Hood 38 or Tartan 42? - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Hood 38 or Tartan 42?

Hello All,

Sorry for the mostly duplicate post from another forum, but looking for all the information I can gather.

I've been on and off the site for several years. After many delays in retirement, I hope to start the transition to cruising over the next two years. With that, it's time to buy the boat.

Briefly, the plan is to spend a couple years exploring the PNW part time before heading south to Mexico, Central America, into Carib., and maybe eventually to Med. The dream has shifted from crossing the Pacific to maybe crossing or shipping across Atlantic. I also dive and am just over 6'2", so a bit of space is nice. So with that much background ...

I am currently looking at a Wauquiez Hood 38 Mk I and a Tartan 42. The boats are both different and similar. Close to same displacement, same "Swan" style hatch, same layout even with area behind companionway. The Tartan is a moderate IOR design with Scheel keel. The Hood is a bit fuller on the ends with centerboard. I've searched the threads and internet, read posts, but finally giving in to just asking if anyone has been on both, either, or has thoughts?

Big unknowns on the Tartan are just how comfortable can an IOR boat be to sail, and is 41 hp really enough power for a 22,000 boat? And on the Hood, how well can she really sail or will pointing and acceleration be issues? They both have decent Comfort ratings though my guess is the Hood is smoother. PHRF on the Tartan is around 120, the Hood varies a lot, but seems to average 141.

The T-42 also comes with an older Selden in-mast furler. I'm thinking that will have to be replaced or modified for a standard mainsail. I've heard it may be possible to modify with a Strong Track or battcar system, but as I've never even considered in mast furling, my knowledge base is close to zero.

Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks!

"You've come to the wrong shop for anarchy ..." ~ Master and Commander
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 2 Days Ago

Re: Hood 38 or Tartan 42?

You probably would get a bit more action in the main Boat Review and Purchase forum than here. FWIW here's some thoughts.

I have no direct experience with either boat. They do look pretty similar. I am a fan of Tartans, but that pinched IOR stern makes for a tiny cockpit. But S&S does know how do design a good boat. 41 HP is actually about right for a boat of that size. I'm not a fan of main furlers, so if that needs to be replaced, going to a standard main (with Dutchman system) would be my choice. The Hood has much less of the pinched stern IOR look but looks to be a bit underpowered with a SA/D ratio of only 13.
post #3 of 3 Old 2 Days Ago
Tartan 27' owner

Re: Hood 38 or Tartan 42?

Here is a sailblog of a family sailing their Waiquez 38' across the pond a few times.

SV Mabel Rose

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/216170-hood-38-tartan-42-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Hood 38 or Tartan 42? - SailNet Community This thread Refback 5 Days Ago 11:14 PM