SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Reviews (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/)
-   -   Coronado 25 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/60404-coronado-25-a.html)

BubbleheadMd 12-08-2009 06:17 PM

Coronado 25

After seeing the moderator request for boat reviews, I figured I'd throw what I've learned about the Coronado 25 in with the caveat that I haven't sailed it yet and promise to come back and update this post with it's performance characteristics once I do. In the meantime, I can offer some anecdotal evidence from other owners I've been in contact with.

Below is a link which provides some manufacturer's specs and a brochure photo from the period that the boat was manufactured.

Coronado Specs

Frank Butler acquired Wesco, and began Coronado Yachts. The Coronado 25 was produced from 1965-1975. However, in 1968 the company was sold to the Whittaker corporation which had also acquired Columbia Yachts. I'm not sure if this means that from '69 on, these boats were considered "Columbias". My '69 ID plate says "Coronado Yachts".

As of this writing, my boat (Hull #1137) is 40 years old. Frankly, I'm amazed at the condition. There is very, very little crazing or cracks anywhere in the hull. I did find one area near the starboard rub rail amidships that looks like it was stressed from an impact. No indentation, but that circular series of cracks in the gelcoat.

Displacement: 4500 lbs, with 2150 lbs of ballast in 'glass encased lead, fixed keel, attached to the hull with 4 large bolts. The 25 model was also available in a retractable centerboard, and I hear a smaller shoal fixed keel. Not certain about the last one.

Rig: Masthead sloop
LOA: 25'
LWL: 20'
Beam: 8'
Draught: 3.6'

Hull speed has been reported to me as 7 knots in force 5 winds by a long-time owner.

The mast is deck-stepped, steering is tiller vs. wheel.

Accomodations
The boat is rated to sleep 5; 2 in the V-berth, one quarter-berth and one double-berth when the dinette is collapsed into the sleeping position. A 13? gallon potable water tank is under the V-berth and runs to a manual pump sink at the galley station in the main cabin. There is an ice-box next to the sink. Access is through the counter-top. In the cabinetry, the ice box and the sink both drain to a single thru-hull. There is stowage on either side of the water tank in the V-berth, under the dinette seats (double-berth), galley cabinet and drawers, and cockpit lockers. There's also a hang-up locker opposite the toilet. There are portlights all along the deck, allowing light in all sections. There is a scuttle above the V-berth.

There is a "nav-station" which when set up, eliminates access to the quarter-berth. It's simply a clipboard mounted to a flip-up panel. The marine band radio is also meant to mount near here.

The boat was originally equipped with a pump head in the V-berth. Due to modern environmental regulations, most owners have 'glassed over and plugged these thru-hulls and replaced the head with an RV or marine cassette toilet. Some boats appear to have been equipped with a 3-burner alcohol stove inset into the galley counter top.

Electrical systems/Electronics

The boat is wired to accomodate 110v shore power by plugging into a male receptacle in the battery space aft of the dinette/double-berth. The fuses, wire distribution and 2, 12v marine batteries reside in this space. The 110v power is distributed to 3 normal, 110v outlets evenly spaced throughout the belowdecks area.

A master switch bank with battery selection and cutoff are mounted on the side of the aft dinette seat. The switch bank controls all lighting systems, the bilge pump and allows for an additional "accessory" circuit.The DC systems are totally separate from the shore power systems. Factory instrumentation consisted of a knotmeter and a compass mounted in the cockpit.

Propulsion
Auxiliary propulsion on my boat is provided by a new, Honda 9.9 4-stroke that resides in a hidden engine well. I've read that these boats were also offered with an inboard, but I haven't met anyone that has one yet. Main and jib are manual furling (obviously, as the boat's 40 years old). The website www.coronadosailboats.com recently went offline, it appears due to failure to pay the hosting bill. The only other Coronado specific forum I'm aware of is on Yahoo.

My short motor sail from the place of purchase to my home, was in a moderate chop on the Chesapeake Bay. The boat is stiff and stable and pretty much shrugged off the chop. The boat is heavy and probably won't have great "light wind" performance, but I think you can get her moving with the right sails. My opinion is that the boat makes a great weekender or a little longer with 2-3 people, and a great daysailer, maybe weekender with 4 people. If you're a simple person, I say you could live on it indefinitely if you're single-handing.

Opinions from people I've spoken to range from "very solid, reliable but heavy boat" to "It was the cat's pajamas at the time" to "this boat's weakness was it's thru-hulls so watch out" and that the boat sails somewhat stiffly. I'll find out myself soon enough I suppose. My opinion of the design of the boat is that the look is certainly not that of a racer. It looks sturdy and a little truckish, maybe not as graceful as one might expect of a sailing vessel. Still, I like it and I wanted something tough that will forgive my early errors.

Photos are below. I apologize for the appearance of the boat. These were taken as I took possession of the boat. So there ya have it.

http://i48.tinypic.com/ztsrht.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/otja7o.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/10zzuqh.jpg

BreakAwayFL 02-15-2012 01:49 PM

I would love some updates! In my quest to buy aboat, I gave up two deposits and then finally selected a Coronado 25 in fantastic shape, due to both condition and reported forgiving nature to a new sailor. Since you've had her for three years now, an update of your experiences would be wonderful. Also, does anyone know her bridge clearance requirements?

Thanks!

BreakAwayFL 03-19-2012 11:19 AM

Re: Coronado 25

bump

Seawolf-vital 03-21-2012 05:02 PM

i need 35' clearance. My mast is 30' and i know it is shorter than full keel version mast (mine is CB)

BreakAwayFL 03-21-2012 05:11 PM

I have the full keel version and also need 35'. There was a "Tall" option that you may be thinking of.

Seawolf-vital 03-21-2012 05:23 PM

i fond some data a few days ago(as i need new sails) and it sais that full keel mast taller

BreakAwayFL 03-21-2012 05:32 PM

Just went under a 35' bridge Saturday with a foot to spare.... not sure what to tell ya.

Seawolf-vital 03-21-2012 10:11 PM

measured my mast is about 29'.... would love to see full keel version mast spec(even rough) because i was thinking about getting taller mast

BubbleheadMd 03-22-2012 09:24 AM

Here's for the fin keel:
Coronado 25 fin keel

Here's for the centerboard:
Coronado 25 centerboard

These boats don't have a "full" keel. :) Hope this helps.

Seawolf-vital 03-22-2012 11:23 AM

By saying "full keel" i meant fin hull :)
from data i have
I J P E
Coronado25 31.33 8.92 27.75 11.90
Coronado25 CB 29.66 9.00 25.33 11.00

Dont really know what to believe now :(. I gonna measure mine properly later on. I think cabins are the same