O'Day vs Hunter vs Beneteau - SailNet Community
Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

O'Day vs Hunter vs Beneteau

I'm looking for my first sailboat and am thinking that I want to stick with something on the 28-35' range for less than 25K ideally that would get me from the mid-atalantic region to the Caribbean and around coastal Central America with my husband and dog. I really want something with a swim platform as I will be in the water a lot. I like the Hunter 28s and 32s for the unconventional interior design but not sure if they can get me there and back hence looking at the O-days but I am worried about the lack of parts for repairs where Hunter parts are more accessible. I also like the spacious interiors of the O'Days as well. Beneteaus also have a more progressive interior that I like but are harder to find in the price range.
Food for thought from anyone?
Thanks!
T
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: O'Day vs Hunter vs Beneteau

You can find the/your boat, no problem.
There is a big difference between 28 and 35 - cost, upkeep and accommodations.
If you plan to stay away on the boat for a long time, IMO, you're looking at minimum of 10k and up to 20k extra to throw at that boat to make it right for long travels, and that's if you start with a good boat.
...unless you happen upon some special circumstances...

Think 40-50k total for a safe boat you can travel on in comfort.

You could buy a boat in Rio Dulce for 10-15k and just plan to never hit any storms. Life might be grand.
It's when your boat starts regularly dating mother nature that the boat needs to be right.
The Following User Says Thank You to RegisteredUser For This Useful Post:
tmyers (4 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I'm looking for my first car and am thinking that I want to stick with something in the compact to mini-van range for less than 5K ideally that would get me from Canada to California and around Central America with my husband and dog. I really want something with heated seats as I like my buns to be warm. I like the Honda Prius and the Honda Minivan for the unconventional interior design but not sure if they can get me there and back hence looking at the Chevys but I am worried about the lack of parts for repairs where Honda parts are more accessible. I also like the spacious interiors of the Chevys as well. Kias also have a more progressive interior that I like but are harder to find in the price range.
Food for thought from anyone?
Thanks!

Last edited by Lazerbrains; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:56 AM.

post #4 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Great comparison Lazerbrains.
Lazerbrains likes this.

When a Woman says - Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!
post #5 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Cruising at a snail pace

get the one in the best condition with the newest sails, electronics, and engine in best condition

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don0190 For This Useful Post:
tmyers (4 Weeks Ago)
post #6 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

There are no bespoke "parts for repair" available for any boat in the age range you are considering - the manufacturer is either long gone (Oday), changed hands (Hunter) or the boat model long out of manufacture (all the above). Besides, almost nothing on a boat is built by the manufacturer except for the hull and interior moldings. Often not even the rudder or keel. All equipment, including rigging and sails, are from other companies.

Don is correct above, and I would add to his comment to get the largest boat with best sails, equipment, shape, etc.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
tmyers (4 Weeks Ago)
post #7 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There are no bespoke "parts for repair" available for any boat in the age range you are considering - the manufacturer is either long gone (Oday), changed hands (Hunter) or the boat model long out of manufacture (all the above).
Some exceptions! I can get new parts for my 1974 Catalina.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #8 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I usually pick a boat based on my "prefer or prefer not" list like, "prefer" lead keel, little or no wood exposed to the weather, conventional main, Yanmar or Perkins, double spreader, sailing characteristics, "prefer not" shoal keel, in mast, unstayed or B&R rig, an oversized or high windage hull, etc., so make a list of what's important to you and see what fits.

"Just call me TB"
post #9 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hello,

I owned an O'day 35 from 2006-2014. It would meet your requirements. Affordable, spacious, reliable, comfortable, etc. I had no problem getting any parts I needed. My boat was damaged in hurricane Sandy (another boat dragged into my boat and damaged the rub rail, life lines, stanchions, etc) and I was able to get all new replacement parts. The engine (Universal Diesel) is still supported, the rig is still supported. About the most difficult parts to get were for the Barient winches.

My boat had the shoal draft keel. Great for getting close to the beach and sailing in shallow water. Not so great at sailing close to the wind.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #10 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Some exceptions! I can get new parts for my 1974 Catalina.
Doesn't Catalina still manufacture the 22?

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.