Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009

fido5407 is on a distinguished road
OMC inboard sail drive

need some tips and comments on a 1978 omc sail drive is this a good inboard system or a nightmare, this system is in a 1978 25 foot o,day comments good or bad please
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Unfortunately these drive systems are closer to nightmare than otherwise. Most boats originally supplied with them have long turned to outboards - and many of them are still dragging the "leg" around rather than do a proper job of removal and refairing!

Cooling issues, difficulty in keeping seawater out of the engine internals, corrosion, troublesome ignition systems head the list of historical problems. Given all that and the fact that they are gasoline engines generally affects value considerably.

Sorry to be negative, but we had several boats in our club with that engine and all of them experienced problems to the degree that those boats have switched to outboards on the transom.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-22-2009

fido5407 is on a distinguished road
OMC sail drive

thank you faster I have been looking at two boats with this drive, I will be cautious in the feature with boats that are powered with this system.

Steve
Old 11-25-2009

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
I realize this thread is 4 weeks old. I am posting tihs for anyone else looking for info on OMC Saildrive.

However there is a yahoo group dedicated to the OMC Saildrive. Currently 493 members most of whom have boats with this engine. It was an OK engine and if you are mechanically inclined and the lower unit is not corroded and pitted you may be ok with it. The good news is that most boats with OMC saildrive are small enough that they can easily be converted to an outboard motor if the saildrive dies.

The link to the site is saildriveowners : Saildrive Owners Group for any readers out there interested. There are a lot of people on the email list associated with that site that can answer typical maintenance questions.

Am I affiliated. Yes. My slipmate had an OMC saildrive back in 2002 and was basically on his own doing maintenance. I said to him one day that there should be a web site or owners group so I created the Yahoo group and it took on a life of its own.

It is amazing how many of these are still in service. They are however old and a lot of work to maintain ...

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-25-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
That's good information, Mike.. thanks.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 06-01-2010

atk260lq is on a distinguished road
I owned an 8.0 S2 with OMC saildrive. It ran like a top, was easy to maintain and winterize, and started easily all the time. It did use a lot of fuel. The prop never came up out of the water, it wasn't too noisy, and came with a big tank. It think this system with an updated 4 stroke head would be ideal. I did treat the gas prior to storage every year and would put extended hours of those windless cruise E to W on Lake Erie.
Old 06-01-2010
Just another Moderator

Perhaps there's a salt water vs fresh water factor in the success of these drives.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/59164-omc-inboard-sail-drive.html
Posted By For Type Date
OMC inboard sail drive - sailing answers This thread Refback 10-10-2013 05:30 PM
OMC inboard sail drive - SailNet Community - OMC Blogs This thread Refback 05-12-2010 04:23 PM
OMC inboard sail drive - SailNet Community - OMC Blogs This thread Refback 05-12-2010 04:23 PM
Sailing - WebPartner Feed This thread Refback 10-22-2009 09:35 PM
OMC inboard sail drive - SailNet Community This thread Refback 10-22-2009 09:18 PM