SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Windrider 10

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  markpatty72 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a Windrider 10 sail kayak. Has anyone got any experience with one of them? Info on them is very thin online. I'd appreciate any real world experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 · (Edited)
I had one for a few weeks. It was a bit too small for me (6'1" and 235lbs), but here are my impressions:

1) It is probably the best sailboat ever for small kids and some smaller adults
2) It is dead easy to set up and sail. I could assemble and launch in less than 10 minutes, and that includes putting the amas on and assembling the mast.
3) It tacks on a dime. I've never had a boat tack so quickly, however you have bear off from the tack to get some speed. The boat doesn't point very well until it is moving at least a couple knots, so you have to go well past a 90 degree tack then ease your way back up. In heavier air you can pinch quite a bit due to the low hull speed (see #5)
4) It moves along pretty well in light air, but
5) With me aboard it maxed out at 4.5 knots unless I was surfing a wave or had a huge tailwind. It was still fun and lighter people may be able to go quite a bit faster.
6) In those conditions it is a wet ride. With no transom you get some waves in from the rear as well
7) I sailed it in over 20 knots on multiple occasions and had no issues. Try that with any other 10' boat (except maybe a Mirror dinghy).
8) If you get one, plan on buying a really nice kayak seat for it. The molded one grabs you too low.
9) It doesn't paddle very well. Probably not a big deal since it is so maneuverable, but don't get caught a mile from your dock with no wind. My WR16 paddled very easily, the WR10 not so much.

#3 ·
I ended up buying one and I agree. It's a lot of fun. I'm 6'1 and 190lbs and it seems okay for me. Not the most comfortable ride ever but I'm not going to sail an ocean in it. So far it's been a lot of fun in some pretty light winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.