasonably elegant solution given the space constraints. My plan for next year is to replace the head with a composting toilet to reduce the weight of a holding tank, but fitting one into the limited space is a precision challenge.
Breno1 likes this.
Old 05-03-2013

Thanks a lot Rob!!!

Very helpful and detailed information.. it shows that you know your boat really well...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!