Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

I do like the Cape Dory classic lines, would any of the smaller ones be better suited to the Chesapeake? I'm shopping in the 26'-30' range.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

If the gang has successfully talked you out of the boat, why don't you tell us more about yourself and where you plan on sailing?

BTW, there are a LOT of Annapolis-area members here, and I'm sure some would come along to look at a few boats. If you wind up in Philly or the NJ shore, let me know, I'd consider coming along. Going boat shopping is kind of like going to an open house.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2013
Advanced beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
.. actually, I think Denise beat you to it!!!
And I was wondering why it took so long....I know it's not a perfect match, but I have a thing for pretty classic boats. Given how much $$$ I'll be throwing at it, it does help if it's pretty. I admit, I'll probably have ample time to reconsider my priorities while sitting on the Chessy in light air.

What's pretty, good in light air, and can be purchased for <$20,000?

E.

Last edited by emcentar; 04-30-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
I do like the Cape Dory classic lines, would any of the smaller ones be better suited to the Chesapeake? I'm shopping in the 26'-30' range.
I like classic lines too, but that doesn't mean that boats with classic lines are necessarily the best boats for my uses.

Think about how you'll use it and pick boats that excel in those conditions, not in how they look.

In my case I care about sailing performance in light winds and do coastal sailing -- scenarios that a full keel boat doesn't do well in. I think my Pearson 28-2 is a little ugly (it's got a huge freeboard and is beamy), but the combination of interior layout and sailing performance make it one of the better choices for me.

If budget is a concern I'd also recommend looking at boats that are a little bit smaller. A 25-27' boat (often with an outboard) will have sails that are half as much as a 30' boat, a motor that is 1/4 as much (if it is an outboard), simpler systems, and be much less money to maintain. Moorage will be about $100 cheaper per month (at least here in Seattle). They are still good sizes for coastal cruising with a couple.
Old 04-30-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
And I was wondering why it took so long....I know it's not a perfect match, but I have a thing for pretty classic boats. Given how much $$$ I'll be throwing at it, it does help if it's pretty. I admit, I'll probably have ample time to reconsider my priorities while sitting on the Chessy in light air.

What's pretty, good in light air, and can be purchased for <$20,000?

Erika
There are a lot of good boats out there in that price range. My default answer is the Tartan 30.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-30-2013
Advanced beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
If the gang has successfully talked you out of the boat, why don't you tell us more about yourself and where you plan on sailing?

BTW, there are a LOT of Annapolis-area members here, and I'm sure some would come along to look at a few boats. If you wind up in Philly or the NJ shore, let me know, I'd consider coming along. Going boat shopping is kind of like going to an open house.
Yes, you guys have definitely talked me out of this boat. But I was hoping you would - I could sense all that shiny teak was clouding my judgement.

I'm Washington, DC-based and have been sailing dingys (Flying Scots) on the Potomac for about 5 years. That may overstate my experience somewhat as I don't get out that many times in a year, but I could probably challenge an ASA101 course. Just enough experience to know how little I have. But I'm bored with river sailing within towing distance of my little marina and would like to move up to sailing a small cruiser on the Chessy. I don't want to race, I'm not looking to cross oceans - I just want to get out of the city and onto the water with my dog and my wife and a picnic cooler and maybe spend the night outside with a beer in my hand.

I've saved about $15,000, hopefully enough for a little starter boat and a slip for the season. The timing is terrible - both the wife and I are at risk for furloughs. But I just turned 40 and found out that I'm likely to spend my old age in a wheelchair (inheritable illness). I'd like to not wait much longer to get out there, since there's no guarantee I'll be able to have my retirement dream of sailing around on my boat.

E.
Old 04-30-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Tartan 27'.
Shoal draft 3'6" with centerboard up, 6' w/C/B down. You would be able to get into many gunkholes with this boat.
Classic lines, decent sailor.
Smallish cabin but big enough for two.
You won't likely find one with a Volvo engine in it.
You also won't have to spend that much up front.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-30-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

I spent a month on a 25 ft Hunter down in Florida doing the ICW and Keys. The wife and
I have spent many 3 day weekends on her as well. So you don't need a 30 footer. The biggest drawback of the 25 ft Hunter was no place to store a dink and a tad too much draft to wad comfortably to shore. If I was sailing the same area, the same way, I'd be looking at a swing keel/centerboard boat so I could beach her and step ashore dry.
emcentar likes this.
Old 04-30-2013
Advanced beginner

The Tartan 27 is beautiful, I admit, but there don't seem to be that many of them around. The very few I've seen are from the early to mid 1960s production runs.
Old 04-30-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

There are not that many T27's listed right now. You could join my Tartan 27 yahoo group (T27Owners) as people have listed their boats there. There is one on Martha's Vineyard and a few more will be up for sale soon.
I know of a "free" T27 hull in Mamaroneck, NY. No mast, diesel engine. Located mast in Fairhaven, MA.
There are a bunch of T30's listed though. The T30 has a more spacious cabin, is a stiff sailor but the draft is about 5' which wouldn't be much better than the cd 30' you were interested in. The T30 does not quite have that classic look though.

Everybody has one: