Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Islander Freeport 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowanocna View Post
I guess this migt be the last question here. Is there ok cockpit drainage, or does the water go in the bilge? Thanks in advance.
Other than small daysailers, no boat's cockpit is going to drain to a bilge. Certainly anything over 20 feet with a typical deck/cockpit arrangement will drain overboard or through dedicated through hull fittings (hopefully properly installed and valved.)

The main issue with many boats that were not specifically built for offshore duty is that the drains, while they'll handle rainwater and the occasional splash OK, they may take too long to drain a cockpit filled with a breaking wave...

However having owned such a boat I can tell you there are few more efficient bailers than two panicked women!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2014

sowanocna is on a distinguished road

Lol.. Fair enough. Was just reading up on changing the companionway doors as well. Looks like a serious contender. Thanks so much everyone, I think I got what I needed. its great to know people are willing to help, hope I'll return the favour. And thanks SailNet. :-)
Old 01-26-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

There are cockpit drains. I have never drained a cockpit into the bilge. I have never seen anyone do that.That would be dangerous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 01-26-2014

Thanks Mr. Perry, I wrote that hastingly I think, I googled Islander Freeport no bridgedeck, and found a what seemed otherwise very seaworthy 27, where people who bought it had that exact situation, and were trying to change it (water draining into the builge). Sure, it seems insane. I also found a fairly indepth description of someone changing the companionway door, to a long door, as the old one was worn out. They suggested to always keep the door closed while underway, and while having the new door fit tight, they expect to have no problems with water getting in. Will follow them, hope it works. Thanks again, I am quite calm about all of it now - thanks to you. :-)
Old 01-26-2014
grumpy old man

Sow:
One way of doing it to comply wirth regulations wne racing is to have a lower door panel that comes as high as the cockpit seats. This door panel has to able to be locked in place. But you can step over it. Keeeping a full height door in place alll the time while sailing is crazy. 99% of the time I'd have that big door wide open. The ease of going below on the F-36 is one of it's attractive features.

One of my bigger boats MARLIN having some powerful fun on the coean with the big pilot house door wide open.
christian.hess likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-26-2014

That, is a beautiful thing. I am talking to a rare artist.. I have to say this: I have looked at many boats. One thing I have found, is that after a while, I have noticed that certain boats, simply put, almost turn me on. I know, that when I already like the boat on the outside, and then look below, I automatically either get "that feeling", or not. Your boats -:-) - Art. Yeah, the people did also replace the boards with the single long door. They did mention that their friend fell in through the companionway during some sort of freak wave, hence Im sur that is a big part for them why they want to keep it closed. Fair enough, I would hate the feeling of being sort of stuck on only a part of the the boat. I guess maybe simply replacing the boards would be enough, if they are older, and leak. I seriously dont think this should be a big problem. Mostly, I wanted to have that confidence one needs to fully enjoy what they are doing. I skii as well, I happened to be near a slope when we got a surprise snow storm, so I rented the equipment, told the man the boots are just a tad big, didnt have the confidence, but told myself, that I cant let this ruin a rare day on the hill, and pressed as hard as Im used to. Naturally I ate it, ate it hard. He replaced my boots, but the rest of the day just wasnt the same. Knowing what you told me, Im sure the " shoe fits". Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2014
grumpy old man

Sow:
Gee whizz, thanks for those kind words. If you like you can call me "maestro" I like that. It makes me feel important.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-26-2014

Lol. Maestro it is. Maestro Perry. :-)
Old 01-26-2014
grumpy old man

Thanks. I like that.
Lou452 likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-26-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
There are cockpit drains. I have never drained a cockpit into the bilge. I have never seen anyone do that.That would be dangerous.
Yes I know it is not blue water. Can I ask about the Catalina-22 ? This boat is (new to me) previous owners have changed some things and it looks like a nice boat for its age. The two forward drains run out the sink ? I have two shut off valves at these drains. I have one on the sink. Are these forward drains just for rain water when the boat is on the trailer ? Should they be closed underway ? The stern has two drains for the cockpit. Total of four drains.
I am learning and this seems like a good opportunity.
Kind regards, Lou

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.