SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Reviews (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/)
-   -   Allied Seawind 30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/61492-allied-seawind-30-a.html)

cockerline123 01-23-2010 02:15 PM

Allied Seawind 30

I'm in the process of buying an allied seawind 30. Heres my one big question. 10,000 dollars for a rock solid boat with junk running and standing rigging, junk sails and an engine that is iffy. seller keeps assuring me its good however. Even in the worst case scenario is this a fair price for a reputable boat? Love to hear from some owners! Thanks in advance

sailingdog 01-23-2010 02:25 PM

The rigging is shot and so are the sails and the engine is questionable... and he wants you to pay $10,000 for it... is he nuts??? Have you priced re-powering the boat, and replacing all the rigging and the sails and then added that to the $10,000... it is way over priced IMHO.

Walk away.

cockerline123 01-23-2010 07:04 PM

Anyone know how to get in touch with Don Casey? I hear he is a Seawind guru amomg many other thngs. Hoping he is lurking around this site somewhere!

klem 01-23-2010 09:41 PM

It sounds like you haven't had a survey done. If not, have a marine surveyor take a look at the boat. They make their living by finding all the potential problems then providing you with a fair estimate of what the price should be.

MARC2012 01-24-2010 04:51 AM

If you goggle allied seawind you will find many facts.There is an allied site on yahoo for allied boats.Allied owners are very helpful & well informed.You are looking at a well built boat.All boats have issues.Best marc

Allanbc 01-24-2010 08:08 AM

Allied's are great boats. Have it surveyed by a good surveyor and negotiate the price accordingly. Look at other Seawinds that are for sail for a reality check on the price. Decide if you really want to spend $10 to $20K upgrading the boat.

Also, you don't specify what you intend to do with the boat.

I used to own an Allied Chance. It was a great boat and much of it was solid but not all of it. The boat was on a lake so it didn't have to be as seaworthy as a boat on the ocean. I sailed it for a number of years even though it had some issues. When I sold it, the new owner wanted to spend lots of money on it, restore it, and move it to the ocean. I don't know if he did or not.

cockerline123 01-24-2010 09:36 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. Yep, guilty as charged with the survey. Wasn't sure if it was worth it on a 10,000- boat but now I have come around. pretty sure if allieds had any typical problems you would find them on this boat so I thought I might get an idea what I was in for. I'm no stranger to project boats however, just trying to get the price right. It seems to be the only way to afford one. I'm just so smitten with these boats. Planning on cruising florida/bahamas. Thanks again!

sailingdog 01-24-2010 09:45 AM

Before hiring a surveyor, I'd highly recommend reading the Boat INspection Trip Tips thread I started a while back. It will at least let you get an idea of whether any boat you're looking at is worth getting survey on.

Allanbc 01-24-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 563112)
Before hiring a surveyor, I'd highly recommend reading the Boat INspection Trip Tips thread I started a while back. It will at least let you get an idea of whether any boat you're looking at is worth getting survey on.

Another good read is Don Casey's Inspecting the Aging Sailboat. You can buy that book or, better yet, just buy Don Casey's The Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual which contains six of his books in one big book.

Good luck

cockerline123 01-24-2010 11:13 AM

Yep read it cover to cover before looking this boat over. Very useful book!