Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010
Rum Swigger

RumPirate is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake 32

Anyone had any experience or can give a review in depth or otherwise?

I have the opportunity to get one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2010

amarinesurveyor is on a distinguished road
I had a friend that owned one and he and another friend sailed it trans-Atlantic one spring. They said the boat did great. They are a great looking Rhodes design with full keel and very thick glass hulls. You may be getting into a project since the boats are 40+ years old, but it would probably be worth it.
Brian
Old 03-22-2010
Rum Swigger

She is a 1963 model, with a fibreglass hull.

What are the 'usual' problems with them?
Old 03-22-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Probably the same as any older fiberglass boat. Wet core (if deck is cored), deck leaks from chainplates and/or deck fittings, electrical out of date and in need of upgrading, plumbing ditto, sails ditto, seacocks may need maintenance or replacing. The rigging may be very old and need replacing. A good fiberglass hull will last almost forever but everything attached to it wears out eventually.
Old 03-23-2010

Look at everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
A good fiberglass hull will last almost forever but everything attached to it wears out eventually.
Very true! You really have to look at everything in a boat that age, there's no single item to focus on.
Brian
Old 03-23-2010
Rum Swigger

But certain boats are known to be prone to particular problems, eg delaminating decks, poorly attached keels (?!?), rudder issues etc.

I wondered what are the major issues that Chesapeake 32's are generally prone.
Old 03-23-2010

I don't like to generalize. Even though a boat is a so-called production boat, different boats off the line are often made by different people, on different days of the week, and in different weather conditions. I don't know of any common problems in the Chesapeake 32, but there are many common problems in boats of that age, as mitiempo has said.
Brian
Old 03-23-2010
Rum Swigger

Wow, I found this info on this site using Google dated 23 June 2001, yes 2001.

I have highlighted the (quite a lot) bits important to me.

Quote:
JeffH

Rhodes Chesapeake 32
These are nice boats. They are slightly less beefy and slightly less commodious than their near sisters, the Pearson Vanguards which were also 32 foot Rhodes designs of the era.

If I remember correctly the Chesapeakes were imported by Henry Walton of Annapolis, Maryland and were beautifully finished with mahogany trim and nice stainless steel and chrome plated cast brnze details. (Walton''s son still lives in Annapolis)

These boats sail well for a boat from that era and seem to be well behaved in a breeze.
That said, by today''s standards these boats were painfully slow and quite wet.
The have a short waterline by any objective standard and so (if they behave like the Vanguard which my family owned for quite a few years) they are not too great in a chop.
They are also next to useless in light air.

I am not terribly fond of the sail plan on these CCA era rule beater boats.
Boats of this era were designed with comparatively small and low aspect ratio mainsails and counted on the use of very large genoas in winds up to the high teens.
As a result they are a lot of work to sail well.
The wide single spreaders, the wide shroud base and longish keel keep them from pointing as well as more modern designs.

These boats were typically sailed with large heel angles at speed which made working below a little difficult and uncomfortable.
It also made it pretty wet in the cockpit in a seaway.
They do have a slower motion than the early fin keel spade rudder boats that followed them but they also roll through wider roll angles.

The longish keel (which is not really a full keel as classically defined) had a cut away forefoot and a raked rudder post that was pretty far forward in the boat.
In their day, these were considered to be more like a long fin keel with an attached rudder than a full keel.
The cutaways reduced wetted surface and increased speed a bit but it also meant that they do not really track like a full keel nor do they have the light helms of spade rudder boats. The general proportions of the rig, the large heel angles and the rudder attached to the keel resulted in a lot of weather helm in a breeze which really wears you down on a long leg and causes the autopilot to use a lot more amps than a boat with a lighter helm.

Of course then there is the usual old boat concerns.
You need to have this boat throughly surveyed by a really competent certified Marine Surveyor.
Boats of this era can have a mix of problems including standing and running rigging that is well past its useful lifespan, deck rot and structural bulkhead separation, fiberglass fatique at high stress areas, rudders and rudder posts that well in excess of thier useful lifespan, tired sails, deck hardware that is underpowered and undersized (by modern standards) and imposible to find parts for, dangerous hardware like reel winches and roller furling booms, engines in need of rebuild or replacement, upholstery that has lost its give, instruments, plumbing, electrical systems that are obsolete and past their safe lifespans, aesthetic issues and so on. While none of these problems may be present on the specific boat that you are considering, even a combination of a few of these items can quickly add up to far more than these boats are worth in perfect condition.

To me boats like the Chesapeake 32 are wonderful to look at.

Sailing them evokes an aesthetic of a different era.

They were simple boats that offer a type of experience that that is different than more modern designs.

If that "come with me now to yesteryear" character appeals to you then the Chesapeake 32 was one of the better boats of that length and time frame.

Good luck
Jeff