Model M-27 and interested to buy. If you
are familiar with this particular model, I
would appreciate to hear from you.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
Question on a used boat.

Used to have a Morgan Out Island 33. Don''t know anything about the Morgan in question. You should join the Morgan email group here on sailnet and ask the question. Theres a better chance of finding out some answers. Rob ~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 03-23-2001

Question on a used boat.

Also go to the Morgan Owner''s group web page and look at the 2 Morgan 27 pages:

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~kklein/

Also there are 3 M27s listed for sale on BoatSearch here on SailNet.

Lots of contacts for you!! Rob
Old 03-23-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Question on a used boat.

The Morgan 27 bears no resemblance to the Out Island series (which is the good news in my book). The Morgan 27 was a small IOR based race boats. I raced on them back in the 1970''s. They were reasonably fast for their day and fun to sail. They quickly became obsolete as J-type race boats began hitting the race course in the late 1970''s. They had pretty basic accomdations but certainly could be cruised on a limited basis. They were not all that well built and should be carefully surveyed as they were hard to keep together even when 25 years newer than they would be today. Still and all their structural shortcomings were reasonably well understood and so boats like the ones I raced on had been beefed up by the owners.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2001

Question on a used boat.

Jeff,
I was in no way intimating that the M27 was at all like the OutIslands. My main point, is if you want to find out about a boat, the best way in my opinion is to ask people that currently have the boat or have had the boat. Joining the Morgan email group is certainly an excellent way to accomplish this. Its a very active group. Also the Morgan owners web site has 2 M27''s. So there are 2 contacts right away. This is where I started when I bought my OI33. The OI33 was a very solid boat. Mine was 25 years old and did not have any structural problems. I owned it for a year and decided I wanted a boat that was more "fun" to sail. The Out Islands are definately cruising boats that don''t point well, but they are very comfortable. The people that own them that are into cruising swear by them. I can see why.
Old 03-24-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Question on a used boat.

No problem here. I did not necessarily think that you were saying that the M27 was like the Out Island series but since the Morgan 27 is not as well known as the more common Out Island series I wanted to make sure that it was clear that these are very different boats.

The more I learn about the Out Island series the more of a mystery that they become to me. At various times in my younger life, I would take jobs in Boat Yards while I was in college and when positions in the architectural profession were hard to come by. Other times, because I had worked in boat yards, I would be asked to help a friend do repairs on their boat. I also did some engineering and design for repair yards at different times in my life.

Through all of that I came in contact with repairs on Out Islands and came away thinking that they were very poorly built. I saw such problems as failed hull deck joints where the joint which was glued with 5200 and held with random and widely spaced bolts had separated. I saw really awful electrical work, with bare wire simply placed under the screw heads with pan connectors. I saw deck hardware simply attached with sheet metal screws into a plywood backing block and hardware with no backing blocks. I sailed on one in a chop and you could feel the boat wrack and twist with every wave and when hauled there were stress cracks in the topsides that were clearly visible at bulkeads and bunkflats.

AND YET in all fairness, I keep running into Out Island owners that say that their boats are really well built and don''t have any of these faults. I don''t think they are mistaken either. I really have come to believe that these boats were either built to various quality standards over the years, or else one of us are wrong and I know what I saw with my own eyes.

The Morgan 27 wa a neat boat in its day but it had problems with hull flex at the chainplate attachment and keel-hull joint problems. They also had a lot of leaks and electrical system problems.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2001

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
Question on a used boat.

First of all I don''t know where you would use this boat. Frankly I find the M-27 too small for anything but lake or bay day sailing. Unless you need the very shoal draft or can get a boat thats complete for a very low price I would not bother with one. Like I have said before I would not use a M-27 for nothing. For instance the Catalina 27 is a much better boat.
Old 03-25-2001

vuhai is on a distinguished road
Question on a used boat.

Thanks to everybody who responded. Gathering from your opinions, I guess I am better off looking for other boats.
Old 03-25-2001

Question on a used boat.

Mike, I think you are mistaking the Morgan 27 for another boat. They are not boats that I would say are "only a lake boat or a boat for shoal venues". I actually raced Morgan 27''s in some very rough conditions in the Atlantic off of Savannah. These were pretty good sailing boats once they were beefed up. They were not especially shoal, drawing over 4 1/2 feet if I remember correctly. Having spent a lot of time on both Catalina 27''s and Morgan 27''s, the Cats have bigger interiors but the Morgan''s are much better sailing boats in all ways and are better seaboats than the Catalina 27, which are anything but easy to sail in a breeze. The Morgan with a PHRF of 174 is also much faster than the Catalina at 204. While the Morgans has specific structural issues with the chainplate attachments, and keel attachements, both of which should have been addressed by now, they are far and away more robust boats than the Catalina 27''s.

Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.