SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Shocker Wife likes the J boat

Tags
j 70 j boat j70
5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ardsranger 
#1 ·
Hi guys, We are getting a boat for some family time day sail.

We were looking into a Catalina 320. She liked the cabin but said i think i would enjoy trying a regatta's and going fast.

In the past i always enjoyed regatta's on my Nacra and Windsurf Regatta's.

She wants a mono hull, I agree with her.
What a change of perspective from a C320 to a Fun Little Boat

After a lot of looking we are considering the J70
jboats.com/j70-one-design-sailboat

They appear to have a lot of room for the 3 of us (Wife, 12 year old and myself) considering it is 23 foot boot.

Does any one have any Input of the J boat ( J 70)
I would love to hear what you think of it

We also talked about the possibility of spending a lot of Father son time day sailing her. We think this is a boat he would enjoy sailing as he get older.

We are still pondering it and about concluded, this may be a "For NOW" boat that we keep and buy a 34+ "IT" boat in a few years

See less See more
#4 ·
the J-88 will be a good boat when it comes out but at $150k+ it's three times the cost of a J-70 which is a fun racing keel boat that can be trailer/ day sailed. it is a little bit more to handle then some daysailer with it's backstay flicker requiring you to loosen and tighten the backstay on every tack.

#3 ·
What's the recommended crew weight for the J/70? I think it's higher than your combined weight...

If you are looking for a performance oriented day sailer you might consider the Thistle. Also check into what one design fleets are active in your area.

#7 ·
I did the test sail on the J70 a few days before Sandy came in last year and while it was a capable little boat and did fine in the big air that day :D

It is a really TINY boat and you would be had pressed to even take a pee down below NOW if your happy with the Nacra it is not a problem ;)

BUT are your looking for a bit more comfort OR Total performance :confused:

Don't confuse the J88s possibility of being place on a trailer with trailering it being remotely practical or even legal with the 9.50' beam and 5000# empty boat weight

#11 ·
Yes i Like to go fast, I hate to be passed on the water.

let me rephrase that
the 88 has a potty room for a cooler both are wife friendly :) (comfort)

as Far as Trailer just able to get it out of water if i decide and leave it on site. I have no intent on towing it around town and down the road.
I have been looking into prices of storing boat on property, slip fees, dry dock
so on. Still in research mode.

As you see i am totally new to living around water.
So i am learning as i am going.

#10 ·
Need to look at the Viper 640 if the J/70 is under consideration. Both are excellent boats, with growing fleets of very friendly people. Price point on the Viper may be a bit easier on the wallet.

And if budget is a major consideration, then why not look at the J/80, which is a great little boat (albeit not trailerable in the same way as the other two) and very affordable right now?

If trailerability isn't necessary, then the J/22 should also be considered, as an excellent day sailer and proven racer. I believe the World Championships are coming up this summer in Newport, if I'm not mistaken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.