Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009

BVIslander is on a distinguished road
Gulfstar 37 (1979)

I welcome all comments and reviews on this boat, particularly its sailing qualities and performance.
thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2009

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Very strong hull,comfortable livreabord,engine room a nightmare(unless you 4ft tall,2ft round with 6ft arms capable of lifting 200 lbs).They are very dry,seldom water over bow.Need to rig sail to hold in wind a t anchor will sit side sea,Had one & would recommend.marc ps very attractive,
Old 12-28-2009

cthomas is on a distinguished road
i have sailed hundreds of miles on an 1981 model. great boat. handles weather really well. not as fast as some but definitely comfortable.
Old 11-14-2013

freedoman is on a distinguished road
Re: Gulfstar 37 (1979)

I've owned a 1979 Gulfstar 37 sloop for 23 years now and can reliably say that except for tight access to the engine room the vessel is well thought out and has served us well in all types of seas and weather. It's a roomy comfortable vessel with exceptional storage space due to it's 12' 9" beam that's carried aft almost to the stern. We've had to sail in 12' seas with wind gusting to 35 for ten hours from Nantucket, through Woods Hole and into Buzzards Bay to the Cape Cod Canal and she took it all well. That being said for heavy weather, it is by no means a dog in light air. I would recommend this boat to anyone. You'll feel safe and secure in most any weather and the wide beam carried aft allows not only for a longer waterline and higher computed hull speed, but offers a roomy main salon, head, V berth and storage below decks. The cockpti is wide, long and roomy as well. What convinced me on a Gulfstar at the time was that Ted Hood was the sole distributer for them in the NE when they were still being made by Gulstar in St Perersbug, Fl. We still sail it around Cape Cod and the islands and I often sail singlehanded. It's a very forgiving boat and will treat you well.