SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Positive and Comprehensive Catalina 22 Review

16K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SHNOOL 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yep, and I still maintain that the Capri 22 is a better all around boat, and still currently in production.

Its interesting that the Catalina 22 is replaced with what is a Catalina 22 sport, which is more like the Capri 22 than the Catalina 22.

The Capri 22 is basically a larger cockpit, more sail controls, more sail area, faster sailing boat, with none of the drawbacks of the swing keel. The wing is the compromise boat for trailerability, and still points quite well. The Fin is an excellent sailor, points like mad, and generally is the wing model with slightly more point, speed, and stability.

#3 · (Edited)
I see no disadvantage at all to the swing keel. Mine is holding up well.

One advantage to the Capri, which I sailed this summer ( a wing keel) , is the wider side decks. I found they sail pretty much the same in light wind, actually my Mark 1 is a bit faster I suspect because the genoa is bigger..... but I expect the Capri would be slightly better in heavier wind because its a fractional rig.

My Cat 22 will hold its own with most similar sailboats around my area, actually it seems fast compared to some other small sailboats and of course slow sailing next to 40 footer. The construction of mine is still perfect after 40 years except the gel coat has pretty much departed. Its pretty much just a typical all around good sailboat.

my dock mate has a Tanzer 22 and that boat looks like a better boat than mine,. Practical sailor gave these rating to the Tanzer, Oday and Catalina

Catalina 22 O'Day 22 Tanzer 22
Performance C- C- A
Accommodations D B C-
Styling (exterior) B A B
Styling (interior) B+ D B-
Finish B C B-
Stowage D C C
Cockpit Comfort B B- B
Cockpit Safety C C C
Construction C B- B
Hardware D B+ B
Rig D B+ B
Maintenance C B B-
Geographical Distribution A D C-
Owner Assoc. yes no yes
Racing Potential (mixed fleet) D D B
Price A B C

#4 ·
Pretty even handed and accurate article.

I think these boats have been so popular because they're versatile. You can race, day sail or overnight. In any one category you may find a boat that is faster, roomier, etc. but it's hard to find a boat that does everything this boat does and does it better.

We had a lot of fun with ours and if I were looking for a boat this size I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

#5 · (Edited)
One advantage to the Capri, which I sailed this summer ( a wing keel) , is the wider side decks. I found they sail pretty much the same in light wind, actually my Mark 1 is a bit faster I suspect because the genoa is bigger..... but I expect the Capri would be slightly better in heavier wind because its a fractional rig.
Looking at portsmouth ratings which rate boats in racing configurations (Number 1, 2, 3 sails, reefable main, and spinnakers)... so same sail configs. Also they rate the boats based upon Beaufort scale wind conditions.. Lower numbers mean faster.

Offshore Classes Napy D-PN Wind HC For Beaufort Number
Code 0-1 2-3 4 5-9
Catalina 22 (SK/WK, w/Spi) CAT222 94.7 (97.5) 95.3 94.5 (93.9)
Capri 22 (Cat., FK/SK/WK) CAP22 90.8 92.6 91.5 90.1 (89.0)
Capri 22 (Cat., Tall Rig) CAP22H 88.9 89.5 89.1 88.3 88.1

Under NO circumstances is the Catalina 22 swing, faster than the Capri 22 wing. The results get MORE interesting with the fin. What isn't said about the fin, is the extra 5 degrees of point the fin gives over the wing (that applies to the Catalina 22 wing versus fin, I can't say for the swing).

Note that larger changes in portsmouth ratings for a given change in beaufort scale, the change indicates a less favorable acceptance of changing wind conditions. Note that the Cat 22 does terrible, comparatively, in light winds (97.5 versus 95.3 - makes sense, but the Capri 22 fin does well in most conditions).

The Capri 22 is hardly a racer, certainly not a J... but racier than a Cat 22, with a similar ability to overnight. The parts missing are the sink and cooktop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.