Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BarryL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
1986 O'day 35 Review

Hello,

Now that we have a section for boat reviews, and since I have owned my boat for a few years, I figured now would be a good time to write a review.

The O'day 35 is a typical 'racer / cruiser' of the mid 80's. It's a typical production boat. Build quality is acceptable, it wasn't designed to cross oceans, and I don't plan on it.

Good things:
Value - You should be able to purchase an O'day 35 for mid 30's, low 40's, depending on condition of course.

Room - With 35' LOD and a 11.5' beam there is room for people and gear. My family of five can carry enough stuff for a week and still have room to move below and not feel like we are top of each other.

Comfort - The boat has hot / cold pressure water, 2 burner propane stove with oven, comfortable setees / berths, large head, wide decks, decent cockpit space. Sailing handling is fine - lines led aft, big enough winches, anchor roller and locker, etc.

Swim platform - my boat is kept on a mooring and the swim platform makes it easy to board the boat from a dingy. Additionally, in the summer we like to swim off the boat and the platform makes getting back aboard easy. If you don't care about the swim platform, the O'day 34 is the same boat minus the swim platform, and it's cheaper too.

Shoal Draft - I have the shoal keep with a draft of around 4.5'. That allows me to get into skinny water. I can anchor very close to the beach and get into marinas like the 79st Boat Basin in NY city (5' at low water).

OK things:
Sailing Performance - With the shoal keel the boat isn't great upwind. It's good at reaching, but if you want to race get the deep keel (or a different boat). I race on a 1980 C&C 34, and that boat is much better upwind than my boat.

Motoring performance - I have the Universal M25 with 21 HP. With a fixed 3 blade prop and clean bottom I can reach hull speed in flat water. Add chop and the speed slows down to 6 kts. Performance is OK but not great.

Engine access - you have access on two sides (once the quarter berth is emptied out and a panel removed). It's difficult to climb down into the lazarette to reach things.

Bad Things:
Some seacocks are in bad locations. The engine raw water intake is WAY down in a locker. I can't easily reach it, so it stays open (which makes me a little nervous). Other seacocks are under the v berth (for the head direct discharge and holding tank pumpout, so they aren't used as much, but are still difficult to get at).

The ice boxes are strange shaped and difficult to use. I guess that is sort of normal for a boat, but still not easy to use. My boat has Seafrost BD refrigeration and the ice trays take up more room.

Overall:
I would definitely buy this boat again. For my budget it has all the features I wanted. I can single hand it easily (with autopilot) or take my family out for a week.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Barry
eherlihy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 11-14-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (03-24-2014)
Old 10-21-2009

fido5407 is on a distinguished road
shopping for an O'day

after reading your interesting comments you may be able to shed some light. I I,m looking at two O'days at this time with swing keels and would like some comments and views. One is a 27 food 1987 sitting in salt water with a diesel westerbeke drive. The other is a 1986 with gas powered OMC sail drive inboard. I will be moving the 87 to fresh water if purchased. I now sail a 25 foot Macgregor swing keel she is fun and we spend a lot of time on board, but would like to go bigger for this is better. How do these boats compare and what could I expect in rough water, and winds greater than 25 knots.

Steve
Old 10-21-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Barry it sounds like my O30 your describing! I've the fin keel and it's 4'11" draft 16 hp universal 2 blade prop. she handles well in 15-20 winds. she came with a force 10 2 burner propane with oven that replaced the OEM alcohol. we have a new garhaure traveler in the cockpit and wheel steering. the cockpits on most of the Odays were small is yours?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-21-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2010

ausnp84 is on a distinguished road
We owned a 1984 34ft O'day and had a blast with it - pointed well, quick turn of speed and very comfortable for a couple living aboard.

My biggest gripe was the lack of a deep anchor locker... otherwise, what an excellent boat....

(We only sold her to return to the UK and buy a bigger boat to go around on - the O'day would have easily done it, but we wanted more storage space and a steel hull. The new owner of our boat is very happy with it and is continuing her meander throughout the Carib....)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/55998-1986-oday-35-review.html
Posted By For Type Date
Boat Directory: Oday 35 This thread Refback 06-05-2013 10:55 PM
Sailing - WebPartner Channel This thread Refback 07-07-2009 06:06 PM
1986 O'day 35 Review - SailNet Community This thread Refback 07-07-2009 03:22 PM