Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
Well..
1. There is a boat with word “Ocean” in its make.
2. The boat has point of vanishing stability of 109 degree.

I have no problem with either fact as separate entities.
However I’m having problem with company making a boat with point of vanishing stability of 109 and calling it “Oceanis”.
I know, I’m weirdo…

And, I think that potential buyer needs to read to this line, at least…

Contributory Causes and Underlying Factors

4. The skipper’s over-optimism about the ability of Ocean Madam to
withstand heavy weather and breaking waves.
The debate about Beneteaus and the like have raged on for quite some time, and I won't rehash that here. Obviously there are boats out there of more robust construction. That said, I will note that indicting an entire brand because one 39' boat, no longer in production, with three crew, 2 of which were not sailors, capsized in a Force 9 storm in the Atlantic Ocean 12 years ago, really not does advance your argument very far. Many, MANY, serious bluewater boats have been rolled in the world's oceans in that kind of weather. And many, MANY, Beneteaus have crossed oceans and withstood heavy weather. Pointing to one incident and extrapolating from that, either way, is not sound logic or reasoning.

I do agree, as I've said several times, that mass production boats are not as stoutly built as certain other more limited production models. But telling a guy who specifically stated that he wants a boat for coastal cruising and living aboard not to buy a Beneteau because of this one story really doesn't do the poster any favors and really leads him astray, IMHO.

Not picking a fight with you, just my opinion, and I didn't want the OP to get the impression that a Beneteau (or Hunter, Catalina, Jeanneau, Hanse, etc.) is not suitable for his stated intended use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
It's name that Beneteau has used from time to time. Doubtful anyone is going to buy the boat and cross an ocean based on the name alone. Anyone that would has more to worry about than that.
Old 11-17-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
T But telling a guy who specifically stated that he wants a boat for coastal cruising and living aboard not to buy a Beneteau because of this one story really doesn't do the poster any favors and really leads him astray, IMHO.

Not picking a fight with you, just my opinion, and I didn't want the OP to get the impression that a Beneteau (or Hunter, Catalina, Jeanneau, Hanse, etc.) is not suitable for his stated intended use.
I don't see in any of my posts any suggestions to buy or not to buy the boat. I believe in free and well thought-out choice...

Here is example, it is taken from BeneteauUSA FaQ page
Beneteau Previous Models:

Visually inspect the keel to hull joint. It is not uncommon to have a small (1/8") gap at the front and rear seam of the keel to deck joint. This is caused by the keel having a flat top and the hull having a rounded shape. The gap should be cleaned with mineral spirits, allowed to dry and filled with 3-M 5200 Marine Adhesive.

After reading this, I wonder, why keel having a flat top, and hull having rounded shape?

There are many other examples from same page, should I continue?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking up a fight either. Questions like this one bother me all my life...

Last edited by CrazyRu; 11-17-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2009

gene80 is on a distinguished road
What eats Zinc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Beneteaus (in general) are great boats that make some compromises that make them very price competitive compared to Catalina.

Here are things that drive me a bit nutty about my era of Beneteau

> Iron keel instead of lead which is starting to rust already
> Not enough zincs...undersized zincs. My boat eats through zincs very quickly...so the diver gets $70 a month from me.
> Interior is usually manufactured surfaces, not a lot of teak...modern looking
> Winches are a bit undersized, and you could stand to have an extra one to manage all the lines
> A bit "over-engineered" but not to the extent of Hunter...the innovations look cool, but at sea sometimes tried/true is better than new/innovative.
What causes the zinc to disappear so rapidly? If the zinc is totally eaten what damage would the boat suffer? Is it difficult to replace the zinc yourself?
Old 11-17-2009
October Moon B43

Metals sitting in salt water and subjected to voltages passing through them will corrode. Since zinc is less noble it gives itself up before bronze, stainless, etc. thereby protecting the more valuable metal. If the zinc wears away and is not replaced then the metals in the prop and or prop shaft can begin to wear away, permanently damaging that item. You can look the list of metals and their nobility up in most boat electric books. You'll also find a more detailed explanation than mine.

There are a number of things that cause zincs to wear away. The salinity level of the water (the saltier the quicker they wear), improperly wired dock power, a neighbors power cord hanging in the water, a neighbors boat improperly wired, your own boat improperly wired (usually a result of a poorly installed modification involving electric connections) to name the most common. (the improper wiring allows stray voltages to leak into the water enabling the corrosion)

Zincs are easy to change. If the boat is out of the water alls it takes is a screw driver and a few minutes. If it's in the water then it takes a screw driver and either scuba gear or really big lungs For added protection some folks place an additional zinc on the shaft behind the prop.

FWIW I'm on my 4th Benny and none of them have eaten zincs out of the ordinary. One exception was our last boat that sat in the same slip for 7 years. Zincs were fine all but the last year when we had a semi derilict boat next to us. Remember my comment on your neighbors boat wiring?

I hope this helps. Perhaps others will provide additional info on the subject.
Mike
Old 11-17-2009

gene80 is on a distinguished road
Zincs

Makes total sense. Thanks for the explanation. So Net: If you're burning through zincs first check your boat/power. If it's not due to a recent change that you made talk to others that dock near by b/c they are more than likely experiencing the same issue.

Glad I'm a diver. Although, diving in a canal doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
Old 11-17-2009
October Moon B43

Gene80, if you're burning through zincs read up on what to check on your boat. There's plenty written on it so finding instructions shouldn't be hard. Or find a qualified marine electrician to investigate if you're unfamiliar with electricity. Also keep in mind to shut off shore power in the surrounding area before you dive. An electrical leak, likely to cause rapid zinc wear, could also be deadly to you or anyone swimming near the electrical leak. Remember you have at least 110VAC with 30 and/or 50 amp service on the power posts at your slip. Finding a nice quiet anchorage to don the gear and scrub the bottom would be my choice.
Old 11-18-2009
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Beneteaus (in general) are great boats that make some compromises that make them very price competitive compared to Catalina.
Could I get some opinions on Catalina quality of construction vs Beneteaus (and sailability, cruiseability, etc). I'm chartering a B393 this Feb and shopping to buy something 36' to 44' in a year or so while it's still a buyers market.

Planned use is east coast, Florida, Bahamas, Carribean.
Old 11-18-2009
October Moon B43

I don't think you'll find much difference in overall quality between the two. Each goes about it differently but the net result is the same; nicely built boats for the money. Catalina like Beneteau has a very strong following of owners and each will try to sell you on their own brand. I think it will boil down to asthetics. Which one catches your eye? How are the cockpit, instruments, sail handling gear, interiors, etc laid out? You'll also want to see how they sail and handle under power. How easy will it be to service or replace parts? How comfortable at anchor or under sail? What does the wife think? Good luck with your shopping.
Old 11-18-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
One thing I will say about Catalina vs Beneteau...(and I love my Beneteau).

The designs tend to be more tried/true for Catalina. Not fancy opening ports/hatches...not a lot of "skylights" that may leak in the future...etc. Their hardware also tends to be a bit sturdier (larger winches for the same LOA..etc). Also, they use Lead keels over Iron which have their plusses and minuses.

Foot for foot, you'll pay about 15% *SNIP*(25%)*SNIP more for a Catalina though.

*I edited to accurately reflect that Catalinas tend to be 10-15% more than a comparable Beneteau.

Last edited by night0wl; 11-22-2009 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/58832-beneteau-oceanis-40-45-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Yachting News (yachtingnews) 's status on Monday, 12-Oct-09 11:40:18 UTC - Identi.ca This thread Refback 11-12-2009 08:23 AM
Beneteau Oceanis 40-45 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 10-12-2009 07:49 AM