Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009

webbysboat is on a distinguished road
morgan outislander 416 vs. Gulfstar

This is my first posting as I am new to sailnet. I am about to purchase a liveaboard boat and have narrowed the search down to one of the above boats. I was wondering if anyone had experience with either or both of these boats. I know the outislander is sluggish sail wise, but solidly built. I really don't know much about the Gulfstars. I assume they probably sail better, but are they as well constructed as the OI's.. Any comments greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I've been aboard Morgan Out Islands since 1973 (Trivia: an Islander is a different boat & there are no Outislanders). My 41' ketch has served well as a home to raise our two children from infancy to departure as adults. Charlie Morgan stated, " the Morgan Out Island was designed to moter well for the charter trade". The shoal draft and ketch rig limits performance close to the wind and directly downwind, but the vessel sails very well at other points in 15-20 kts winds. We regular cruise from Maine to the Bahamas with great success. There are compromises to all your choices and few right answers.

I also think very well of the gulfstars and in many ways they are similar to the Morgans. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 10-11-2009

webbysboat is on a distinguished road
Thankyou for the response very helpfull.
Old 10-22-2009
Aupiipii Hunter 45Passage

Aupiipii is on a distinguished road
I was on board of a Morgan 42 ketch and a Gulfstars 45 ketch again.
Morgan is US and Gulfstars is Canadian. Even I am Canadian, I prefer the Morgan. Easier to handle.
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupiipii View Post
I was on board of a Morgan 42 ketch and a Gulfstars 45 ketch again.
Morgan is US and Gulfstars is Canadian. Even I am Canadian, I prefer the Morgan. Easier to handle.
Gulfstars were built in St. Petersburg Florida not far from the place where the Morgans were built.
Old 10-23-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
With all due respect to Aupiipii, there was almost nothing accurate in his post. The Morgan Out Islands were 41 feet and as Captain Force noted, Gulfstars were built in Florida not too far from where Morgans were built.

Gulfstars vary quite widely with model and year of construction. Gulfstar produced several 45 footers, the best known were designed for the Charter trades and were also sold in modified form as Hirsh 45's. These were built at a time when Gullstar's build quality was rapidly improving and the owner version (vs charter versions) were very nicely constructed and equipped. The owner versions of these boats should be far superior boats to the Morgan Out Island 45 in all ways, including ease of handling, with its better proportioned rig and better quality hardware.

On the other hand Gulfstar built a whole range of boats between 40 and 45 feet and some of these were no better than the Morgan O.I. 416 and others were exceptionally better boats, including the wonderful Hood Design that Gulfstar built for a short time.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 10-23-2009
Aupiipii Hunter 45Passage

Aupiipii is on a distinguished road
I had the feeling that Gulfstar was a Canadian boat. My apologies, it is a US build boat as mentionned by more knowledgable sailors.

There are lots of pro and cons about this brand. I believe they are related more to specific models than the brand itself.

It looks like there are excellent Gulfstars boats, and some very bad. Here is a link to a chat you can check.

I'm the new guy - GulfStars

What I disliked about the boat I was on board last year was related to access.

The cokpit was nice, however a full enclosure made difficult to access in and out.

Difficult access to the engine and to be in and out below deck.

Difficult to move on deck.

I dislike when something is difficult. This is probably why I kept a bad souvenir of this boat.

I am not saying they are bad boats, it is not a boat for me.

Hope you will find the right boat for you.
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
....... The owner versions of these boats should be far superior boats to the Morgan Out Island 45 in all ways, including ease of handling, with its better proportioned rig and better quality hardware.....
Jeff
No doubt true since there was never a Morgan Out Island 45 built!
Old 10-23-2009

chucklesbuford is on a distinguished road
On the other hand Gulfstar built a whole range of boats between 40 and 45 feet and some of these were no better than the Morgan O.I. 416 and others were exceptionally better boats, including the wonderful Hood Design that Gulfstar built for a short time.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Just wondering, what is it you dislike about the OI 416? We have been looking online and like the looks of the layout and spaciousness of cabin, but are having a hard time finding information about sailing characteristics.
Old 10-23-2009

There's no one answer with the 416. There is a tall rig with a higher aspect ratio and better performance to windward; there is a ketch rig with all the compromises that come with the split rig; there's the consideration that the boat is built with a shoal draft that compromises other sailing traits,- also made for opulent space below.....Don't expect to find a vessel that gives you all the positives. When you gain one feature you must give up something else. My Morgan OI is a "cruising truck" that provides for me very well for cruising from Maine to the Bahamas seasonally, but it's not a performance racer. Buy the boat that does what you want it to do! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/58803-morgan-outislander-416-vs-gulfstar.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Pingback 10-10-2009 07:37 PM
morgan outislander 416 vs. Gulfstar - SailNet Community This thread Refback 10-10-2009 06:50 PM