SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/99022-please-tell-me-nutty-idea-so-i-will-stop-looking-boat.html)

emcentar 04-30-2013 01:51 PM

Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

I'm hoping to make my first sailboat purchase this year or next. A very pretty 1980 30' Cape Dory came on the market locally several months ago, but just out of my price range. However, the sale fell through because the survey showed engine has a blown head gasket, and the price has been lowered accordingly. It's now well-within my price range, although the repair will be a stretch.

Is it nuts for a novice to purchase a boat that needs a major repair? As much as I love the looks of this boat, it seems unwise for someone with my level of experience to take on a boat that needs major work. Should I just skip this boat and move on? I've been thinking about her for months, sorry she'd sold before I had enough saved to pay the original price.

Thanks, E.

(I don't think this is against the rules - here's a link to the boat Cape Dory 30)

xymotic 04-30-2013 02:04 PM

Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

Do you know how to repair a head gasket yourself? If you can do the work it;s not a strecth, if you are counting on paying to have the work done I'd say run away.

Faster 04-30-2013 02:08 PM

A head gasket change is something that should/might be doable without pulling the engine. But the issue, I suppose, is - is that ALL that's wrong? Who determined that was the problem? How reliable is that nugget of information.

The ability to DIY this is a big factor, as xymotic indicated.. cost wise and comfort level wise. Paying someone $80-100/hr will up the ante in a hurry.

A cherry boat with just this issue could be a good deal overall.. but but but.....

katsailor 04-30-2013 02:08 PM

how unskilled are you? you could alsways just sail her and fix the engine later if it is on a mooring and you can find an alternative method to charging the batteries.

sidney777 04-30-2013 02:13 PM

Can you fit an outboard bracket on it & put outboard ?? Blown head gasket could mean overheating & why ? Other problems with engine ?

overbored 04-30-2013 02:19 PM

if all the others systems are in good shape it would be a good deal 12.5k . offer 11k and and at that price you could afford to have someone replace the head gasket if that is the only real problem. that boat in good shape should sell for in the mid 20s. which engine does it have?

jimgo 04-30-2013 02:23 PM

I can appreciate the "stretched budget" issue, so let's look at it from a slightly different perspective. If you buy the boat this year and can't fix it yourself, and can't afford to pay someone else to fix it this spring/summer, will you be able to in the fall/winter? Or will you be essentially in the same financial situation at that time?

This is a buyer's market, and another CD may come alone in the interim that will be somewhere between the cost of what you'll pay for this boat, and what you'll pay for this boat plus the engine repairs. Will you kick yourself if that boat, or another, equally attractive boat comes up? I mean, you could be out playing/learning to sail, but instead your boat will be sitting. On the plus side, if you do get the engine looked over by a qualified mechanic and you're OK with paying whatever he says it will cost to get it back up to snuff (or doing the work yourself to make those repairs), you'll have a 1980 CD with a known-good engine (or about as known-good as you can get), and that peace of mind may be worth it to you, even IF you have to wait a year to really begin to enjoy her.

JimMcGee 04-30-2013 02:33 PM

Your worst case is the engine is shot. A new Beta Marine engine/trans combo will run you about $7K + shipping.

It's a fair bit of work but not rocket science to pull the old engine and swap in the new, especially if you know someone who's done it before and can help you through the process.

The question is would that $7K blow your budget and can you do the work?

In the boat's favor is the fact that she looks like she had an owner who kept her well. That's VERY important in a boat this age.

A lot of folks here will tell you to go for it (after all we all did), but at the end of the day you have to pay the bills and no matter how well maintained there will be additional expenses with any boat that need to be factored in.

Best of luck whether you decide this is the one or if it will be the boat you haven't found yet.

emcentar 04-30-2013 02:40 PM

My mechanical skill level: pretty unskilled. Sailing skill level: been sailing dingys for about 5 years. No cruiser experience. (The wind dies, I paddle home or get a tow.)

I am, however, married to a mechanical engineer. We have a deal - I buy the boat, she takes charge of the basic maintenance, at least until I learn how to do these things as well. (Can she fix a head gasket? I don't know.)

I have been assuming this is a repair I will have to have professionally done. Actually, given the $4,000 cut in the price (the original price was $16,500) I assume a hefty repair bill is in order.

What worries me is - is a blown head gasket the beginning of this boat's problems or the end? The last buyer walked away after the survey, and I assume he/she was also offered the same cut in the price.

E.

Captainmeme 04-30-2013 02:43 PM

Did the owner know the head gasket was blown when he accepted the offer from the first buyer? If he did and didn't disclose that I would start to look at the boat with an electron scanning microscope. There may be other issues. The boat does look clean, maybe a bit too clean. Did the blown head gasket allow coolant into the chamber which maybe lead to hydro locking and possibly to a bent rod. Sails in good shape? I'd low ball it by about $5k, he doesn't want two boats.