Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
calalina 30 or cal 9.2

This is my decision. Both in good shape, both 1981's. Could anyone in the know rundown the pros and cons of these boats. This will be my first bigger boat purchase and want to do it right. One I would have to sail the whole length of lake MI northbound and back down lake huron, the cal is practically in my back yard. I am looking to mainley club race but would like to go on some weekend cruises once in awhile. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: calalina 30 or cal 9.2

They are very different boats. The Catalina is a very beamy boat designed to fit as much interior as possible into a 30' boat and has a small rig for the boat size (unless you get the tall). The CAL is an IOR design cruiser/racer.

If you are mainly club racing the Cal sounds like a much better fit.

What really matters in the end is boat condition though.
Old 05-26-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

The Cal 9.2 is actually a pretty roomy boat for the period it was designed in. They built a lot of them here in Brazil and they are mostly used today as cruisers. I suspect it is quite a bit faster than the Catalina 30, but with all the (bad) manners of a typical IOR 70's boat.
Old 05-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Mainly race and occasional weekending would point to the Cal, if any of your crew is at all 'heelaphobic' then the Catalina will be a better pick. Hard to find a 'stiffer' boat than the Cat 30.

Our boat is, like the Cal, a Holland design of that era and is initially quite tender.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-26-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Owned a Cal 9.2 for 20 years. Cruised, daysailed and club raced. Its a sweet sailing boat. A bit tender, but nice balanced steering and really responds to sail trim and tweaking. Very quick upwind but a bear with the chute up in heavier winds (like most IOR boats). Its got a pretty nice interior for a race oriented boat. No hot and cold pressure water or propane stove with oven however. Boat is solid for being pretty light (7000 lbs). Major thing to be concerned about is the Universal 5411 diesel. It's raw water cooled and 30+ years may have corrosion issues. Had to replace mine with a rebuilt.
Old 05-27-2013

Thanks for the replies. You know how it is, now I am looking at the cal 9.2r a j29 and a person 28-2. I dropped the cat from my list as I have found some nicer boats in the same price range. Love any insight to any of these.
Old 05-28-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

J/29 and Pearson 28-2 are also quite different boats.

I have a Pearson 28-2 as you can see from my signature. It's a good cruising boat that can be raced. What I like about it are the great cockpit layout that makes the boat easy to single hand or to be raced by a crew of 4. The layout makes it pretty easy to have one on the main sheet, two managing the genoa or spinnaker, and one on the the helm. I'm still learning this boat and do better overall racing on my old Catalina 25 tall than on the Pearson 28-2 (but the Catalina also has sails that are in better condition...something that was obvious when we sailed them side by side in light airs on Sunday and the Catalina could point a little higher while maintaining a hair more speed).

A downside for racing the 28-2 is that it's got a lot of windage (my boat is worse because it also has a large dodger). Tie up a J/29 next to a Pearson 28-2 and you'll immediately see the differences there. The 28-2 has a large and comfortable cabin, but that comes at the cost of a higher freeboard, higher cabin height, and increased weight. The J/29 is going to be a lot faster when sailed well, and that is reflected in the PHRF (115ish for the J/29, 190ish for the 28-2) for each boat. However the Pearson is going to be a lot more comfortable to cruise on.

The only downside that I see for the 28-2 as a cruising boat is that it can be quite tender. It heels a lot, especially if the sails are getting baggy. I've sometimes wondered how a lower CVG (from a keel shoe) would change the boat.

I like my 28-2, but if I were mainly club racing with the occasional overnighter I'd probably be looking at something more performance oriented. I mostly cruise on it and do some racing, and it's well suited to that mix.
Old 05-28-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

For racing, no question the J-29 is the choice, but it doesn't have standing headroom so cruising is not a lot of fun . From your last post, it looks the Cal you are looking at is the 9.2R. The R version has a deeper lead keel (others are cast iron) and a taller double-spreader mast (others are single spreader).
Old 08-08-2013

daledog is on a distinguished road

I owned a Cal 9.2. The PO was a serious Lake Erie racer and the Cal won a lot of races. I sailed her from Toledo to North Carolina. Live aboard her for 2+ years.

I had carbon fiber sails, custom made, so when I wanted to go fast I did. As for the 5411, mine was a 1981 used entirely for racing. It had under 300 hours on it! I came in the Manasquan NJ inlet in bad conditions and the little diesel was awesome. So it depends on the hours. PLUS...it's a fresh water boat. Could very well be fine. Unwrap and check the mixing elbow FOR SURE. THEY always blow on a boat that old...any make...

How much is the Cal? A friend of mine bought mine and he may be willing to sell...tough couple years financially...
Old 08-08-2013

For the record, I ended up buying a Tartan 30.