SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Beneteau Oceanis 40-45

31K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  ImGary01 
#1 ·
Interested in purchasing a Beneteau Oceanis 40 to 45. Currently working in Abu Dhabi and hope to live on the boat. Any comments about this boat or suggestions regarding other boats that I should consider is greatly appreciated. Besides a place to live my wife and I will use the boat to sail along the coast of UAE and Oman and explore the many islands.

#2 ·
Beneteaus represent excellent 'bang for the buck' Sail well, good storage for the sail things, good acommodation. Not as strongly built as the semi-custon cruisers but adequate for most purposes. I sail in on the US east coast and in the Caribbean and in the last 6 ys and 15,000 miles, except for the odd hurricane, I have not been through anything that a Benateau Oceanis could not handle. (In the four hurricanes I was tied up in th mangroves so the Beneteau would have been fine)

Good luck Phil

#3 ·
They're good boats, I think you'll be fine with one. We're on our fourth and all have been good values, great to sail and very comfortable. In the used market the 411, 423, 461 and 473 should fit your needs. New the 43 or 46 would do you well. We have the 43 and it has a very roomy salon but lacks the extra storage in the cabins the 46 has. Both sail very well and will let you see 8 to 9 kts of speed on a regular basis. The 40 is a smaller version of the 43 but only has one head and lacks some of the storage the 43 has in the galley.

#4 ·
Smaller Beneteau's

MJ, sorry to thread hijack but do you have any experience with the 381 or 361? My wife and I are in the market for newish crusing boat in the 80-100k range to operate out of South Florida with ambitions of 6 months in the Caribbean. We've looked at the 361, 381, and the 411. Any opinion?

Also looking at Catalinas due to larger main cabin or the Jeanneau's.

Thanks,

Gene

#5 ·
We had a 361 for 7 1/2 yrs and loved it. It's a great boat, sails well, and comfortable below as well. The separate shower is bigger than what we have in our 43. It has a large aft cabin and good size galley. Numerous ports and hatches provide good ventilation. Huge cockpit locker for storing all your boat goodies. I've single handed her in winds up to 30 kts with zero issues. We've made runs as long as 12 hours and always felt comfortable. I think she'd be a good choice for something in that price range.

I'm not familiar with the 381 but did consider moving to a 411 which is a nice boat with a good reputation. If you have the extra money to buy a 411 versus the 361, all things being equal, I'd go for it. The extra room and overall size of the boat would be nice to have.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can always send me a private message if you want to take this off line.
Mike

#6 ·
We looked at a 381, and while pretty, we were really concerned about the lack of storage space, especially in the galley. After seeing the 381, we didn't even bother looking at the 361, which is sort of a squashed version of the 381.

#8 ·
Beneteaus (in general) are great boats that make some compromises that make them very price competitive compared to Catalina.

Here are things that drive me a bit nutty about my era of Beneteau

> Iron keel instead of lead which is starting to rust already
> Not enough zincs...undersized zincs. My boat eats through zincs very quickly...so the diver gets $70 a month from me.
> Interior is usually manufactured surfaces, not a lot of teak...modern looking
> Winches are a bit undersized, and you could stand to have an extra one to manage all the lines
> A bit "over-engineered" but not to the extent of Hunter...the innovations look cool, but at sea sometimes tried/true is better than new/innovative.

#14 ·
What eats Zinc?

Beneteaus (in general) are great boats that make some compromises that make them very price competitive compared to Catalina.

Here are things that drive me a bit nutty about my era of Beneteau

> Iron keel instead of lead which is starting to rust already
> Not enough zincs...undersized zincs. My boat eats through zincs very quickly...so the diver gets $70 a month from me.
> Interior is usually manufactured surfaces, not a lot of teak...modern looking
> Winches are a bit undersized, and you could stand to have an extra one to manage all the lines
> A bit "over-engineered" but not to the extent of Hunter...the innovations look cool, but at sea sometimes tried/true is better than new/innovative.
What causes the zinc to disappear so rapidly? If the zinc is totally eaten what damage would the boat suffer? Is it difficult to replace the zinc yourself?

#15 ·
Metals sitting in salt water and subjected to voltages passing through them will corrode. Since zinc is less noble it gives itself up before bronze, stainless, etc. thereby protecting the more valuable metal. If the zinc wears away and is not replaced then the metals in the prop and or prop shaft can begin to wear away, permanently damaging that item. You can look the list of metals and their nobility up in most boat electric books. You'll also find a more detailed explanation than mine.

There are a number of things that cause zincs to wear away. The salinity level of the water (the saltier the quicker they wear), improperly wired dock power, a neighbors power cord hanging in the water, a neighbors boat improperly wired, your own boat improperly wired (usually a result of a poorly installed modification involving electric connections) to name the most common. (the improper wiring allows stray voltages to leak into the water enabling the corrosion)

Zincs are easy to change. If the boat is out of the water alls it takes is a screw driver and a few minutes. If it's in the water then it takes a screw driver and either scuba gear or really big lungs :) For added protection some folks place an additional zinc on the shaft behind the prop.

FWIW I'm on my 4th Benny and none of them have eaten zincs out of the ordinary. One exception was our last boat that sat in the same slip for 7 years. Zincs were fine all but the last year when we had a semi derilict boat next to us. Remember my comment on your neighbors boat wiring?

I hope this helps. Perhaps others will provide additional info on the subject.
Mike

#16 ·
Zincs

Makes total sense. Thanks for the explanation. So Net: If you're burning through zincs first check your boat/power. If it's not due to a recent change that you made talk to others that dock near by b/c they are more than likely experiencing the same issue.

Glad I'm a diver. Although, diving in a canal doesn't sound like a lot of fun. :D

#17 ·
Gene80, if you're burning through zincs read up on what to check on your boat. There's plenty written on it so finding instructions shouldn't be hard. Or find a qualified marine electrician to investigate if you're unfamiliar with electricity. Also keep in mind to shut off shore power in the surrounding area before you dive. An electrical leak, likely to cause rapid zinc wear, could also be deadly to you or anyone swimming near the electrical leak. Remember you have at least 110VAC with 30 and/or 50 amp service on the power posts at your slip. Finding a nice quiet anchorage to don the gear and scrub the bottom would be my choice.

#19 ·
I don't think you'll find much difference in overall quality between the two. Each goes about it differently but the net result is the same; nicely built boats for the money. Catalina like Beneteau has a very strong following of owners and each will try to sell you on their own brand. I think it will boil down to asthetics. Which one catches your eye? How are the cockpit, instruments, sail handling gear, interiors, etc laid out? You'll also want to see how they sail and handle under power. How easy will it be to service or replace parts? How comfortable at anchor or under sail? What does the wife think? Good luck with your shopping.

#20 · (Edited)
One thing I will say about Catalina vs Beneteau...(and I love my Beneteau).

The designs tend to be more tried/true for Catalina. Not fancy opening ports/hatches...not a lot of "skylights" that may leak in the future...etc. Their hardware also tends to be a bit sturdier (larger winches for the same LOA..etc). Also, they use Lead keels over Iron which have their plusses and minuses.

Foot for foot, you'll pay about 15% *SNIP*(25%)*SNIP more for a Catalina though.

*I edited to accurately reflect that Catalinas tend to be 10-15% more than a comparable Beneteau.

#21 ·
Crazy - that report is definitely interesting...especially in light of their route which, in earlier discussions about what constitutes "blue water", could be classified as "extended coastal" (from Malta, to Gibraltar, to A Caruna, and toward Plymouth); the farthest point from land being in the Bay of Biscay where they rolled (maybe 300-350 nm from land?).

So, with that in mind, look at this section of the report...

"2.1 TheYacht

Ocean Madam was a production Beneteau Oceanis 390 yacht. The class is typical
of its type with a high volume, low ballast ratio, light displacement and shallow
hull form. It is highly suitable for most activities including charter work and has a
good safety record. It is not a suitable craft for crossing oceans in bad weather.

Such craft are more susceptible to the effects of oceanic weather conditions and
especially to heavy seas. No stability information about the yacht was held in
board. Indeed at the time of purchase such information was only made available by
the builders to owners on request. There is no evidence to suggest the craft was
unsuitable for moderately rough weather conditions nor is it suggested there should
be any restrictions imposed. The lack of this information about the yacht's
stability, including a GZ curve, denied the skipper any opportunity to scrutinise the
possible implications of handling such a yacht in a very high sea state. The
limitations of this type of light displacement craft are, however, well known to
experienced blue water sailors."

Was it an "ocean crossing"? Or was it "coastal"?

Interesting reading. Lots to think about.

#24 ·
Lead is more dense, so a lead keel gives you more weight down low than an iron one of the same size. Lead is malleable, so if you bash it, it will deform, then can be refaired (there is a limit to this, of course). Iron rusts.

The plus of iron is the lower cost.

#28 · (Edited)
S/V Maiora

jgrasell,

We have a 1996 Beneteau Oceanis 400. Our boat is the 3 cabin 2 head layout. My wife and I bought her over a year ago now. When I'm home (not deployed in your part of the world) we sail her constantly.

She has crossed the Straits of Juan De Fuca several times and brought us through in winds at or near 40 knots or a little more with me single handing her. We have an 11 month old and my wife is usually busy taking care of her.

We have taken her on a few 15 day trips and a bunch of week long and long weekend trips in all types of weather.

Before we bought her we looked at almost 100 boats of comparable length from 38-45 feet and from 1975-new. We like our decision but there were other boats I enjoyed sailing including Catalinas,J boats, a beautiful Moody and a few other Beneteaus.

Since we bought her I have installed or purchased:
A Boom Break
An Asym. Spinnaker
Engine Insulation
Increased the sail inventory
Flexofold prop (made a .5 kts difference in anything below hull speed)
Davits

What we like:
She sails to weather extremely well for a "performance cruiser".
She reaches hull speed (7.3ish kts) with little effort. For a cruiser she is a good light air boat.
The Pullman berth is outstanding.
When trimmed correctly she has a light responsive helm that is well balanced.
The inside is beautiful with plenty of room, a good galley and a comfy living space (the extra cabin becomes storage when no one is using it).
Light and airy interior

What we don't:
Like a lot of the newer, lighter boats she's not as sea kindly as a full keel boat weighing twice as much. This boat is not as happy in a following sea as a boat without the suger scoop stern.
With three cabins she could use more tankage.
She's loud when motoring (hence the insulation which helped).
The aft head has a shower but is only really usable as a head and wet locker (too cramped to shower in).
I wish she had a few more handholds down below for heavy seas.

Hope this helps you make a decision. Feel free to ask for pics if you want them.
Brian-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.