Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2004

mmccoy is on a distinguished road
Boat comparison spreadsheet

A while back I ran across a website that had a fairly simple Excel spreadsheet for comparing (3) different boats.

It was semi-useful (i.e. ''quick & dirty) spreadsheet in that it automatically calculated D/L, B/D ratio, etc and charted the results.

It also provided subjective comparisons based on a value (0-20) for things like storage, galley, headroom, etc. You would assign the category a value based on how important the category was (based on your subjective assessment of the category) then total everything allowing you to compare these values between the boats.

Now I can''t find the spreadsheet or where I located it on the web.

Anyone know what I''m talking about and where I can find it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2004

gstraub is on a distinguished road

I don''t think this is what you are looking for specifically, but it has a lot of info on a lot of boats:

http://image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

I created my own Excel spreadsheet that I use for boat comparisons. I''d be happy to send you a copy if you are interested.

Gerhard
Old 06-28-2004

drynoc is on a distinguished road

Go to www.re-sail.net. All the numbers you need on over 2900 boats are already there, sorted every way you can imagine.
Old 06-28-2004

Neither was the particular spreadsheet I was looking for. Sailcalc is very nice though. Certainly more thorough regarding the ''important'' parameters (S/D, motion comfort, etc.). The re-sail database isn''t what I need as I have my ''short list'' and don''t need the extensive database of 2900 different boats.

What I thought was useful with the spreadsheet I was seeking is the ability to subjectively rank a number of ''user specified criteria'' on a scale of 1-20. For example, lets say the Galley is an important factor in choosing a boat. Maybe Boat ''A'' had the perfect galley. You would give it a ''20''. Boat ''B'' had a nice one but but the icebox didn''t have thick insulation. You would give it, say, a ''15''. The 3rd boat ''C'' didn''t have a galley at all so you would give it a zero.

The spreadsheet would then total up all the numbers in all the categories and give each boat a ''score''. I guess that would be easy enough to replicate on my own though. Just nice to have it ''integrated'' to something not unlike the sailcalc calculator in a stand-alone excel spreadsheet.

Gerhard, sure... I''m alsways looking for new wasy to look at data! I''d love to have a copy of the spreadsheet you created. You can send it to:

mmccoy@copper(remove).net

And thanks!
Old 06-28-2004

mdougan is on a distinguished road

Hi, I sent a seperate e-mail with an attached spreadsheet... not exactly the one your after but take it for what it''s worth...

I think I''d once seen the spreadsheet that you mentioned, however, I couldn''t find it either, when I went back to look at it... so, I constructed my own with calculations from various sources on the web. Below are the links I used to create it. None of these calcs is really useful for comparing metrics for different boats on galley size etc. but they will tell you something about sailing characteristics.

http://www.nsc.ca/tools/boat_metrics.htm
http://www.sailingusa.info/motion_comfort.htm
http://www.tedbrewer.com/yachtdesign.html
Old 06-29-2004

CherylannJohn is on a distinguished road

Seems that I read about that spreadsheet in "Good Old Boat"...within the last year?

John
Old 06-29-2004

Old 06-29-2004

Bingo John!

Good Old Boat rang a bell and I went to the site. I couldn''t find it just looking around on the website but when I did a google for "good old boat spreadsheet" it popped up:

http://www.goodoldboat.com/right_boat.html

However, I must say the spreadsheets that were sent to me (THANKS!) were more comprehensive. However, with a little tweeking the ''GOB'' spreadsheet will rank ''highly desirable items'' for 3 ''definable'' boats. Very subjective, but interesting/useful.

Thanks for remembering where you saw it.
Old 06-29-2004

Whoops.. double post