Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Alejuela 38 vs Pearson 365/367

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNADAVE View Post
Thanks SloopJonB for your comprehensive reply and explanation. All makes perfect sense and I particularly like the 'row away factor'. Can I trouble you to explain the acronym IMHO in relation to coastal cruising?
Your advice in relation to starting with a coastal cruiser before stepping up to a blue water boat is appreciated. I am not the total novice that you may think having sailed sheltered waters on various craft for the past 40 years or so however my experience on blue water craft is zilch and I accept that I'm still in nappies in this regard.
Heading offshore is a dream of mine and quite possibly a pipe dream at that but I am a firm believer in holding onto dreams in the hope that they one day become reality.
I didn't mean to rain on your parade about going offshore. I simply have learned over the years, from my own and others experience, that dreams very frequently change over time. This particularly applies to the kind of boats one wants as well as the amount of time one wants to spend aboard. The level of luxury & equipment desired changes as well.

I have met many people who have become dissatisfied because they bought a boat suitable for their future dreams but that was not as suitable for the type of sailing they were actually doing. True offshore boats make pretty poor coastal cruisers, just as the reverse is also true.

Conveniently, there is an article on the Pearson 365 in the May issue of "Sailing" magazine - check it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2013

GUNNADAVE is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for your replies and clarifications. I am now more the wiser for them. I note no one ventured an opinion of the separate shower cubicle vs the combined head facilities! Perhaps this just isn't worthy of a reply and for me to have asked shows my ignorance in cruising circles.
Thanks jameswilson29 for the Mahina Expedition link. It is interesting to note that for every opinion there is an equal and opposite opinion which seems true for the abilities of the Pearson 365.
Next weekend I am spending some time with a man who has crossed the English Channel in a Mirror Dinghy (an 11'6" open sail boat) using a hand held compass for directions. His method of navigation was dubious but luckily it ended well for him. I intend to find out if he would do it again but I guess this just goes to show that any type of vessel is capable of heading offshore given the right conditions and a whole lot of luck!
Keep the responses coming however for my part I'll no longer be replying. I am going to take Robert Perry's advice and spend my time sailing rather than reading or in this forum's case, writing.
David
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 05-05-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Damn David. Now I feel bad. Don't go away. Just sail more. There has toi be a balance so that when you read something you have some real world experience to translate what you read. I was a kid once. I know this is true because I lived it.

I will now go to my cubicle and begin whipping myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

Old 05-05-2013

gtod25 is on a distinguished road

GUNNADAVE, from your mention of "nappies" in your earlier post and the "English Channel" in the recent one I can only assume that you are of the English persuasion (or at least British). As an Irishman I have enjoyed your mild flogging. I hope you understand who Bob Perry is. Many of us are not just fans we are borderline groupies. The last time I asked him a question it cost me $500 and the answer was worth 4 times that much. It would be like asking a question on a football board and getting a reply from Alex Fergueson.

I understand that if you are UK based access to a wide variety of older designed sailboats might be an issue. I'm US based and its easy to get on-board and even sail many different designs. Books and web info can help to fill the void but as you say opinions are like butts', everyone has one.

Have fun sailing in the British summer, whatever day that falls on.

Old 05-05-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNADAVE View Post
Thanks to all for your replies and clarifications. I am now more the wiser for them. I note no one ventured an opinion of the separate shower cubicle vs the combined head facilities!
A separate shower is nice if you have the space to spare - a 36' is minimal for that luxury, especially on an offshore boat - you'd use the space better for storage. Just have a watertight toilet paper compartment.

Quote:
Next weekend I am spending some time with a man who has crossed the English Channel in a Mirror Dinghy (an 11'6" open sail boat) using a hand held compass for directions. His method of navigation was dubious but luckily it ended well for him. I intend to find out if he would do it again but I guess this just goes to show that any type of vessel is capable of heading offshore given the right conditions and a whole lot of luck!
The guys on Top Gear modified a Toyota pickup to float and drove it across the Channel with a 35 HP outboard on the tailgate.

It CAN be done on a log, the question is - Do you want to?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-05-2013

Ok, so I am back even though I said I wouldn't be posting any more replies however I have taken bobperry's and gtod25's bait and have been lured back into the fold.
Firstly let me clarify that I am an Aussie not a Brit. Secondly I am very much aware of who Bob Perry is. His reputation amongst the world yachting fraternity is legendary. I very much admire his designs and would not mind being the proud owner of one of his creations. I was amazed and chuffed to see Bob taking the time to comment on my post.
I do not know Bob personally but understand him to be a fellow Aussie from years ago before he left our shores for the States. Whilst I do know of Bob (from 'all' the reading I do) I was not aware of his sense of humour. I was rather taken aback at his first reply to my post and felt suitably chastised. However, upon receiving further replies from Bob I am beginning to realise that he has a unique sense of humour that might be misconstrued by the unwary (me). I realise now that I am the 'dog' that Bob was enjoying poking with his stick! This said I sincerely hope that Bob hasn't gone too hard on himself as he gives himself a sound whipping in his cubicle. That would be with a stick, right? I'm beginning to think that Bob has a bit of a thing for sticks!!!! Quite interestingly me thinks Bob is the type of person who we regard in this country as someone who doesn't mind giving plenty of stick! Must be his Aussie roots.
In all seriousness I have appreciated the replies and thanks SloopJonB for your thoughts on the separate shower. I still wonder however whether having to wipe everything down between uses would end up being a pain? I think I would tire of having to do this rather quickly. Still, an onboard shower whatever the type beats what we use on our trailer sailer. You may be familiar with the solar shower. We leave it lying on the deck to heat up then hoist it up the mast before standing under it to rinse off. Fortunately in the land down under we are blessed with plenty of sunshine (unlike the UK - thanks gtod25) so the shower works well throughout most of the year.
Cheers,
David
Old 05-05-2013

whoops. Meant to add that I was going to send a personal response to Bob and gtod25 but found that my SailNet status would not allow me to do so. Hence the reason for posting a public reply.
Old 05-06-2013

gtod25 is on a distinguished road

A Skippy who got bent out of shape and went off in a huff because he got a slagging?, WTF. (The Americans will understand none of this). Separate shower stall, I have a 42 footer and do not have one of these. If you are a real cruiser it will use it to store crap and not shower. Seriously, not a priority.

Old 05-06-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Dave:
Glad you stayed.
Yep, you have me pretty well figured out. But you are not "the dog". Nobody in particular is the dog. And for the record I have two dogs and I never poke them with a stick.

As for my meager attempts at humor. I think they are my way of covering up my own frustration over not alwys being able to explain clearly what I am thinking. I alsoi get frustrated when faced with the objective elements of yacht design some posters are still sceptical and would rather hold on to old myths rather than learn and move ahead. My problem I guess. I have spent many years doing this and the fact is I take it seriously. I've devoted my life to it. So when I see BS posted I feel a duty to correct it. I need to relax more. As I tell my clients, "We are not talking about starving children here. It's only boats."
Attached Thumbnails
Alejuela 38 vs Pearson 365/367-bob-walks-dogs-2b.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 05-06-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
As I tell my clients, "We are not talking about starving children here. It's only boats."
I particularly liked Bill Gardens comment in one of his books about how he was operating a branch office of Santa's workshop. "All our boats are toy boats"