Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010

gemerson is on a distinguished road
Hunter 49

Melrna,
Great observations. Thank you for all the work you put into these reviews. Please note however that there is a large sail locker on the Hunter 49 just behind the anchor locker.

gemerson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2010
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Thank you gemerson for that clarification.
Ed got to sail the Benneteau 50 DS while I was back in NJ recovering from my surgery. Dang. He got into a big debate of the traveller-less system with the crew. It is an interesting concept of using the Vang in place of a traveler when going to windward. When one looks at the huge forces of the Vang on the backside of the fulcrum pivot point to hold the boom down, along with mid-sheet boom (vs end sheet boom) mainsail adjustment, I can see a few problems. Ed and I got into a very heated debate of twist, dumping the main and normal sail trim. We went to few of the sailboats in this Marnia to look at all the designs that are here. Great discussion and heated at times. My vote is still with a traveler.
I think we are going to sail the Jeanneau later this month. Cannot wait for that, I look forward to that. I love to sail OPB's.
I was on a Hunter 46 CC boat yesterday. They had the genset on the floor of the salon As I thought it was loud when it ran. It was a Koller not a Fisher/Panda so that will have to be considered. One thing about getting to sail on OPB's that are bigger and nicer, for me when I get back to my boat to live on, well what can a girl say, Dreaming once again. Got to hit that lottery one of these days.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 03-05-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMassey View Post
Ms. Renee,
Congratulations on making a real effort to summarize your feelings regarding the Catalina 445, Hunter 49, Beneteau 50 and Jeanneau 50DS. You are obviously a sailing enthusiast and as you stated you are an ordinary sailor, not an industry expert. Any time more than one sailor expresses an opinion regarding a particular sailboat there will be someone else who disagrees. The most important thing is that you own a sailboat and use it regularly. Your opinions are just that, yours, no problem there. However, while you made some good points you missed many important points. More importantly when reviewing a boat it is essential that you understand what the designer/engineer/architect was thinking about and what goals they were striving to achieve. Also one can not really understand a boat without a thorough knowledge of boat construction and it's various levels of quality. I personally disagree with many of your comments, opinions and assumptions, but not with your effort. The danger here is that you are not really qualified to judge these boats and your comments can be misleading and harmful to others. This is particularly true given the reach of the internet. If you would like to get past the "skin" of these boat lines and really understand them I suggest you organize factory tours of each builder. I will be happy to assist setting up tours of the Catalina and Hunter plants. Regards, Ed Massey-Massey Yacht Sales & Service
That crazy woman boat driver understands boat construction and quality, also engineering and design. Her opinion is much more valued here than some random boat broker. Keep that in mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 03-06-2010

Great review, I always look forward to your reviews Melissa. I did do the Hunter factory tour, it was given by Greg Emerson. It gave me a lot of confidence in the way they are built, even though I disagree with the interior finish (no more teak veneer) and the iron keels (that switch was made soon before my tour) I could have spent all day in there if they and my wife would have let me

The tour alone made me seriously consider a new one, but budget constraints won out and I bought a project, one that I will be putting the monthly equivalent of new boat payments into it for probably 3 years :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eMKay; 03-06-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2010

Hunter generator

Melrna,
Hunter uses the Fischer Panda on their 49. It is also below the floor. This is to reduce weight aloft. One of the design aspects of the Hunter's today is to reduce weight aloft where possible to create a more vertical or comfortable sail. The Fischer Panda is much quieter than the Kohler and is inside a sound proof box. I sailed a Hunter 45DS last summer in the Caribbean for eight days and we ran the generator, a Fischer Panda, for twelve to thirteen hours each evening and night so we could run the A/C and we were very comfortable with it. A friend of mine sailed a Hunter 49 from St. Augustine, FL to Newport, RI and said the generator was quieter than any other boat he had sailed with a gen set. That said, I have been on some boats with Kohler generators that seemed quiet. Probably has a lot to do on any generator with how well the compartment they are in has been sound proofed.

gs
Old 03-06-2010

Hey Greg, welcome to the site.

Old 03-06-2010

Thanks

eMKay,
Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy this board as it is very informative. I have found that I am never too old to learn something. I will input when I can. Unfortunately due to my travels my input will be limited but looking forward to when I can.

Melrna.....e-mail me when you get a chance. You have my card. I want to give you some feedback on some of the suggestions you made to me in Miami.

Fair Winds
Old 03-06-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
.. It is an interesting concept of using the Vang in place of a traveler when going to windward. When one looks at the huge forces of the Vang on the backside of the fulcrum pivot point to hold the boom down, along with mid-sheet boom (vs end sheet boom) mainsail adjustment, I can see a few problems. ... We went to few of the sailboats in this Marnia to look at all the designs that are here. Great discussion and heated at times. My vote is still with a traveler.
Melrna,

Even with a traveler, when going windward, I tighten the boom vang.

About the several designs, I would like to point out that some manufacturers have the boom control on top of an arch without or with a small traveler (Malo, Tartan) while others use the control on the traditional place for a cruiser (front), with or without traveler. It seems that there are two different discussions here, regarding cruising boats:

1- The best location of the boom control line.

2- The best or the more practical system to control the boom: To use a traveler or to use a system that makes the traveler almost redundant and it's easier to work with.

I have not sufficient information for having a valid opinion, but it seems to me, that regarding the location, you have a better control and have to make less force if the control line is perpendicular with the end of the boom and that is what happens when you have it on the top of an arch. That location offers another advantage: It is not only on the perpendicular, but also the vertical distance is a lot less, if we compare with the traditional location.

It seems to me that Beneteau technicians seem to think that the advantages of the location are more important than the disadvantages of not having a traveler.

The preliminary drawings of the Tartan 43 appeared with a system similar to the one mounted in an arch (it was mounted on the house top). They now offer the boat that way or with a conventional location, but it seems to me that the preferences of the boat Architect went to the solution that was presented in the first drawings (it has also a small traveler on the top of house).

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-06-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2010

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Hey Greg-
You might want to put your affiliation with hunter in your email Signature.
Like eMkay, I could have spent the day with you at the factory and like eMkay My wife and daughter would have killed me.

Dave
2007 Hunter 49
Old 03-06-2010
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Melissa,

Thank you for your report; you have some very astute observations.

We continue to be delighted with our H49, and how comfortable she is to sail.

We are currently in Puerto Vallarta replenishing before continuing south via the Galapagos to spend the next year or so exploring the west coast of South America and the Antarctic Peninsula, before heading north again.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje