Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010

tx246 is on a distinguished road
Hobie 16 to a Mono Questions

Sailing Background

I am 44 and live in NTexas. I have owned a Hobie 16 for 18yrs. It has been a fun boat and Ive used it on local lakes from 35-120k acres in size. I like its performance and it is a great daysail. I have made brackets and loaded tents and coolers and camped off the boat(week) on trips on Lake Amistad on the Tex/Mex border. Use of the Hobie dropped off 6yrs ago when I picked up windsurfing. Set up on a Hobie is 30-40min. Windsurfing gets me on the water in 10. I love the speed of both the Hobie and the board.

I am interested in a mono because of its ability to carry its passengers in comfort and its weekend/weeklong cruising capability. I need a trailerable 19-20ft and probably something fairly quick to set up.

During boat research I noticed hull speed numbers and have noticed people commenting on getting excited on hitting 9kts. I realize monos are not planing hulls but what is a reasonable speed for a 19-22ft trailerable? I hit 25 on the windsurfer and gpsd 18-20mph on the Hobie. Of course I am never dry and have to drink whatever I put in the drybag. Can anybody comment on boat speeds of this class. N.Texas has pretty good wind conditions. Lots of days 10-20mph. Rarely windless. Even in a 10mph wind the Hobie cruises 7-8mph.

Looking for a list of Pros and Cons from going Hobie to Mono from somebody that has been here before.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
9kts would be very exciting indeed on a 20 foot mono. Prepare yourself for a major slowdown. For most 20 foot monos, 6 is as good as it gets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 01-10-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I started on a H16 and had a H18 as well. I loved the speed and excitement. But, when the wife and I decided to start a family she suggested we look at a more baby freindly sailboat. After many months of looking we ended up with a Pearson 30. It will be very easy to transition from the H16 to a mono.
- The mono's can tack easily, even at slow speeds and light winds with chop
- The stuff you take with you will stay dry
- Your knees will not be all callused after a season of sailing
- If you leave it in the water there is no set up time. Just go
- If the wind dies you don't have to paddle
- Everything happens in slow motion so you feel like you are futher ahead of the boat

That said on a mono it is exciting to hit six knots and heel over 45 deg. There are several different challenges to meet. And, you actually relax while sailing. I love Hobie sailing. However it was not a good way to relax. Blow off steam, yes. Get my adrenaline pumping, yes. Relax after a stressful week at work, not so much. When my daughter is old enough I will get another H16 for her, and me, to sail, but for now I am enjoying the mono-slug.

The one thing to keep in mind is the mono's have inertia. On the Hobies the crew weighed more than the boat. On mono's it is the other way around. When learning how to dock, keep the boat moving only as fast as you want to hit something when you get close in.

If you can, keep the H16 around for a fix once in a while. If you have any more detailed questions about the transition, feel free to PM me.
________
The Peak Towers Pattaya

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2010

Ok. So 6 is as good as it gets. Is that at all points of sail? How well do they point. I know they tack well. What kind of average speed over the course of a day in solid 15mph wind? Just a guess would be great.
Old 01-11-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You sound like a great candidate for a MacGregor 26. Bigger gas bill though.
Attached Thumbnails
Hobie 16 to a Mono Questions-4.jpg   Hobie 16 to a Mono Questions-2a.jpg   Hobie 16 to a Mono Questions-waterski.jpg  
Old 01-12-2010

donlofland is on a distinguished road
I've also made the transition from Hobie 16's to windsurfers, and now a 27' monohull. I(I bought the boat because I didn't have time to get down to the Gorge from the Seattle area often enough...)

Monohulls are a whole 'nother thing, and next to windsurfers and Hobies, they don't offer the adrenaline rush. But they feed the soul in a different way, and I still get off the water from the monohull feeling refreshed, but not with that total body worn out feeling a good windsurf sesh offers.

No problem keeping the windsurfers for satisfying that "need for speed"-I still have mine. And when it's blowing that borderline 10-12 knots, expect to be torn-("I could be shredding but I'm monohulling", or vice versa.")
Old 01-12-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Your going to get bored.... How about a larger multihull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx246 View Post
Sailing Background

I am 44 and live in NTexas. I have owned a Hobie 16 for 18yrs. It has been a fun boat and Ive used it on local lakes from 35-120k acres in size. I like its performance and it is a great daysail. I have made brackets and loaded tents and coolers and camped off the boat(week) on trips on Lake Amistad on the Tex/Mex border. Use of the Hobie dropped off 6yrs ago when I picked up windsurfing. Set up on a Hobie is 30-40min. Windsurfing gets me on the water in 10. I love the speed of both the Hobie and the board.

I am interested in a mono because of its ability to carry its passengers in comfort and its weekend/weeklong cruising capability. I need a trailerable 19-20ft and probably something fairly quick to set up.

During boat research I noticed hull speed numbers and have noticed people commenting on getting excited on hitting 9kts. I realize monos are not planing hulls but what is a reasonable speed for a 19-22ft trailerable? I hit 25 on the windsurfer and gpsd 18-20mph on the Hobie. Of course I am never dry and have to drink whatever I put in the drybag. Can anybody comment on boat speeds of this class. N.Texas has pretty good wind conditions. Lots of days 10-20mph. Rarely windless. Even in a 10mph wind the Hobie cruises 7-8mph.

Looking for a list of Pros and Cons from going Hobie to Mono from somebody that has been here before.

Thanks

Ofcourse, they are more $$$ and the set-up is not easy. Still, my last boat was a Stiletto 27 (1200 pounds) and we enjoyed the heck out of it for ~ 15 years. I had a beach cat before that for ~ 10 years.

There is some Stiletto stuff on my blog, and a link to the Stiletto site. Sail Delmarva: Stiletto Stuff

Top end is over 20 kn and in 15 knots you will average over 10 kn for sure. 2 people can cruise for weeks - we've done it!

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Monos point substantially higher than Hobies. However VMG is higher for Hobies and several other multis.

I looked for a while for a MacGregor 36. They are basically 36' long beach cats. You can weekend on them, they are under $20K if you can find one, and you can still fly a hull and beach them. However having a crew to help fly the hull is advised. You can still trailer them.

Try sailing on several different "big" boats. You can offer to crew for races or find a freindly person looking for crew in the local marina. Like Hobie sailors most sailors are glad to take people for a ride. You may find you really like sailing a mono. It is different, but still enjoyable.
________
Valcano vaporizer

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
The Mac 36 is a fast boat, but there are some drawbacks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
Monos point substantially higher than Hobies. However VMG is higher for Hobies and several other multis.

I looked for a while for a MacGregor 36. They are basically 36' long beach cats. You can weekend on them, they are under $20K if you can find one, and you can still fly a hull and beach them. However having a crew to help fly the hull is advised. You can still trailer them.

Try sailing on several different "big" boats. You can offer to crew for races or find a freindly person looking for crew in the local marina. Like Hobie sailors most sailors are glad to take people for a ride. You may find you really like sailing a mono. It is different, but still enjoyable.
No factory support. The Stiletto still has a remnant of the factory supplying parts.

Very tough set-up, by comparison.

Wet ride. No hard deck.

Easy to single-hand.

As for flying a hull... not on anything I can't right. Never let it more than inches out of the water. Extreme 40s do that, but they aren't paying the bills!

Though I like my new cat very much, the Stiletto was the most fun for the dollar I can imagine. Perhaps $12,000 for a pretty good one. They turn heads, lounging on the beach, and then catching anything on the water like it is dragging something.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-12-2010

Thanks to the replies so far.

I need something that is practical enough for a daysailing or I wont use it. I compare the possibility of a mono as a substitute for a popup. We camp at the lake fairly often and I would like to use a mono for that. Two hour set up at the ramp would be a killjoy. It doesnt have to sleep but two. I enjoy going to different lakes and exploring.

Here is a trip I did on my Hobie

THE FULL LAKE AMISTAD ADVENTURE REPORT - Catsailor.com Forums

THE FULL LAKE AMISTAD ADVENTURE REPORT - Catsailor.com Forums

The boat is a means to an end. I really would like to be able to get in shallow water even if it means pulling sails down and motoring in.

If the cabin will hold a couple of coolers and keep me dry if it is raining, that would be great. I would prefer a big cockpit.

Speed is relative. Ive been on a big lake and was impressed at the speeds some of the big sailboats seemed to be going. Going downwind was no contest as most of em pulled me (I was loaded with two and another 100lbs of gear).

As far as the Hunter, I have a bass boat for the water skiing/fishing but to be honest, I havent used it as much as I would like as the 150 2s drinks fuel in $100 bills.

I just purchased a new to me Hobie this fall to replace my boat who was feeling her age. If I get a mono, Ill probably have to sell it. I could keep my boards though