Experience with Dolphin 17 or similar? - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-05-2016 Thread Starter

Experience with Dolphin 17 or similar?

I found only one reference at this forum to the Silverline Dolphin 17.

I will read the stickies with advice on boat shopping again.

Looking for any current or past owners of the Silverline Dolphin 17 or 17C (cabin version). Would like to chat a little about sailing characteristics of the boat and particulars to look for when shopping. Especially curious about two things:
1) Helm balance with centerboard partially retracted, because I will have it often in shallow water where the full 4.25' draft is chancey.
2) Tenderness when sailed solo.

Here are particulars on the boat. Are there other more common comparable boats that you think might offer insight? I am looking at the cabin version of this boat as one fairly comparable to the Daysailer, as my club has a racing fleet of those. I don't want a DS because I prefer a usable locking cuddy and a boat that will solo a bit better and be a bit more comfortable with my wife aboard. So while I won't race, I at least can play amongst the herd.

LOA = 16.75'
DWL = 15'
Beam = 6'
Draft up = 8"
Draft down = 4.25'
Mast height over waterline = about 22.5'
Displacement = about 825 pounds
Ballast= 150-200 pounds along centerboard trunk, concrete or lead ingots
Centerboard = alloy or fiberglass, unweighted
Sail area = 130 sf, about evenly split between jib and main
P-DN = 97.5
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-18-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Experience with Dolphin 17 or similar?

I ended up getting two of these. One an open version for parts, as the owner had botched a hull repair beyond what I thought worth fixing. The second a cabin version. I am putting the slightly larger rig of the first onto the second and redesigning the centerboard retraction.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2016

We have a 1972 model year made not by Silverline but Universal Plastic Products in Houston. I'm just about to finish some tune-ups from being a landlubber for 20 years. Yes it's a tender boat with one person as you've probably found out by now. Freeboard and hull design will allow her fast to heel. I sure wish we had a spinnaker now that I've seen a 470 with one. We have a trap set up that allows you to use that 125.65 square feet. There is a chance I will add a bracket to the rudder casting to give us the ability to motor with a 2.5 Suzuki.

post #4 of 4 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Never got it on the water last summer; spent my allotted sailboat time refurbushing the DaySailer I bought first, to resell and get even.

My guess is that for best speed we want this to heel a bit to stretch the waterline forward on that bow.

Got the taller mast up in my barn to measure rigging changes. It will have the backstay from the open version that is lacking on the cabin version. I like that, firms it up and I can hang the boom from the backstay for a cockpit tent/cover. Plenty of mast for even the larger of the two jibs, so I am rigging it as a fractional. The forestay will be 28" below the top of the mast and about 6" behind normal spot. That space plus homemade roller furler frees the bow plate and jib halyard for a spinnaker/snuffer I bought. I'll be more comfortable flying that kite with a backstay.

Might be interesting figuring how to run spinnaker sheets to the somewhat skinny tail.

Also will have both upper and lower shrouds on the sides from the open version. That could help if I added a trap? And of my two tillers, I am using one that has a 3 foot extension.

Currently reworking the centerboard. It used a winch in the cabin, but both holes and the clamp for ropes are in the bulkhead. I need to be able to adjust from the cockpit.

Digging around I have found no ballast. Putting in a couple of batteries that should help. And kinda weird, on port side of the hull beneath the front of the cockpit is a raised section about 2" tall and a foot fore-aft. Plywood covered by glass. But no match on starboard. Just behind is another molded beam on both sides. That is where ballast should be, and mine is a year that should have it. Maybe someone ended the day there and forgot.

Mine already has a homemade hinged steel motor mount on the rear deck, very junky, tossing most of it. But it mounts to the deck with stainless sliding plates, very light and cool, that I will rework. I have an old 3hp Johnson but might switch to electric troller since I have batteries on board.

From my searches, it seems these boats started at UPP, so you have one of the first. Then a few years as Silverline in Moorehead MN (mine is 1977) and finally a couple years as Midwest Dolphin in Independence MO 1982-83.

Here are pseudo links to info on the Silverline years. Sorry I can't post links yet. Remove the under_line_spots.

ht_tp://ww_w.silverlineboats.o_rg/sail.h_tm ... owner's manual!

ht_tp://ww_w.bosscatlegacy.c_om/acproto/indexwatersilverline02.h_tm ... 74 through 77; not much info, but interesting to note weight changes.

Last edited by xizeekS; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/251457-experience-dolphin-17-similar.html
Posted By For Type Date
Experience with Dolphin 17 or similar? - SailNet Community This thread Refback 05-05-2016 05:26 PM