SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Islander Freeport 36

32K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  beachbm61 
#1 ·
A bit off subject, I am having problems finding proper threads, so Ill have to attempt to dump this question here. Is Islander Freeport 36 ( a common boat in western usa ) hull and rigging capable of deslimg with the Caribbean? Any close to a blue water boat? Cant find answers anywhere on the internet..

#2 ·
Re: Islander 36 projects in paradise!!!!!

yeah man for sure! those islander freeport are definetaly more coastal cruisers and comfier

I crewed on one shortly in baja california and the amount of room and space they had even compared to my islander gurney 36 was impressive
my boat is beamy sort of ior but in cruise mode, slow in very light winds but can take 35knots easy like they do in san francisco, ca

you have a nice boat, and for the caribbean its fine...do a search for islander freeport using google images and youll see a lot cruising

:D

#3 · (Edited)
Well I am glad someone moved this here to be in it's own post. Generally it is better to start another thread than to side track someone eases. I think perhaps you need to be a bit more clear as to where the boat will be and what your plans are with the boat before you get a conclusive answer. Some of your posts have been kind of all over the place. And I am not sure what deslimg means.

There are a couple of different Islander 36's and the other thread was about a quite different boat. assuming this is your boat:
ISLANDER FREEPORT 36 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The Freeport is an almost pilot house or deck salon design. With the big windows, it looks like a great boat to do some coastal sailing on. While they make for a very airy living space, they are susceptible to being stove in by waves so I am not sure I would consider it "blue water" style boat. But the Caribbean is not really blue water anyway. Most spots are always in sight of land, so really more coastal and the type of sailing this boat was made for. They call it island hopping, not island passage making for a reason. If it is not already in the islands it might be a slog to get it there, but if you pick a good weather window should be no problem at all. Bob Perry the designer, frequents here so hopefully he will chime in. You might send him a PM if he does not respond here once you get enough posts. (I think it requires 15 posts to send a Private Message)

Here are some reviews from this site:

Freeport36 - My Product Gallery

#4 ·
Thanks for taking time to help out, including moving the thread. "Desling"= dealing. Tablet typo.. Those are all the reason why I love this boat- space, the Pullman() bearth? All the headroom. And as most people seem not to like the head, I think its a fantastic size with space for easy but surely rare shower.. Still, it would be great to know that if cought in some weather, the boat would handle it. I may have to single hand it as well. In the Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico. Would also want to be able to run up and down the east coast sometimes. It does have kind of a deep drsft for Florida and Caribbean? Hence my favourite boat remains Kadey Krogen 37. There is another swing keel built in Britain of simular size as the Islander Freeport, also almost a pilot house, ( lost track of the name) with a wheel inside as well as in the cockpit, but I head can be hard to sail. I think ( I am no expert my any means, just have been reading everything I can, sailed some in the Gulf, and for many years sailed on a lake in a small boat) I would like to know I would be safe in the Freeport, in the places I talked about, granted I dont take huge risks with the weather, althoigh I am by nature a risk taker to a degree, so there is always a chance of getting cought in the wrong stuff. Wouldnt want to loose a mast, or have the hull not hold up. I Just joined the FOGgers website, hope they let me in, will bother them there as well. Anything on safety of the Freeport would be appreciated, as this seems an easier to find boat, then a Krogen, or a CSY33.. :)

#5 ·
Forgot to add - Bob Perry visits here? Must be an honor for sailnet. The man is in eveything I read about sailing...:) I suppose if he said yay or nay to my not so concise questions, all fears would be fully alleviated.. Not that I dont trust the nice people who have helped already...Still.....:)

#7 ·
Well, thanks for the kind words but I'm just another guy who thinks about boats 84.72% of the time.

There used to be a guy who sailed his Freeport 36 from San Fran to Seattle and back each summer If you can do that in the boat you can pretty mcuh do anything. The only caveat I would add is that companionway is really big and a true blue water boat would probably have a bridge deck. But I'd say the boat would be a magnificent fit for the Caribbean.

#8 ·
Well, thanks for the kind words but I'm just another guy who thinks about boats 84.72% of the time.

There used to be a guy who sailed his Freeport 36 from San Fran to Seattle and back each summer If you can do that in the boat you can pretty mcuh do anything. The only caveat I would add is that companionway is really big and a true blue water boat would probably have a bridge deck. But I'd say the boat would be a magnificent fit for the Caribbean.
You have done well you are taking the time answer a post. You get to have fun working at our play time. What's our excuse for spending 85% of our time with boats ? I might have to spend some time thinking about that .:)
Good day, Lou

#9 ·
Mr. Perry, absolutely fantastic to get a reply from you, and just as all the people out there, love your boats. I have thought about sailing half my life. Now that it seems more possible since I dont have any other pressing responsibilities, I have come back to the idea of cruising/living aboard, and with any luck it will be on one of your bosts. The more I read, the more I want more. What could be better, then feeling like a knowlege hungry child. And again, I hope you dont mind - fantastic to hear from a legend. Makes the out look on the whole adventure, that much easier to continue to attempt!

#11 ·
Other than small daysailers, no boat's cockpit is going to drain to a bilge. Certainly anything over 20 feet with a typical deck/cockpit arrangement will drain overboard or through dedicated through hull fittings (hopefully properly installed and valved.)

The main issue with many boats that were not specifically built for offshore duty is that the drains, while they'll handle rainwater and the occasional splash OK, they may take too long to drain a cockpit filled with a breaking wave...

However having owned such a boat I can tell you there are few more efficient bailers than two panicked women! ;)

#12 ·
Lol.. Fair enough. Was just reading up on changing the companionway doors as well. Looks like a serious contender. Thanks so much everyone, I think I got what I needed. its great to know people are willing to help, hope I'll return the favour. And thanks SailNet. :)

#20 ·
Yes I know it is not blue water. Can I ask about the Catalina-22 ? This boat is (new to me) previous owners have changed some things and it looks like a nice boat for its age. The two forward drains run out the sink ? I have two shut off valves at these drains. I have one on the sink. Are these forward drains just for rain water when the boat is on the trailer ? Should they be closed underway ? The stern has two drains for the cockpit. Total of four drains.
I am learning and this seems like a good opportunity.
Kind regards, Lou

#14 ·
Thanks Mr. Perry, I wrote that hastingly I think, I googled Islander Freeport no bridgedeck, and found a what seemed otherwise very seaworthy 27, where people who bought it had that exact situation, and were trying to change it (water draining into the builge). Sure, it seems insane. I also found a fairly indepth description of someone changing the companionway door, to a long door, as the old one was worn out. They suggested to always keep the door closed while underway, and while having the new door fit tight, they expect to have no problems with water getting in. Will follow them, hope it works. Thanks again, I am quite calm about all of it now - thanks to you. :)

#15 ·
Sow:
One way of doing it to comply wirth regulations wne racing is to have a lower door panel that comes as high as the cockpit seats. This door panel has to able to be locked in place. But you can step over it. Keeeping a full height door in place alll the time while sailing is crazy. 99% of the time I'd have that big door wide open. The ease of going below on the F-36 is one of it's attractive features.

One of my bigger boats MARLIN having some powerful fun on the coean with the big pilot house door wide open.

#16 ·
That, is a beautiful thing. I am talking to a rare artist.. I have to say this: I have looked at many boats. One thing I have found, is that after a while, I have noticed that certain boats, simply put, almost turn me on. I know, that when I already like the boat on the outside, and then look below, I automatically either get "that feeling", or not. Your boats -:) - Art. Yeah, the people did also replace the boards with the single long door. They did mention that their friend fell in through the companionway during some sort of freak wave, hence Im sur that is a big part for them why they want to keep it closed. Fair enough, I would hate the feeling of being sort of stuck on only a part of the the boat. I guess maybe simply replacing the boards would be enough, if they are older, and leak. I seriously dont think this should be a big problem. Mostly, I wanted to have that confidence one needs to fully enjoy what they are doing. I skii as well, I happened to be near a slope when we got a surprise snow storm, so I rented the equipment, told the man the boots are just a tad big, didnt have the confidence, but told myself, that I cant let this ruin a rare day on the hill, and pressed as hard as Im used to. Naturally I ate it, ate it hard. He replaced my boots, but the rest of the day just wasnt the same. Knowing what you told me, Im sure the " shoe fits". Thanks again!

#21 ·
The forward drains are probably the ones doing the work when you're sleeping in the V berth on a rainy night. It's not all that uncommon for builders to combine drains like sink and cockpit, but a bit less than ideal. You can never have too much drainage in the event you get caught in rough conditions. Those through hulls probably should not be closed underway unless the sink tends to fill when heeled.

Reactions: Lou452
#26 ·
We met some folks at the boat show in Seattle that sell watermakers. They have a Islander Freeport (I think) and they have a blog. They got into some pretty rough conditions off the coast of Washington and Oregon a couple years ago and the boat did fine. Their blog is;

Eagle's Big Left Turn

#28 ·
Reactions: bobperry
#32 · (Edited)
Nice pool it should have two drains. Both connected this so a person can not be held to the drain buy serving as a drain stopper. Yes' I might think a drain is fundamental to life. :D I make a living with pipe. Water gas and air WOG Another drain The propane locker drain on some of the larger boats need to be reworked. propane will not run uphill or drain thru water. Unlike water it can go boom. Boats heel and this changes the angle of the drain. I hope I can keep this in mind when I shop for a bigger boat. I am not sure I would feel safe with the any gas that is not lighter than air. Might have to be all diesel ? Thanks for answers about the cockpit drains on my little boat.

What boat is in the Picture ? It looks nice and solid at the dock. Any pictures of it sailing ? I do not know a lot about boat types. I am learning. I was trying to find it on sailboat Data but keep getting this full keel and one other that I am sure is not it.
Good day, Lou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.