Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009

drpc is on a distinguished road
buying the right sailboat

I am a an inexperienced sailor scheduled to spend a week at J school Florida in January.
I hope to purchased a used sailboat to sail(day ) Bothbay Harbor ME.
I have looked at Cape Dory 25D, Cape Dory 27
and am reading about Ericson 28
The reason I am attracted to Cape Dory is the lines, big center keel , safe etc.
But what do I know. If you were in the market for a used boat between 25-28 ft. for sailing in the ME waters by myself and with friends what characteristics would you look for and which boats have them?
thanks
drpc
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If I was looking for a mid to upper 20s footer for daysailing I'd be looking for a bit more maneuverability and speed than the (admittedly pretty) Cape Dory line. Of your list I'd favour the E28...

Since you're planning to daysail with friends then I'd look for a larger cockpit to accommodate those friends - many of the "offshore" small boats won't have much cockpit, and others that boast berths for 5 or 6 won't either.

Daysailing minimizes the need for below deck amenities so you can look at some boats that are not intended to be overnighters.

Here's the result of a YW search for daysailers/weekenders 24-27 feet.:

1981 daysailer (Sail) Daysailer/Weekender Boats For Sale

Don't know what your budget is but boats like a Santana 525, or a J27 come to mind for your intended plans - both way on the other end of the spectrum from the Cape Dory.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-14-2009

drpc is on a distinguished road
Thanks
I like a slighter larger boat with a larger space for people who might want to be inside during a late day early evening sail .
I am not interested in racing. I want the quiet and beauty of sailing along the Maine coast with amenities that wouls make it comfortable
drpc
Old 11-14-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
OK.... so not much help then... but that really doesn't sound like daysailing so much, which changes things a lot. Nevertheless there were several boats in that search link that may well fit your bill still.

In any event, good luck with your search.. but by the sound of it a cruiser like Cape Dory and others may well suit you best.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/59810-buying-right-sailboat.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Pingback 11-15-2009 07:31 AM
buying the right sailboat - SailNet Community This thread Refback 11-14-2009 06:43 PM