"New" Cal Boats Made in USA? - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 11-20-2016 Thread Starter

"New" Cal Boats Made in USA?

As a former importer, long time Dealer and broker, I have been playing with the idea of bringing back "Cal Boats", built to the integrity and exquisite sailing standard of the original Lapworth designs, primarily the Cal 39, 34 and 2-27.

I have been a Dealer for several high quality respected brands and also importer for a very long time. I owned a Cal among others. The [Cal] boat even to modern day standards in my opinion, remains one of the finest vessels of its time. Gotta love the Cal 39 and would gladly take it just about anywhere on the globe right now and can say without doubt, that I would make good time doing it.

Can you imagine going to a Boat show and seeing big Cal Boats banners flying again? What do you think? It is doable.. All of these imports are also driving me crazy, even though I made part of my living by doing just that. I think "we" should do this.
Lazerbrains likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesmoods For This Useful Post:
docon48 (11-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 11-20-2016
al brazzi

Re: "New" Cal Boats Made in USA?

I like the idea, so are you using the molds (own them) and setting up production? The "Classic" market would be there for sure but Im not a marketing guy so who knows the demand with the dwindling Boat market today and the 'Newer" designs available maybe a DIY market for Hull/deck components.
post #3 of 48 Old 11-20-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Not to rain on your parade, because I would LOVE to see them reintroduced, however, this was tried before with the Cal-Pearson 31, 33, 35, 38 and 39. I believe that they lasted for about one year (1997).

I would love a Cal-Pearson 38, powered by a Beta Marine Beta 35... I can't afford the $200K that it will cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 48 Old 11-20-2016

I like the idea. But I think one to bring back would be the good old Cal 29. One of the best all around 30 footers made, IMHO.
And it seems the 30' market is sorely lacking these days (other than raceboats).
post #5 of 48 Old 11-21-2016

I think it would be a really good way to make a very Small Fortune after starting with a very large one
olson34 and eherlihy like this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #6 of 48 Old 11-21-2016

I am curious who you think the market would be for a 40-50 year old design? What would the price be? Would it be the same price as a brand new Catalina? If so, why wouldn't I just buy a Catalina?

If you had your mind set on an old full keel design like a Perry or a Crealock, I suspect you might be able to find investors and buyers. But a Cal? I don't get it.
post #7 of 48 Old 11-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmoods View Post
..... It is doable......
Is this nostalgia talking? US labor and compliance costs to build a dated design to compete with modern foreign imports. You'll need a pretty good pitch to get real investors, but I suspect this is just dock talk.
zeehag likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 48 Old 11-21-2016

How about refurbishing existing Cal boats to 'like new' standard? There are a lot of older Cal boats on the market and it would be cheaper to refurbish them than build them from scratch. That way you could also refurbish only the boats you have a buyer for. Less risk IMO.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 48 Old 11-21-2016
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
How about refurbishing existing Cal boats to 'like new' standard? There are a lot of older Cal boats on the market and it would be cheaper to refurbish them than build them from scratch. That way you could also refurbish only the boats you have a buyer for. Less risk IMO.
Bingo! I think this makes a lot more sense. You could expand your reach and use your skills to produce refurbished boats of whatever brand a buyer might want. People spend huge dollars to keep Hinckleys in as-new condition, I think there would be a (small, but viable) market for other brands too.
zeehag likes this.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #10 of 48 Old 11-21-2016

There are folks doing this now. Check out Tim Lackey at lackeysailing dot com.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/270353-new-cal-boats-made-usa.html
Posted By For Type Date
"New" Cal Boats Made in USA? - SailNet Community This thread Refback 11-20-2016 07:55 PM