Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 30 vs. Hunter 30

I'm still a newbie, but I've heard that the Catalina is better for offshore sailing, a bit of a stiffer boat.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2012

Xx Darkwing xX is on a distinguished road

I am wondering what exactly defines an offshore boat from a day sailer? Is it size, hull material, storage, amenities? Just curious.
Old 03-24-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I think you mean off shore or blue water boat vs coastal cruiser. A day sailer is just that, meant for day sailing, not over-nighting, so obviously you're not going far in it.
blue water boats vs coastal cruisers...blue water boats are meant to take pretty rough weather, because when you are out in the middle of the ocean, there's no place to hide when the weather turns really snotty.
Coastal cruisers just aren't built to the standards of a blue water boat.

Both the Hunter and Catalina 30's are considered coastal cruisers, and not meant to cross oceans.
They aren't day sailers as they are built for several people to spend days or even weeks aboard.
They are even used for full time live-aboards.

Last edited by chuck53; 03-24-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2012

Exactly right I did mean off shore. Sorry for the wrong word. Is there more difference than heavy weather?
Old 03-24-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert...I'm sure others will chime in with better info.
coastal cruisers usually put more emphasis on room and comfort, not that a blue water boat doesn't. Blue water boats are built beefier to handle rough weather and are often a little less beamy which cuts into interior space.
Beefier means better and stronger rigging and sails. A more heavily built hull usually with a higher percentage of keel weight to better right itself after a knock down.
A true blue water boat will cost way more than a comparably sized coastal boat.
Old 03-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I have a friend with a Hunter 38 and a cousin with a Catalina 42 and have sailed both boats. They are within 5% to 10% of each other in all significant dimensions so they make a pretty fair comparison.

I find the build quality to be on par. The Hunter has more "ergonomic imagination" in its detailing - it is more contemporary in most design areas. It has an eccentric rig - no backstays, highly swept shrouds that interfere with downwind sailing, very fractional rig, roller furling on both sails, really likes a reach - lousy DDW. Can pound quite badly - have had to tack when under power to control slamming
The Cat is more traditional in design - less innovative. Normal masthead rig with jib furling and full batten main. Mainsheet is more accessible than the Hunters which is on top of the "roll bar". Fewer thoughtful touches generally. Haven't sailed it in high wind and seas so can't compare its ride etc.

I actually prefer the Cat - I like its more old fashioned looks with raked stem better but really its "horses for courses" - choose the one that strikes your fancy because neither is "better" than the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-01-2012

Thx SloopJonB. Much appreciated. Any idea if keel stepped masts are better than deck stepped? Are steel hulks better than fiberglass hulls? Remedial question but it is hard to narrow down boat types without really having a vast sailing bkgd. If this were aircraft I could offer much to the forum but for now I'm a sponge who hopes to give backin the future! Thx for the help.
Old 04-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Darkwing xX View Post
Thx SloopJonB. Much appreciated. Any idea if keel stepped masts are better than deck stepped?
I think it is generally viewed that keel stepped is better or stronger on big boats - say 30' and up. Below that I don't personally think it matters much since the stresses are not really significant.

Quote:
Are steel hulks better than fiberglass hulls?
That could be construed as a Freudian slip by some. Steel has it for ultimate strength but for most people, the way most people sail, glass is hands down the best choice. Maintenance is less critical - glass can withstand neglect far better than steel.

There are very good reasons why the vast majority of recreational boats are fiberglass.
Xx Darkwing xX likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-01-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Darkwing xX View Post
Thx SloopJonB. Much appreciated. Any idea if keel stepped masts are better than deck stepped? Are steel hulks better than fiberglass hulls? Remedial question but it is hard to narrow down boat types without really having a vast sailing bkgd. If this were aircraft I could offer much to the forum but for now I'm a sponge who hopes to give backin the future! Thx for the help.
Keel stepped masts can offer some structural/sailshape advantages but tend to let rainwater into the boat despite best efforts to prevent it. A deck stepped mast is drier but many deck stepped boats suffer problems in the supporting structure required to support the high compression loads of the rigs. (Decks can 'crush', wooden compression posts can have issues, etc) But keel stepped boats can have step issues too.

With any properly engineered boat in good condition neither of these set ups should be an issue, however.

Steel hulks are to be avoided... - but there are some very good steel hulled boats, though the real good ones come at a premium. The bad ones are usually a maintenance headache but they can be easily repaired anywhere in the world.. and can be massively strong. Also many steel boats are likely home built with all the issues (good and bad) that can go with that. There are very few mainstream builders using steel, it doesn't lend itself to 'production lines'.

It can be bewildering.. but read lots, read the forums and you'll soon get a good picture of what's out there, and no shortage of opinions!!

Good luck and welcome to the forum

EDIT: oops... cross posted with JonB.... sorry.
Xx Darkwing xX likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-01-2012

Nice catch toyou both on the hulk vs hull. Dang auto spelling got me on that one. Can't thank you both enough or the good info!