Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010

Lendow is on a distinguished road
C+C Redwing 30 info please

Could anyone out there give me a bit of feedback on the offshore posibilities of the Redwing.30 . They look like the design was a a bit influenced by Alberg. I know they where designed by CC and built By Hinterholler. I sail a CC29MII and have sailed Sharks. I have a chance at a very low priced Redwing. Hull is in great shape decks need recoring. I am handy with repairs but do not want to wast time on this boat if it is not capable of an Atlantic crossing. I am willing to prepare the boat over the next 4 years as I have a great boat to sail right now. Any thoughts??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Pretty boats....

Pegasus6

I've always been nervous about the 'hockey stick' rudder, but it may be fine. Not so "Alberg"y, really, except for the wooden cockpit coamings.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-10-2010

COOL is on a distinguished road
I would agree it is a little Alberg-ish,
other than the keel and rudder configuration.
I would guess that design would be slow and
have a miserable motion in the type of seas
you would encounter crossing 'the Stream'.
Old 02-10-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I expect the boat is capable of an ocean crossing, but it would seem a poor choice when you are in effect starting from scratch. While it may get you there, the experience may be a lot less pleasant than otherwise.
Old 02-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While it might be capable of crossing an ocean, I wouldn't pick it as my first choice for doing so. It would require a lot of modification to be considered safe for an ocean crossing.

For instance, the cockpit doesn't have a proper bridgedeck and the cockpit drains are rather small for the volume of cockpit that the boat has.

Also, the unsupported rudder is probably not a great choice, especially given the age of the boat.

She's also got a very short waterline for a 30' boat... only 21' 9"—in fact, my 28' boat has a much longer waterline at 26' 4"... The Contessa 26, similar to Tania Aebi's Varuna has a 21' waterline... IMHO, long overhangs, while looking quite graceful, are a risk in heavy weather, since they give the seas a lever arm to push the boat around with...

Recoring the deck is a fairly massive undertaking, as it generally requires removing all of the deck hardware and re-bedding it all. It is a fairly expensive project, and you'd likely have to replace the standing rigging at the same time, as well as repair the compression post or bulkhead on the interior of the boat.

I'd point out that some boats with serious structural problems, and this boat qualifies as one, can have a negative value—in that the repairs to bring the boat to seaworthiness will cost more than the boat is worth. Given the serious deck problems, I would guess that there are other major issues with the boat that you don't know about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.