SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Reviews (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/)
-   -   Gozzard 31 vs Pacific Seacraft 31? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/64103-gozzard-31-vs-pacific-seacraft-31-a.html)

jbarros 04-22-2010 02:44 PM

Gozzard 31 vs Pacific Seacraft 31?

Hi,

I crew for a friend on a Gozzard 31, and it's a lot of fun. The cutter rig keeps upwind channel work "interesting", and it's not the best light air boat in the world, but she's stout, and I really like the open interior.

The Pacific Seacraft has a very similar interior, and I know the brand is also known as a blue-water friendly boat, which I presume in this case also means a little slow, stout, etc.

The Gozzard's got 2 feet at the waterline (26 vs 24) but is also significantly wider (11 vs 9 ft) but according to their websites, carries almost twice as much sail area, which seems hard to believe, so I'm not sure what to make of all this.

I was wondering how the two compare, either by the numbers, or possibly by anyone who's sailed both? I know Gozzards aren't the most popular boat out there, so I don't expect a lot of crossover experience, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

-- James.

mitiempo 04-22-2010 11:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the numbers comparison. There is just over a foot more beam to the Gozzard. I prefer the honesty of the Pacific Seacraft to the trailboards and clipper bow loomk of the Gozzard but each to their own. Here's a link to a review of the Pacific Seacraft. Pacific Seacraft 31 Review : Bluewaterboats.org

jbarros 04-23-2010 12:42 AM

Thanks. :)

I'm not too familiar with the numbers game, but I presume that, at least from a cruising standpoint, there's not that great a difference, and where there is, the performance nod actually goes to the Gozzard? (I didn't know they MADE boats slower than that lovely beast I get to take out from time to time.)

I like the Gozzard with all it's pomp and circumstance. (not to mention that I actually have access to one for sailing ;) ) That being said, some things, like it's huge cockpit scare me in terms of going off shore. I was somewhat expecting that the PS would also be a drastically faster boat, as the Gozzard is, well, somewhat slow. Then again, most of the other boats I've spent any time on have been benehuntalinas and I suppose when you go from the really light set (mostly older and skinnier) to these more heavily laid up boats with more beam and a greater emphasis on cruising comfort.

Thanks for the info.

-- James

mitiempo 04-23-2010 01:03 AM

It depends what you're intended use is. If offshore cruising is part of the plan the Pacific Seacraft would be a better choice I think. The numbers don't always tell the tale. I think the leaner Pacific Seacraft with less wetted surface and a more efficient keel makes for a better sailor. Narrow boats would be my preference over wider boats in this type of boat. And I admit to being a fan of the late Bill Crealock. I don't think he ever designed a slow boat or a bad looking boat. No gingerbread, just function and beauty.

jbarros 04-23-2010 01:08 AM

Also, I was just thinking, with a theoretical hull speed of 6.83 knots, we often saw an indicated speed of 8+ kts. Now, presuming the knotmeter was a little "optimistic", and call it 7, that's still not that bad. Perhaps these cruising boats just "feel" slow, as I'm not bashing my brains out.

For whatever it's worth, I've been admiring the PS31 for some time, and it wasn't until yesterday that I realized that it had numbers similar enough to a boat I actually spend some time on that I thought I'd ask about it. For the moment, I sail other peoples boats, which means I'm not picky, but I save and I dream ;)

Thanks again. :)

- James

JohnRPollard 04-23-2010 08:26 AM

James,

I'm pretty sure those sail area specs for the Gozzard include the staysail, whereas I know for a fact that the number for the PS 31 does not. So I don't think the SA/D figures above are really accurate, at least not for comparison purposes (apples to oranges).

I think you would find the Gozzard felt quite a bit larger below decks. That extra 1'+ beam makes a big difference in hull volume.

Then again, the extra hull volume usually comes with a performance penalty. I expect that the Gozzard uses it's staysail routinely, whereas we don't really need ours for the most part to keep the boat moving nicely.

ehmanta 04-23-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 596463)
And I admit to being a fan of the late Bill Crealock. I don't think he ever designed a slow boat or a bad looking boat.

How about the Westsail 32???? If that's not a slow boat then I need to re-define my parameters:) I do agree that he does(did) design a beautiful boat....I'm partial to the Crealock P.S. 40 myself.

JohnRPollard 04-23-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehmanta (Post 596540)
How about the Westsail 32???? If that's not a slow boat then I need to re-define my parameters:) I do agree that he does(did) design a beautiful boat....I'm partial to the Crealock P.S. 40 myself.

He didn't design the Westsail 32. It was a William Atkin design (Thistle) from the early 1900s that he adapted for fibreglass production, at the request of a builder.;)

P.S. You can see Thistle here, along with it's sistership, Eric. Both of which were adaptations by Atkin of earlier Colin Archer designs. At that link, go to the category: "SAILBOATS & AUXILIARIES 30' AND OVER"

jbarros 04-23-2010 10:02 AM

John, thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I couldn't imagine the sail area being that different on the two.

Also, I'm not sure if this should be a new thread, but...

I understand how a staysail could be really beneficial on long offshore passages. An extra knot or two over a few weeks journey, another way to balance the boat with less sail area up, if you want to drop the genoa, etc etc etc, but I know from experience what a pain tacking a cutter rig is.

I believe that the PS 31 comes in either cutter or sloop rig. I've heard of boats that have a "removable"? staysail, which is to say that the staysail stay unclips from a point on the foredeck and attaches somewhere out of the way for near coastal and channel work, effectively leaving you with an easy to tack sloop. Do many boats do this? Does it work without doing horrible things to the structural integrity of mast and deck? Other advantages and disadvantages of this type of design?

Thanks. :)

-- James

ehmanta 04-23-2010 10:28 AM

John,
Are you sure about the heritage of the Westsail?
See link:
Westsail 32 Review : Bluewaterboats.org
The Westsail is influenced by Thistle