SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Any opinions on an Aloha 8.2?

13K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  slap 
#1 ·
I'm looking for my next boat and came across an Aloha 8.2. I've searched the forums but haven't found any threads or posts addressing this particular boat. I will mostly day sail with it with occasional 4-5 day overnights. Home water is Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts. I'd appreciate any opinions that you may have. The particular boat that got me interested is the one on YachtWorld located in Bridgeport, CT. (Sorry, don't have enough posts to include the link.)
Thanks for your input.
Marc

#2 ·
Marc

This is a pretty good boat, IMO.. manageable fractional rig, nice lines - quite similar to the other Perry designs in the Mirage line. You could do much worse in that size range. I know an owner, he's quite pleased with the boat.

#4 ·
It's a bit of a rarity, not many made, I don't think. I've always liked the look, Aloha (Ouyang) has a good reputation and Perry designs good looking boats. I know of one that used to race but it didn't make an impression - though the crew is always a huge factor there.

Where are you located?

#8 ·
I don't know if this applies to all models.
We have a 32 (30)? in our marina, painted dark blue. You can see the weave of the cloth in the finish. Probably couldn't notice it when the boat was white. Dark colours show every defect.
Nice boats, I did look at an 8.2 a few years ago, deck was soaked, would have needed a new deck. Negative value boat, not worth buying. That is owner neglect in my books not a manufacturer issue. Can happen to any cored boat.
Deck leaks don't fix themselves!
If it passes a survey with no major repairs/replacements required right away I'd buy one. You are going to have to sink money into any used boat, just depends on how much and how soon.
Back in the day visited the Ontario plant a couple times and saw some being built.

#11 · (Edited)
I used to own a 1985 Aloha 8.2. Very solidly built, goes to wind well. Sails best standing up. Put a reef in at 15-20 knots and you'll be fine.

Decent headroom throughout (6'1" or so, though I still have to duck). Mine had loads of teak inside, with a teak and holly sole. Fairly beamy for the length. Decent storage and tank capacities. I've been out solo for 7 - 10 day stretches with no issues. Nice Perry design.

#13 ·
Hello Outlaw,
I'm at Kingman's. Haven't looked at the Yachtworld Aloha boat yet. I have found out that it needs new dodger, bimini, sail cover & genoa. Also needs hardware to lead lines back to cockpit which would include a halyard winch. So believe this boat needs some pretty big items right from the start. I'll take a look at the boat next time I'm in the area, but for me, not worth a special trip.
Marc

#14 · (Edited)
Going rate for these is about $9-10k USD Looking at the yachworld Aloha in CT:

I think this particular boat is priced about $3500 too high as it only has the outboard and not much in the way of upgrades.
I'd be leery of why the chainplates had to be replaced (and who did the work) and the six-year-old "Garmen" GPS ain't much. Replacing the gooseneck (we bought a spare last year as the old style Cinkel gooseneck is becoming hard to find) wasn't a wallet-breaker at about a boat buck from EB Spars Quebec. The Hood furler is a good one IMO Most of the rest of the "upgrades" I simply call maintenance.

We've sailed ours (Hull #39, a 1980 vintage) for 20 years now and she points very well and isn't very tender for a 27-footer.
Delamination/osmosis is extremely rare. Ouyang built these right.
We do not cover out boat here in Nova Scotia for the winter months and have never had more than a gallon of snow melt to contend with in the bilge at spring commissioning.

#16 ·
There is a beautiful on in North Cove in Old Saybrook Ct for sale. I just happened to be talking with the owner of the boat in the next slip last week. We got to talking about the Aloha 32 next to him. He tells me that the owner is very very meticulous with the boat and it showed. I don't know what the guy is asking for it, but I do know that Hellier Yacht Sales is the broker. 203-812-0747.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.