Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road
2002 C&C 110 Review

Hi Guys (and Girls),

Some years ago I wrote a review of my O'day 35. A number of people appreciated it, so I figured I would do the same now that I have sailed my C&C for a season.

C&C 110:
My boat is a 2002 model with epoxy hull, 6' draft keel, aluminum double spreader rig.

The C&C 110 is a 'racer / cruiser' that is high performance sailing oriented, while still having enough cruising amenities to make spending a few days or a week on board comfortable.

Good things:
Sailing performance - I haven't sailed on 100's of boats, but I have been on enough and raced against enough to know that this boat just rocks! It has a powerful sail plan (SA/D of over 23) and is fully powered up in 8-10 kts of wind. The boat points very high and just goes like crazy. The PHRF number for my boat is 91 in the cruising class (no spinnaker, 135 headsail, etc.), which is fair.

Room - This is a relatively wide 36' boat. Plenty of space down below. The aft cabin is large and has good storage. The V Berth has great storage. It is also hinged with gas struts to provide easy access to additional storage. The head has decent size and includes a separate shower stall that is usable. The head sink and shower drain to a sump in the bilge with it's own pump so water doesn't collect in the bilge.

Sail Handling - The boat comes with Harken gear (4 self tailing winches, traveler) and a Furlex below deck furler. High quality stuff that works well. The anchor locker on the bow is large and easily holds the required gear.

Motoring Performance - The Volvo Penta engine (MD2030) makes 29 HP and that's plenty for this boat. The sail drive is great for forwards and backwards. No prop walk, and the two blade folding prop provides little drag under sailing and more than adequate motoring performance. I can motor all day at 7 kts.

OK things:
Galley - It's small. Two burner stove, small oven. The ice box is small and hard to reach the bottom. The sinks are also small. The galley is sufficient for a few days but I would not want to spend a month aboard. Then again, if that's your plan this is the wrong boat for you.

Stowage - There are two water tanks, one in the bow and one under the power settee. Together there is 70 gallons of water but I leave the bow tank empty for better sailing performance. The fuel tank is 25 gallons so that is sufficient. The amount of storage inside the cabin is OK but not great.

Swim Platform - the boat uses an electric motor to lower and raise a part of the transom. The motor is slow and salt water and electric don't get along. I have heard of many problems with the motor and I expect to have them myself. For just getting on / off the boat with a dinghy I leave the platform up and just step on the railing. It's more difficult than the platform but I'm managing.

Tenderness - This boat is the most tender boat I have sailed. I guess that's the trade off for such good light air performance. Without crew I will reef in 12 kts of wind. It's fairly easy to reef the main so I will do it as required. With full main and 135 headsail, the boat will be heeled 30 degrees upwind. The rudder is balanced and the boat sails well but she is really on her ear. I am using the original main so that might be a cause. I will have a new main for next season so if that changes things I will update this. Additionally the main is big and heavy so it takes some effort to raise it.

Bad Things:
Some seacocks are in bad locations. The engine raw water intake requires you to remove the engine cover, which is a pain, so I leave it open. The seacock for the head discharge is under the aft cabin berth, so it requires the cushion to be removed.

Overall:
After one season with this boat I am very happy. The sailing performance is really great. She is a very fun boat to sail.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: 2002 C&C 110 Review

Barry,

Thanks for the info. i have a C&C 35/3. A much different boat! The admiral would love the swim platform!

Joel
Old 11-26-2014
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: 2002 C&C 110 Review

Nice boat, I like them, and the slightly bigger 115, have raced on and against, they are quick!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/176665-2002-c-c-110-review.html
Posted By For Type Date
2002 C&C 110 Review - SailNet Community This thread Refback 11-21-2014 11:25 AM