Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat. - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

Beautiful and local (I don't want delivery to eat too much into my budget) but I'm a little nervous about the 1964 part, particularly if lightly used over the last 12 years.

Tartan 27 sailboat

I'll add the Tartan 27 to my list, though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
I don't want to race, I'm not looking to cross oceans - I just want to get out of the city and onto the water with my dog and my wife and a picnic cooler and maybe spend the night outside with a beer in my hand.
You can do this very comfortably on a 25' boat. You can find nice examples for well under $10k and have a lot left in the budget. You'll want that anyway to cover unexpected maintenance (the first year with any new boat is expensive) and upgrades.

I cruised for 12 days on my Catalina 25 last summer and had a great time. The trip did get me thinking about an upgrade, but what really pushed the upgrade is a once a decade option (for me) to spend most of the summer sailing. My trip report from sailing the Catalina 25 is here:
Alex Wetmore is always busy with something… » Blog Archive » Sailing to the San Juans

Having owned a 25'/outboard boat and now owning a 29'/inboard boat I can say that the smaller boat is quite a bit cheaper and easier to maintain. Everything is simpler. It took me to the same destinations. Keep it simple.

Boat availability and what works well is quite different from the Chesapeake and Puget Sound, so I won't make specific boat suggestions. The Catalina 25 with a tall mast is an inexpensive option that worked well for me.

There are 27' boats that would be a good compromise between simplicity and space. Popular examples out here would be the Catalina 27, Cal 2-27, Pearson Triton, Albin Vega, Islander 28.
jimgo likes this.

Last edited by Alex W; 04-30-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
I don't want to race, I'm not looking to cross oceans - I just want to get out of the city and onto the water with my dog and my wife and a picnic cooler and maybe spend the night outside with a beer in my hand.

I've saved about $15,000, hopefully enough for a little starter boat and a slip for the season.

E.
Take a look at the Catalina 27. Here's the listing from YachtWorld for the Chesapeake area. It has boats from $4k to $15K with the range of conditions that would suggest. These boats are designed to be used exactly as you described.

Here's the best part. If you really like cruising the bay you can sell the boat in two years for exactly what you paid for it and move up. This will also have more room aboard for family and fido.

The best thing to do is go and look at some boats. That will give you a feel for the differences. Also let people know you're looking. A lot of the boats in this price range aren't listed on YachtWorld. Pick up the Salty Dog, check Craig's List and ask around in marinas. These boats are out there.

And there's no need to settle for something that needs a ton of work. Find a boat that someone loved. It will be much easier on both you and your wallet.

Oh, and don't discount day sailors like the Catalina 22 with a pop-top. They're like little pop-top campers and a lot of fun to sail. Overnighting in them is like camping in a pop-top trailer. And again in two years you can sell it for what you paid - and REALLY nice ones can be had for $5-$6K.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 04-30-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2013

Here's what I mean. We paid $6K for this Catalina 22 in 2006, sailed her for two years and made a few small improvements. Sold her for $7k in '08.

With the boat market down you could probably find something similar for $5K-$5,500 today.

Just be prepared that you'll see a lot of neglected boats in this price range before you find your perfect boat.

Best of luck,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Looks, schmooks.

You can't see how your boat looks when you are aboard her, and when you aren't aboard her you don't care how she looks because you just wish you were aboard.

Of course, I say this as the owner of an ugly boat.

emcentar, I understand your concerns regarding this maybe not being the right time to buy a boat, what with the risk of furloughs, etc...

But, you know in your heart- there is never a right time, and there are plenty of reasons available each and every day if you want a reason not to do it...

.... and you will find a reason why it IS the right time to pull the trigger on a boat purchase, if you want to bad enough.

You're here now for a reason, and that reason isn't for advice on how to avoid buying a boat for several more years.

After all, this ain't DON'TSailnet.
Captainmeme and msmith10 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Here's an idea...upper end of your price range but most Owners are willing to negotiate. These old Irwins are good sailors and have good draft for the Chesapeake. Not quite as pretty as the CD but, in my opinion, more attractive than the Catalinas or Hunters (not that those are bad boats - just a different aesthetic).

A boat this size would be a good day sailor and also give you a tremendous amount of flexibility in expanding your horizons later if you want to.

(I have no connection to or commerical interest in this boat).

1968 Irwin 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 04-30-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

Did anyone pull the oil dip stick and look to see if the oil is 'milky' with water? Anyone turn it over, for any 'noise', just like your car eng? A head gasket is not a deal breaker for me, if the oil isn't 'new', and no water in crankcase. I agree, a H-G can be replaced in about 4hrs, compression checked, fuel bled, and oil changed, charged Batt's and go. CD? Can you get a copy of the last insp? Or get your own insp done? My, 02 (which ain't worth 2 cents).
Old 04-30-2013

Andy, the OP said they weren't really handy, that's why I suggested something like the C27. 20-30 years newer than the Irwin, there are lots of them out there, lots of information on them on the web, the factory still supplies all the original parts, there's an active owners group and third party vendors that specialize in these boats.

Taken together that smooths the path for a new sailor and makes life a little easier.

Last edited by JimMcGee; 04-30-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I was looking for boats in your area up until about 2 months ago. There was a very nice Pearson 27 for sale at Ferry Point Marina near Pasadena, MD. Well maintained, and everything looked great. The seller wanted $7000. I don't know if it's still available, but she's worth a look. The seller was a really nice guy, in the military, and headed overseas. The boat had been his uncles, but he realized that with his deployments, he just couldn't justify the expense.

I had a fairly specific list of things I wanted in my boat this time around (e.g. cockpit seating for 6), and the Pearson just didn't quite make it for me, but she was tempting. If you are interested, you can PM me and I'll dig up his contact info. I have no relationship with the seller, but just liked him and understood the situation he was in.

Other than the Pearson, I would generally agree with Jim McGee's advice; Catalina's a great boats for a beginner. We had a 1984 C25, bought it for $1000 including the outboard. We probably sunk another $3-4K into it (bought a new outboard), but that would still put you well under your budget. As Jim said, the beauty of Catalinas is that they have a very broad network of aftermarket goods. You can find a TON of equipment for them, and replacement parts are plentiful. Had I been able to find one in my price range, I would have been VERY tempted to go with a C30 this time, in part because of the positive experience I had with the C25.

Another to consider is the Islander 28, if you can find one. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything negative about those boats, except due to neglect by previous owners. As to that Tartan 27 you linked to, she looks nice in the pictures. And a 15 year old boat may be more of a handful than a well cared-for, or recently renovated, 30-40 year old boat, depending on what the owner of the younger boat did to it (or didn't do to it).

As Alex rightly said, as the boat gets bigger, so does the cost of maintenance and ownership. A 25-28' is a great option, and a good way to "test the waters" to see if you enjoy boat ownership.

Another thing to consider is where you'll keep her. There is a guy on the C25 owner's site who keeps his boat near the 14th street bridge. GREAT location. I wish I had given that more consideration when I lived down there - I really missed getting out on the water. Ocaquan (sp?) and Solomons are also interesting options, depending on whether you live in the District, MD, or VA.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-30-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

My advice is to check the D.C., Annapolis, and Baltimore Craigslist (that's three separate pages) about as often as you check your email. Every couple weeks a boat comes up that would suit your needs. If you jump on it you can check it out before or after work that same day, and make an offer subject to survey before anyone else gets to it. I'll bet you could find something good for you at $6-8k, and put the rest of your budget in a slip/maintenance/furlough fund.

I'm also in the D.C. area, and I bought my first boat last year. It's a Cal 2-27 that has been perfect for our needs (family of four doing lots of weekend sailing and an occasional overnighter.) Right around the 27-foot range is where you start to see a decent amount of room below, and a real head with a door, if that is important to you.