Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Very cool trip report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx246 View Post
Thanks to the replies so far.

I need something that is practical enough for a daysailing or I wont use it. I compare the possibility of a mono as a substitute for a popup. We camp at the lake fairly often and I would like to use a mono for that. Two hour set up at the ramp would be a killjoy. It doesnt have to sleep but two. I enjoy going to different lakes and exploring.

Here is a trip I did on my Hobie

THE FULL LAKE AMISTAD ADVENTURE REPORT - Catsailor.com Forums

The boat is a means to an end. I really would like to be able to get in shallow water even if it means pulling sails down and motoring in.

If the cabin will hold a couple of coolers and keep me dry if it is raining, that would be great. I would prefer a big cockpit.

Speed is relative. Ive been on a big lake and was impressed at the speeds some of the big sailboats seemed to be going. Going downwind was no contest as most of em pulled me (I was loaded with two and another 100lbs of gear).

As far as the Hunter, I have a bass boat for the water skiing/fishing but to be honest, I havent used it as much as I would like as the 150 2s drinks fuel in $100 bills.

I just purchased a new to me Hobie this fall to replace my boat who was feeling her age. If I get a mono, Ill probably have to sell it. I could keep my boards though
Small boats can go far.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2010

tx246 is on a distinguished road
I agree ^^ but to actually carry gear and get wet WHEN you want to is a big selling point to the wife. She will Hobie occasionally but only in the middle of July as she shivers in any water temp less than 80. The hassle of a sailboat that quits on you 1/2mile out has been a turn off too. I dont mind as the wind eventually shows up but some of my guests/wife have been put off by it.
Old 01-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a Telstar 28 sport trimaran that can be used for daysailing, as well as more extended cruising. It is probably more boat than you want, but allows gunkholing in very shallow areas, since it has a rudder/board up draft of only 14" or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx246 View Post
Thanks to the replies so far.

I need something that is practical enough for a daysailing or I wont use it. I compare the possibility of a mono as a substitute for a popup. We camp at the lake fairly often and I would like to use a mono for that. Two hour set up at the ramp would be a killjoy. It doesnt have to sleep but two. I enjoy going to different lakes and exploring.

Here is a trip I did on my Hobie

The boat is a means to an end. I really would like to be able to get in shallow water even if it means pulling sails down and motoring in.

If the cabin will hold a couple of coolers and keep me dry if it is raining, that would be great. I would prefer a big cockpit.

Speed is relative. Ive been on a big lake and was impressed at the speeds some of the big sailboats seemed to be going. Going downwind was no contest as most of em pulled me (I was loaded with two and another 100lbs of gear).

As far as the Hunter, I have a bass boat for the water skiing/fishing but to be honest, I havent used it as much as I would like as the 150 2s drinks fuel in $100 bills.

I just purchased a new to me Hobie this fall to replace my boat who was feeling her age. If I get a mono, Ill probably have to sell it. I could keep my boards though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2010

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
I got hooked on Hobies while stationed on the West Coast and bought my own when I got back from the 'nam and pulled it all the way back to Fla. My wife and I sailed it both racing and beach camping all over the gulf coast. When we stated the family she quit sailing with me, the flying hull in double trap just was no longer her thing, The hobie became the big thing in the back yard where the grass wasn't cut. I started crewing on mono's where speed was the thing but there speed was different and boat reaction time was sooo much slooower but the pace was just as frantic. As the kids grew up the Hobie got pulled out of the grass, new sails and tarps and mom watched from the beach and grilled hot dogs and burgers. Well the kids grew up and moved on and the Hobie was not a single handed boat and the youger set didn't want to sail with the old man. The Hobie went and a Catalina 22 came, mom joined me on afternoon sails and moonlite outings and now we sail relaxed, enjoying the ride, geting an adrenilin rush when she hits a plane and going home refresh and relaxed. I can't tell you boat to buy, tha'ts between you and the boat. I can tell you that as you grow older and your life and circumstances change, keep sailing something. Driving a Hobie drove salt water deep into your veins and you have to keep it refreshed.
Old 10-27-2010

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I'll second your being a candidate for a MacGregor 26M or 26X.
Once practiced, setup & take down is same as your Hobie.
It is trailerable with a class 3 tow vehicle and can be towed or launched vitually anywhwere.
You can retract all boards and motor into 1 foot of water and beach it.
Under power it is faster than any other monohulls of similar size/weight.
Under sail it performs well enough and can in the right conditions get up to 8-9 knots.
It has a roomy cabin that willl keep you and your gear dry & warm (easily sleeps two or more).
Cockpit is roomy & dry.
Maintenance is simple, easy & inexpensive.
It will replace your Bass boat and Hobie in one.
Gas bill is relative to how much you use the engine, I don't use it much.
Parts are readily available and user support group is extensive.
I used to sail a 15' catamaran and the MacGregor is luxurious compared to that.
The transition to monohull is much easier with a MacGregor, or so I found.
The MacGregor is not for everyone though so you should check it out carefully, it is a hybrid and not without compromises.
Old 11-15-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
Maybe you should stick with Hobie...33.

I have a Hobie 14 and like you saw the need to go for a more family oriented boat. I bought a 17' AFC, with a small cabin. It is slow and difficult to steer. I'm looking to move to something faster as soon as it comes along. One thing I've tried to do is look at PHRF ratings for different boats. Trying to find the lowest number in the size I can afford, as I assume it will be a good gauge of boat speed.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Old 07-01-2011

jefffmaz is on a distinguished road
I have had my NACRA 5.2 for 27 years. Can't bear the thought of parting with it.
At my age it is one of the few things that gets my heart pumping. Someday I gotta slug down and buy a mono.
Someone said monos point higher than cats. Heck, I didn't even know that my cat pointed at all. With it's hull speed and apparent wind effect, pointing is actually broad reaching. You have to work at going upwind, keep the brakes on so you don't shake the cloth. I guess it's a necessary evil when I need to get somewhere, but usually the idea is just go fast and hang on.
Old 07-01-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
You need something sporty'ish, quick, with a cuddy cabin, and trailerable... voila!

U20 Class Association
Old 07-01-2011
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Yup, a U20 is a good alternative to wean you off the cats. They do point high as well. Last year during one of our club races we got out-pointed by at least 10 degrees in my friends Ranger 22 by a U20. Pretty embarrassing.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 07-04-2011

wavetrust25 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you have some sailing experience. I'm really into windsurfing, but boating sounds fun as well. Where do you go windsurfing in Texas?

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 07-08-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: removed link to commercial website -- no free advertising please!