Hans Christian cutter - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter

Question Hans Christian cutter

Looking for some input, I am looking at a Hans Christian 38. I am not a sailor yet! But me, my daughter (6) and my husband hope to start a new adventure living aboard while cruising the Caribbean.

Here are my questions / concerns.

Teak decks, I love the look my husband see's work.

The gunnels or toe rail, they are about 8" tall on the Han's, so what happens when a big wave comes over? How fast is the water going to run off? Is this a safety concern? I like that it seems safer for my little one, but my husband is concerned about the wave issue.

When I looked at the boat there was standing water in the sink drain, is this something to be concerned about? I did not notice it on other boats we looked at.

My husband wants a Tartan 37 we saw any feed back about which is a stronger, safer boat.

Thank you for any and all feed back.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-10-2016
al brazzi

Re: Hans Christian cutter

Teak decks look great but maintenance and water intrusion issues are real and expensive. He wins this one. The Bulwarks are structural safe and practical, one of the strongest hull deck joints out there. Don't worry about the drainage rest assured they have that worked out. You win this one. Sinks (I prefer to call it a basin) simply drain (usually) straight down to the water line, there is nothing g serious here, maybe the thru hull was just closed. T37 is a real good Boat, I would go with the one with fewer problems and the deck core could be wet on either one or any out there for that matter. Its all about condition on any used Boat. Learn to inspect yourself first then always hire a surveyor after prechecking so you don't hire too many surveyors to look at boats that aren't worth buying.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I just Love the Hans Christian and it has everything on it we need - water maker, gen, SSB with pactor modem. It is just beautiful with the butterfly hatch. The Tartan is nice very clean boat but no extra's, plastic hatches.

My only worry is those pretty teak decks!
post #4 of 9 Old 04-10-2016
al brazzi

HCs are beautiful traditional Boats, Others will advise but check the deck real carefully, its kind of like running aground, there's only two kinds of Teak decks the one that leaks and the one that isn't leaking yet. Great ocean Boats for sure..
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure feels good View Post
Thank you for your response. I just Love the Hans Christian and it has everything on it we need - water maker, gen, SSB with pactor modem. It is just beautiful with the butterfly hatch. The Tartan is nice very clean boat but no extra's, plastic hatches.

My only worry is those pretty teak decks!
Teak decks more than 20 years old are on borrowed time. 25 to 50 k to replace.

Too hot to walk on bare foot in the tropics.

Make the boat hotter in the tropics.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-10-2016
al brazzi

Check the "My boat needs anew cockpit" thread its an interesting read. He makes it look easy and its NOT by along shot, truly beautiful work. There's a reality to Boats with a lot of wood that needs to be taken seriously.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure feels good View Post
Looking for some input, I am looking at a Hans Christian 38. I am not a sailor yet! But me, my daughter (6) and my husband hope to start a new adventure living aboard while cruising the Caribbean.

Here are my questions / concerns.

Teak decks, I love the look my husband see's work.

The gunnels or toe rail, they are about 8" tall on the Han's, so what happens when a big wave comes over? How fast is the water going to run off? Is this a safety concern? I like that it seems safer for my little one, but my husband is concerned about the wave issue.

When I looked at the boat there was standing water in the sink drain, is this something to be concerned about? I did not notice it on other boats we looked at.

My husband wants a Tartan 37 we saw any feed back about which is a stronger, safer boat.

Thank you for any and all feed back.
I was interested in both a Tartan (the one I saw was a 40, absolutely beautiful boat) and a HC as well. Performance wise, they are fairly different boats. The Tartan will give you better speed and performance in general, but will require more attention in terms of keeping her going straight. The HC is very stable with a long full keel. I didn't really realize just how different the boats were until I started doing some sailing.

Since you said you aren't a sailor yet, I'd strongly recommend that you go out on both boats and actually experience the differences. Also consider how comfortable they would be in bad weather (although you won't probably be able to get that sort of impression from a sea trial).

Once you get a feel for the sailing characteristics, the other comments still of course apply.

One last suggestion, I found that Pacific Seacrafts are a great compromise between the Tartan and the HC. All three are very well built. Both Tartan and Pacific Seacraft are still producing boats, I don't believe that Hans Christian is around anymore. Could make a difference in getting advice and parts etc..
post #8 of 9 Old 04-12-2016

Teak decks are a non starter for me. If it was laid in the traditional way, there are thousands of screws penetrating the fiberglass deck. Since it is nearly impossible to caulk the screws properly, there has to be leaks into the core with resultant rot. See if you can find an HC without teak decks. HC's are great traditional boats that sail well. Won't be a light air wizard but will hold their own when the wind pipes up and way more comfortable in a seaway. Wouldn't worry about the bulwarks trapping water. Will not hold enough to seriously effect trim and should drain fairly quickly in any case. Bulwarks are really a great safety feature and will save you from dropping a ton of stuff overboard. Really miss the bulwarks on my last boat. Last but not least, the HC's have a lot of woodwork topsides. A bit of time to keep it looking yachtie. Believer there were two versions of the HC's. The 'T' version has a full keel. The other has a long fin keel which will make it more maneuverable around the marina but probably not a lot faster except in light conditions.

The Tartan is a great boat but smaller than the HC. Better in light air and to windward.

Might look at Morgan 38 mark 3 OR 4. A better laid out interior for cruising.

Pacific Seacrafts are great boats except for that funny stern but they are way more costly than the Tartan and probably the HC.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2016
Banned

I have always like the look of the HC boats and tried to buy one once (but someone else got a bid in before me the same day).

As for the bulwarks, I have said to myself that I'll never buy a boat without them. They make a boat vastly safer -- you can't slide off when heeled over in a heavy sea. The boats with nothing but flimsy lifelines to keep you aboard scare me.

As for teak, I think your husband is right -- it'll be work. That goes for any teak at all. But if cared for regularly, it's not a big deal. It can even be enjoyable to take care of it if you are someplace with agreeable weather. Let it go too long, however, and the work expands dramatically.

As for the sink, it may be that the bottom of the sink is right at the waterline, so that it does not drain fully unless the boat is heeled the right way (and will have a fair bit of water remaining in it if heeled the other way). If that's the case, a solution is to install a drain pump to suck the sink dry (just flip a switch each time). If you can send the water out via a thru-hull above the waterline, this approach is much safer, too, because there's no seacock below the water left open all the time.

I agree with the earlier comments about the Pacific Seacraft boats -- many of their models are a kind of cross between the two types of boats you are looking at. You get the strength of the HC (including super-strong bulwarks) with the speed and hull shape similar to the Tartan. But they don't come cheap, for good reason (cheap boats are cheap for a reason).

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-13-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/248337-hans-christian-cutter.html
Posted By For Type Date
Hans Christian cutter - SailNet Community This thread Refback 04-10-2016 08:35 PM