Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
What worries me is - is a blown head gasket the beginning of this boat's problems or the end? The last buyer walked away after the survey, and I assume he/she was also offered the same cut in the price.

E.
If you can get a copy of the survey, do so- that will answer a whole load of unknowns.

There are many many boats in the same price range and same LOA range that are ready to go today in your area. Place a wanted ad on craigslist and see what comes out of the woodwork.

All that being said, if it is simply a blown head gasket (evidenced by being hard to start but starting and running, with low compression, no compression, white smoke- if it is hard to start but runs, with black smoke, the problem is rings, valves, or valve seals) It is a relatively simple fix on a volvo diesel- certainly a lot simpler than replacing the head gasket on a DOHC gasoline automotive engine. If you can build Ikea furniture, you can apparently read a manual, so you should be able to fix a head gasket.... and it is a good idea to learn to fix a head gasket.

Replacing a head gasket is certainly cheaper and simpler and less time consuming than installing an outboard mount and outboard and remote controls to the cockpit and a new gas tank, etc., etc...
Faster, JimMcGee and bristol299bob like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post

Replacing a head gasket is certainly cheaper and simpler and less time consuming than installing an outboard mount and outboard and remote controls to the cockpit and a new gas tank, etc., etc...
...not to mention what that does to the beautiful lines of that boat.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-30-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Did the owner know the head gasket was blown when he accepted the offer from the first buyer? If he did and didn't disclose that I would start to look at the boat with an electron scanning microscope. There may be other issues. The boat does look clean, maybe a bit too clean. Did the blown head gasket allow coolant into the chamber which maybe lead to hydro locking and possibly to a bent rod. Sails in good shape? I'd low ball it by about $5k, he doesn't want two boats.
Good question. In a separate ad on the Cape Dory message board he says the blown head gasket came up in the survey during the sale. On the other hand, the boat was very reasonably priced, so maybe he did know before the survey. Or maybe he just doesn't want two boats.

If a blown head gasket is easy to fix, why wouldn't the owner fix it instead of cutting the price $4000?
Old 04-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Because many owners don't have the skill, or inclination, or time or interest or don't realize that, as daunting as it is to essentially decapitate an engine, it is not a technically complex job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
Can she fix a head gasket? I don't know.
Well, considering that is a crucial part of the equation, I think you'd better ask her.

Then, plan on getting your own survey before you buy, and be sure to get a qualified mechanic to do an engine survey as well. That way you'll know what you're getting into.

The bottom line here is, once you have the engine fixed (either DIY or by hiring someone else), will it still be a price you can afford? If the answer is no, obviously you walk away.

The one thing you do NOT want to do is buy the boat now, and plan on getting the engine fixed sometime down the road "when you can afford it." What will happen is that the boat sits, doesn't get used much (if at all), yet continues to eat away at your cash reserves as you pay for insurance, dockage or mooring, other maintenance, etc. That's a formula for spending, in the long term, way more than you ever wanted to.

Good luck.
JimMcGee and Sn0wman like this.
Old 04-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

CD is a blue water boat.. by your stated experience, I'd say don't go for it. You won't be happy and the boat won't be "happy" unless it's on the ocean. On the Bay, it would be a slug.

My boat is for sale.
Old 04-30-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

And since no one else said it, if this helps, this is a pretty poodr choice for the Chesapeake.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-30-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Check that spares are available. The head or block could be cracked. Assuming the engine is original then it is 33 years old and spares may well be in short supply or out of stock totally.

Also my spidy sense tells me that it is not going to be just a head gasket. They are about $30 and it takes 1 - 2 hours to replace assuming nothing else is wrong. A $4k drop for a head gasket.

Hmm plenty boats with running engines out there.
Old 04-30-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

It is a
Volvo
engine.

Unless you like being frustrated and paying exorbitant amounts for engine parts don't do it. I'd sooner take a cd 30' with an Atomic 4 gas engine than an old Volvo diesel.

cd 30' is a nice looking boat but the draft is a tad on the deep side for some parts of the Chessy.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
And since no one else said it, if this helps, this is a pretty poodr choice for the Chesapeake.
.. actually, I think Denise beat you to it!!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)