Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009

jgrasell is on a distinguished road
Beneteau Oceanis 40-45

Interested in purchasing a Beneteau Oceanis 40 to 45. Currently working in Abu Dhabi and hope to live on the boat. Any comments about this boat or suggestions regarding other boats that I should consider is greatly appreciated. Besides a place to live my wife and I will use the boat to sail along the coast of UAE and Oman and explore the many islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2009

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Beneteaus represent excellent 'bang for the buck' Sail well, good storage for the sail things, good acommodation. Not as strongly built as the semi-custon cruisers but adequate for most purposes. I sail in on the US east coast and in the Caribbean and in the last 6 ys and 15,000 miles, except for the odd hurricane, I have not been through anything that a Benateau Oceanis could not handle. (In the four hurricanes I was tied up in th mangroves so the Beneteau would have been fine)

Good luck Phil
Old 11-15-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
They're good boats, I think you'll be fine with one. We're on our fourth and all have been good values, great to sail and very comfortable. In the used market the 411, 423, 461 and 473 should fit your needs. New the 43 or 46 would do you well. We have the 43 and it has a very roomy salon but lacks the extra storage in the cabins the 46 has. Both sail very well and will let you see 8 to 9 kts of speed on a regular basis. The 40 is a smaller version of the 43 but only has one head and lacks some of the storage the 43 has in the galley.
Old 11-17-2009

gene80 is on a distinguished road
Smaller Beneteau's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown View Post
They're good boats, I think you'll be fine with one. We're on our fourth and all have been good values, great to sail and very comfortable. In the used market the 411, 423, 461 and 473 should fit your needs. New the 43 or 46 would do you well. We have the 43 and it has a very roomy salon but lacks the extra storage in the cabins the 46 has. Both sail very well and will let you see 8 to 9 kts of speed on a regular basis. The 40 is a smaller version of the 43 but only has one head and lacks some of the storage the 43 has in the galley.
MJ, sorry to thread hijack but do you have any experience with the 381 or 361? My wife and I are in the market for newish crusing boat in the 80-100k range to operate out of South Florida with ambitions of 6 months in the Caribbean. We've looked at the 361, 381, and the 411. Any opinion?

Also looking at Catalinas due to larger main cabin or the Jeanneau's.

Thanks,

Gene
Old 11-17-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We had a 361 for 7 1/2 yrs and loved it. It's a great boat, sails well, and comfortable below as well. The separate shower is bigger than what we have in our 43. It has a large aft cabin and good size galley. Numerous ports and hatches provide good ventilation. Huge cockpit locker for storing all your boat goodies. I've single handed her in winds up to 30 kts with zero issues. We've made runs as long as 12 hours and always felt comfortable. I think she'd be a good choice for something in that price range.

I'm not familiar with the 381 but did consider moving to a 411 which is a nice boat with a good reputation. If you have the extra money to buy a 411 versus the 361, all things being equal, I'd go for it. The extra room and overall size of the boat would be nice to have.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can always send me a private message if you want to take this off line.
Mike
Old 11-17-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
We looked at a 381, and while pretty, we were really concerned about the lack of storage space, especially in the galley. After seeing the 381, we didn't even bother looking at the 361, which is sort of a squashed version of the 381.
Old 11-17-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
And, I guess, any potential buyer needs to read this:

Report of the
Marine Accident Investigation Branch
Investigation into the capsize of the Yacht
OCEAN MADAM
with the loss of one life
in the Bay of Biscay
8 October 1997

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...an%20Madam.pdf
Old 11-17-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Beneteaus (in general) are great boats that make some compromises that make them very price competitive compared to Catalina.

Here are things that drive me a bit nutty about my era of Beneteau

> Iron keel instead of lead which is starting to rust already
> Not enough zincs...undersized zincs. My boat eats through zincs very quickly...so the diver gets $70 a month from me.
> Interior is usually manufactured surfaces, not a lot of teak...modern looking
> Winches are a bit undersized, and you could stand to have an extra one to manage all the lines
> A bit "over-engineered" but not to the extent of Hunter...the innovations look cool, but at sea sometimes tried/true is better than new/innovative.
Old 11-17-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
And, I guess, any potential buyer needs to read this:

Report of the
Marine Accident Investigation Branch
Investigation into the capsize of the Yacht
OCEAN MADAM
with the loss of one life
in the Bay of Biscay
8 October 1997

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...an%20Madam.pdf
What do you think this shows, and why do you think "any potential buyer" needs to read it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
What do you think this shows, and why do you think "any potential buyer" needs to read it?
Well..
1. There is a boat with word “Ocean” in its make.
2. The boat has point of vanishing stability of 109 degree.

I have no problem with either fact as separate entities.
However I’m having problem with company making a boat with point of vanishing stability of 109 and calling it “Oceanis”.
I know, I’m weirdo…

And, I think that potential buyer needs to read to this line, at least…

Contributory Causes and Underlying Factors

4. The skipper’s over-optimism about the ability of Ocean Madam to
withstand heavy weather and breaking waves.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/58832-beneteau-oceanis-40-45-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Yachting News (yachtingnews) 's status on Monday, 12-Oct-09 11:40:18 UTC - Identi.ca This thread Refback 11-12-2009 08:23 AM
Beneteau Oceanis 40-45 - SailNet Community This thread Refback 10-12-2009 07:49 AM