Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
It is a 1981 C&C 32 with the standard fin keel.

The port lights are unframed ... they are simply lexan windows that are bonded to a flange with sealant. They are irregularly shaped ... original factory design and shape ... is there a metal framed portlight that will drop in place? Would I have to get a custom job done? Reshape the portlight openings?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2010

dewittcap is on a distinguished road
C & C 32

I have owned several C & C's; 1980 32, hull #2, C & C 35 III and a C & C 40. These are solid yachts with few issues. I campaigned my '32 and was quite successful despite this was really a 34 with the transom cut off, but with a slightly more modern hull design. It's a quick boat around the bouys, but you have to watch too much heel (too much sail area) as it has a tendency to round up. With a smallish stern, its a little dicey downwind in a blow.. If you over tighten the rig (often the case with sailmakers) the sides will dimple. I never had issues with port leaks. It can be wet in the cockpit Good luck. I wouldn't hesitate limited offshore passages with a good weather window.
Old 02-01-2010

albe1066 is on a distinguished road
Our first boat was a 1980 C&C 32. While we did not spend days crossing an ocean we found the boat to be very stable and she always brought us home. We never had the boat to round up and we tried. One attempt we had full sail 120% genoa and full main in 25 - 30 knots of wind - she dug in and accelerated. We were doing 7.5 to over 8 knots according to on-board instruments and GPS. We were new to sailing and wanted to see how much weather helm she would develop. Typically we had very little pressure on the helm. On the day with full sails in 25 + she did develop more weather helm but at no time did she round up. The size of the engine concerned us after a bad experience with weather. We were crossing a large shallow sound blowing 35 the wrong way and attempted to motor to better weather with little results. Bad forecast and inexperience on our part put us in a uncomfortable position. The seas were steep with a short period and a few came over the stern into the cockpit and left sand - Ouch. We had ~50 miles to go. The engine was too small to push the boat to weather. We changed course and luckily after about 4 hours we found were the wind had dropped to 25. We learned alot about our boat and weather forecasts that day. The other thing that gave me some concern was she would pound going into a sea when coming off waves. The first time we heard the pounding we were about 20 miles from home in steep seas with a short period. We were concerned we were going to break the boat. After a couple of hours we got used to the pounding. We loved that boat so much we turned down two offers to purchase because we did not think the people would take care of our 32. We sold her for less to a fellow who had a smaller C&C and was looking for a 32. We were happy we found her a very good home. I shed tears when she was loaded on a truck for transit to her new home. Heck I still get teary eyes when I think of her..
Old 03-09-2010

Motherdog is on a distinguished road
Are we allowed to post a picture in this forum and ask for input? I have no idea what kind of boat I just boat so I am looking for help to identify it.
Old 03-09-2010

Motherdog is on a distinguished road
OOps! That should have said "what kind of boat I just bought."
Old 05-19-2010
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Just look at the Sail Calculator Pro and you get a quick idea of her seaworthiness, capsize ratio, and motion comfort compared to other 32 footers. I looked at one too for sailing on Lake Michigan but opted for an older Irwin 32 Classic as the Admiral felt it was more sea comfortable. If the boat was/is maintained good she will do what you intended to do with her and remember 25 year or older boats always have leaking ports, the question is how to stop those leaks inexpensively.
You must have been sailing her as she was delivered 6-8 moths ago. Let us know

Last edited by EJO; 05-19-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-15-2010

bigchump is on a distinguished road
Hi Scrapf:
My ports do not leak and I am in Portland Or. where rain is a way of life.
I get a drop or two down the mast but that goes directly into the bilge.
I have 13 bags of premium North sails for any of you hotshots out there.

In my opinion the C&C 32 is the best of the 30 footers produced in the early '80's.
I've never figured out why it's called a 32.
The LOA is 31'4" and it fits very nicely into a 30 foot slip.
The build quality is excellent.
I would recommend the Irwin 32 as a better choice to my mother-in-law and my former drill instructor.
Old 06-15-2010
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Bigchump reply

Hey Bigchump you might be right that these old Irwin's are good for M-I-L and/or the Drill Sargent, both of whom know something about sailing.
Just last Thursday when the local (South Haven, MI) cruiser/race fleet was out for their weekly race I followed a couple of boats out. I was the last one getting out on the Lake and hoisting the sails. Following 4 boat on a close reach withing a half hour I passed all 4. These were boats from the early 1980's thru 1990 sailing in a 10 knts. wind, which windspeed is about the minimum my boat needs to have some kind of forward motion.
My 1973 Irwin 32 with 1989 main and 2002 150% genoa out ran this Westsail 32, C&C 32, Hunter 31 and Catalina 310. The Westsail is a much heavier boat than mine but the other three should sail the same or better than mine and it was like they stood still .
All 6 of us on board were comfortable and mother in law and DS would have enjoyed it too although they call me Capt. Bligh and the DS might have started a mutiny .
With 13 sails on board you must be a much better sailor than the average cruiser. Maybe I should carry my 1973 sail too as they would be well "formed" by now and I'll have 3 sailbags and two sails up on the boat.
Bottom line look at a(the) boat you're buying with open eyes, weigh the positives and negatives for what you want to do and make an educated decision so you can enjoy sailing.
EJO
Old 11-21-2011

bigchump is on a distinguished road
@smp:
I got your PM but I am unable to reply because I don't have enough posts.
PM me again with your email.

Jeff

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/59161-c-c-32-opinions-seaworthiness.html
Posted By For Type Date
C&C 32: Opinions of seaworthiness? - SailNet Community This thread Refback 10-22-2009 06:17 PM