SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ready to purchase. Now which one????

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  indicasteve 
#1 ·
Looking to purchase our first boat, found a CT 34 that looks like it's in good shape (survey will tell). This would be small enough to learn on, yet big enough that I might consider live aboard. Can't find much info on these boats. Looks like it could handle offshore sailing if the opportunity presents itself. Would greatly appreciate any info.

Rob

#2 ·
Looking to buy a leaky teaky are ya? I would take age into great consideration. Get in her and look everywhere for rot. Bring a little flat head screwdriver, press it against the bulkheads, if it sinks in, run.

If you can't find any specific information about your boat, learn all you can about Taiwanese boats, and Ta Chiao (CT) specifically and learn wooden boat care in general. This will let you know what to look for when you're surveying her yourself. You might find something horrible yourself and save the cost of the survey for your next boat.

From what I've read, these Taiwanese boats can have varied levels of quality control, but most owners seem happy with them and CT seem to have a higher level of quality than others.

I also heard these boats sometimes have odd wiring. Most boats use red and black wires for DC power, but I've read once that sometimes these Taiwan guys cut corners and use whatever colors they have around the shop. I think one guy had a boat that was all yellow and blue wires.

Hopefully you can find another owner of same boat to talk with and ask him where all the weak spots are, what breaks or rots first etc, and when you look at your boat look for those specific things.

#4 ·
In a boat like an old CT34 it doesn't really matter all that much what the rep of the model is, all that matters is what condition the boat is in NOW!

#5 ·
Points to look at very carefully.

Teak Deck Lots written on the bad points best if it has been removed and made good. If it still has a teak deck get someone who knows about them to pronounce on it's health. Remember they do not last forever 20 to 30 years. VERY expensive to replace. more than the boat is worth.

Original tanks would have been black iron and are likely to have been replaced. If not budget for replacement.

The cabin sides are cored with ply. This is a known weakness and rotten ply is common.

Encapsulated keel often with scrap iron and concrete. If salt water has got in rust and expansion can be a problem.

Bit of a cult boat and some have been very well maintained. If you find a good 'un then it is worth considering. If it has worn teak decks, leaks from the cabin sides and suspect water and fuel tanks then it is scrap.

#10 ·
Without trying to sound lame, it should be you first.

Once YOU are satisfied with your decision, find a surveyor who is familiar with your boat. Make sure HE knows what to look for.

He should bring tools like a moisture meter, electrical testers and equipment for everything else you want checked. Maybe he will bring a small hammer to sound on the wood and holding tanks, or small screwdriver to poke around. I would.

You don't want a guy who comes with just a clipboard and a pen.

With no offence to all surveyors, all surveys are not the same. Some people need a quick survey because their insurance company requires one. These are cheap surveys you see advertised to ******** drivers.

If you know just slightly more about your boat than the surveyor does, you're on the right track.

Ask the guy if you can video the survey. Reject anyone who will not let you.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of experience with surveys, perhaps I'm being cynical. I own a mostly plastic boat but I've read things here and there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.