Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014

Kyle is on a distinguished road
Triton Owner's - Review Help

This may be overstepping, but I'm asking for input/help.

I hope someone will feel strongly enough about the merits of the Triton to get tough with me about some facts. I'm writing a novel. The main character is purchasing an East Coast / 1962 Pearson Triton.

If you have strong feelings about east vs. west coast Tritons or any other aspects about the boat your input would be appreciated - because on the very slim chance that you would read this novel I would not want to annoy you by leaving out the most crucial aspects of this fantastic Alberg design.

Backdrop to main plot:
The main character is buying the boat from the only owner the boat has had since purchasing it new in 1962. The original owner, a gregarious WWII veteran, has grown too old to sail the boat - blah, blah, blah... The new owner loves the boat and will try to resurrect his racing days at a somewhat defunct yacht club that is now mostly power-boaters who are not much interested in the hey-day of sailboat racing at their now floating-cottage club, blah, blah...

The boat will be in pristine condition due to the meticulous maintenance of original owner.

What should I not leave out if you were to read this novel. What small, significant information do you feel would be crucial for the main character to love this Triton aside from the fact that it is in perfect condition and was owned by a man that he respects and admires?

Thanks you for any feedback.

Best regards,
Kyle
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Triton Owner's - Review Help

Are you a sailor yourself?

In printed word I think the biggest thing to get right is terminology and vernacular. Don't call the galley a kitchen, or a berth a bed.. that sort of thing. There's a whole language that goes with this and any sailor will quickly get frustrated with mix-ups there.

If any illustrations are to be included they need to be accurate, esp with regard to rigging and sail details.

Most of this should look after itself if you sail yourself. If you don't you need to get a proof reader who is an experienced sailor.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-05-2014

Faster,

I agree completely. As a sailor myself I would be disappointed to read any mistaken wording about sailing. I'm going to keep it as true as I would expect to read without trying to alienate any non-sailors who, if any, ever read my work.

I guess I was thinking more of the "insider" Triton knowledge that would only annoy the Triton crowd.

For example: That forward hatch would be delaminated after all the years of use and would have had to have been rebuilt.
Or, the Atomic 4 probably would have been original but some came with a Westrebeke.
Or, the Wilcox Crittenden winches were original but everybody got rid of those because the fell apart...

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 01-05-2014

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

One characteristic of the 28' Triton that is a little unique is that, by modern standards, it has a tall mast, and consequently, a large sail area. If you look at a Triton in a marina full of sailboats, you'll see that it's mast is as tall as many 34-35' boats. The extra sail area gives it enough sail power to drive it's heavy displacement and full keel. Full keel boats like the Triton aren't generally known for their speed or their ability to sail close to the wind, but, because of the Triton's generous sail area, it can generate more speed and it can point higher than most modern sailors would expect of it's design and it's era. Likewise, when well sailed, the Triton is capable of remarkably good performance in light air. IMO, it is these exceptional sailing qualities that has endeared it to so many people.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 01-05-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2014

Salormon6,

This is great information. The character needs to be in love with this boat and these would certainly be reasons. I also picked the design because it still has classic lines and was made in 1962 and later which works into the timeline of the story.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 01-05-2014

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

Since you aren't getting many responses so far, let me add some observations that you might find useful. Of course, one of the qualities of a Triton that people like about the boat is it's ability to withstand heavy weather. When the conditions are bad enough that they begin to scare you, you'll really appreciate the boat that can stand up to it. The boat has enough weight that it can keep driving to windward against heavy chop. If the speed begins to drop because of the chop, you can start the engine, and the engine, when coupled with the sail power, will help the boat drive to windward through the chop. If the engine is an A4, one trait of the A4 is that the engine is prone to stalling if the boat heels excessively. The reason is that, if the boat heels too much, the gasoline spills out of the carburetor float, causing the engine to stall due to fuel starvation. If you reduce the angle of heel, the engine will start again. One other somewhat unusual quality of the boat is that, because of it's weight, it can coast for an unusually long distance in smooth water without either engine or sail power. If the engine stalls while entering a marina, it might coast far enough to get to a dock or piling that you can tie up to temporarily.
Old 01-06-2014

Great details. These are very helpful to create authenticity as characters can discus the merits at pitfalls of things like the A4. I have to get my facts straight on the production of the East Coast Tritons to see if the A4 was standard. I also have to order Atom Voyages - character will have read the book himself.

Thanks again.

Tags
help needed , pearson triton , review