High moisture reading - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-22-2015 Thread Starter

High moisture reading

Just finished surveying a 1980's Taiwanese sailboat. The surveyor showed me on the moisture meter that the area between waterline and cap rail showed 125-180 the rudder and the bottom showed around 850. He said don't put boat on hard over winter as moisture in the rudder could freeze and create some real issues. I assume the same is true for the hull. Boat is Maryland and can stay in water over winter with a bubbler. I am worried that this could be a deal breaker. Need some advice as to run away or stay and work it out. Found 3 areas with a blister showing. Boat was barrier coated at some point in its life. Surveyor suggests we soda blast the bottom and look for other hidden blisters then mitigate them and barrier coat along with new bottom paint. The vessel has other issues I am figuring about 30-40 Boat Bucks to set it right; but price is right and I do love the boat. What does the group think?
TIA
Jim
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-22-2015
The man Moscow fears most

Re: High moisture reading

I wouldn't get emotionally attached to the boat. Easier said than done when you're wanting it real bad, I know.

Everything always looks darkest before it goes completely to hell...
The Following User Says Thank You to VF84Sluggo For This Useful Post:
daddyhobbit (07-23-2015)
post #3 of 4 Old 07-22-2015
Old enough to know better

Well since you think it will take 30,000 to 40,000 to set it right, figure it will be at least 80,000 so it better be free to make it worth your while. As long as you pull the boat a while before the first freeze you should be able to drill holes in the bottom of the rudder and get most of the moisture out, may have to accelerate the draining and evaporation with some vacuum. But likely the rudder needs to be taken apart. Taiwanese boats are known for questionable metal so likely the grid is well rusted and should not be trusted. How long was the boat pulled out of the water before the reading were taken? If only a few hours then I would not put much confidence behind them.

OH one other thing, does she have teak decks? If so have you priced out teak? Have you priced out the labor to replace them? That would take up your entire budget on making the boat right.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
daddyhobbit (07-23-2015)
post #4 of 4 Old 07-22-2015

Hey,

I can't imaging a situation where I would get involved with this vessel. I would move on.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
daddyhobbit (07-23-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/211753-high-moisture-reading.html
Posted By For Type Date
High moisture reading - SailNet Community This thread Refback 07-22-2015 10:03 PM