Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
To the latter comment, think folding prop. I am happy with mine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2010

mmazour is on a distinguished road
I failed to note that the S2 7.3 had an OMC saildrive.
Old 03-17-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
A folding prop will greatly improve the performance of an inboard powered boat, but they're very expensive, and it's an expense that won't be recaptured when you sell an older boat.

I'm not sure, but believe an S2 with saildrive would most likely have come from the factory with a folding prop. They might have been optional, but would have been a very popular option on an S2, which were marketed as racer/cruisers.

The choice remains the same. How much are you willing to spend, in terms of boat performance or in terms of dollars, to have a swim platform. You might be better off to increase the amount that you're willing to spend on the boat, and look for a newer model that already has either a swim platform or a folding prop.

Generally, it's expensive to modify a used boat. You're usually much better off to buy a boat that is already equipped the way you want, and is better suited to your needs. You'll usually get a better boat, for less total cost, that you'll enjoy more.
Old 03-19-2010
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmazour View Post
Indigo - Where did you find that recommendation? Not that I doubt you, I'd like to add it to my research documentation.

Jim - My primary reason for the inboard diesel is that we like to play in the water and I plan on installing a swim platform off the back, http://www.islandpacketphotos.com/pi.../Ad_854_8.jpg.
Sure, I don't mind you asking.

It's not a recommendation. The manufacturer's intentions have been gleaned from the brochures and reviews that indicate wings were the successsor to non-winged shoal draft options and the tall rigs were for light-air regions (or for sailors who want more sail up). The sailing characteristics I've gleaned anecdotally from various sources including this sailing board, other sailing boards, industry publications, etc.
Old 06-03-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I am late to this discussion, I am sorry. But I own and sail a Catalina 27 Standard rig with a fin keel (4'). Mine is an outboard model with a custom bracket for my 9.9 Honda 4 stroke. I sail on the Chesapeake Bay, known for its light air and shallow water. But the standard rig and fin keel does just fine. I like my boat and except for those days with no wind, she gets along just fine. I do a fair amount of single/short handed sailing and I can manage her just fine. If I were in th market for another 27' boat, I would get the same boat again.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/62938-catalina-c27-tall-vs-std-rig-fin-vs-wing-keel.html
Posted By For Type Date
Catalina C27 This thread Refback 05-31-2013 06:27 AM