Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Ericson 35 Mk 2 want info

Two questions:

1. What experiences and opinions do you have about the Ericson 35 Mk II?

2. What are good values and what other boats might be suitable extended coastal cruisers in to $20 000 - $40 000 range (counting both purchase and urgent repairs or upgrades)? Good construction, sea kindliness, and good performance in different winds would be nice.

My wife and I have been looking at a 1976 Ericson 35 Mk II (diesel) that's for sale.

Info from the Ericson owner's site (there doesn't seem to be a specific Ericson 35 or 35 Mk2 site/owner group) and various reviews gives me the idea that this boat could be a good fit for us.

We're looking for a boat for the two of us (occasionally one or two guests or short-term cruising or race crew) to do day sails, weekend to week-long cruises, and the once-a-year "extended coastal cruise"; i.e. several weeks in and out of marinas and anchorages within 50 miles of shore. Maybe we'd try the Inside Passage and Baja Haha or beyond. We've raced and cruised smaller boats mostly on lakes, with occasional coastal charters. We don't really tolerate boats that are too slow or "piggy-ish". We might use the boat as a stepping-stone to a bigger cruiser many years down the road if the lifestyle takes to us.

Reviewers have noted gate valves for water inlets, the 3/4 inch shaft, ternplate steel fuel tank, and some possible deck hardware bedding issues and mild blistering. The boat also needs to be reefed before winds build up. The Ericson is said to move fairly well in lighter airs. It doesn't have as much interior volume as some newer "marina queen" boat designs.

The boat we're looking at has some rust on the rudder, a flimsy / poorly bedded bow pulpit, a tiny anchor roller and smallish anchor, and no opening ports. V berth forward with head to port, salon with dinette port and settee stbd, galley stbd, chart table port, port quarter-berth, divided cockpit with (end-boom sheeted main) traveler just forward of wheel with brake and autohelm. Sails may be a little tired, especially the furler genoa.

On the plus side, this particular boat has been re-powered with a three-cylinder Yanmar that has very few hours since its rebuild, and has a new head and lots of gear on board.

Basic numbers: 34'8 loa, 27'10" lwl, 10'0" beam, 4'11" draft, 48' bridge clearance/air draft, 11 600 lbs. displacement, 5 000 lbs ballast (43%, fin),
More numbers: 6'2" salon head room, 16.4-16.7 SA/D, 533 sq ft upwind sails (301 main, 232.7 jib), appr. 150 PHRF, 84.8 Portsmouth, 1.77 capsize screen factor, guessing about 21.5 CSV, maybe around 144 deg AVS, 43.0 I (main hoist), 14.0 J, 35.67 P, 13.0 E, 500 boats built.

So, (1) Whatdaya think of the Ericson 35 mkII and (2) other boats?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I presume you are also asking your questions over at the Ericson owners' site, too. There are a lot of E-35-2 owners there, from liveaboards to cruisers to single-hand offshore racers.
EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!.

Whenever one sees a list of modern "classic" sailboats, this design is on it, and often at the top.

Regards,
L
Old 08-16-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
Yep, I've explored the site. The basic site is incomplete, but the meat of it is in its forums, which have some good info even though teasing out 35 Mk II stuff can be a bit of work. Maybe this is naive, but with 500 or so Mk IIs built over more than a decade, it would be nice to think there would be enough people to have a group for the 35. But if I get the boat I know better than to complain!
Old 08-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You could also ask at SailboatOwners.com in the Ericson forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-16-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
i own one. i love her. i have 2 boats--i plan on sailing very far and forever, so my ericson with smallish tankage and fuel--is too small--i have a formosa 41 i am sailing out of sin diego for my adventure series....the ericson is a very very cool boat--the blisters are irrelevant. surface only. no big deal. the interior--there were 2 different ones--one with a lot of molded plastic and one with vinyl and wood. which is it you are looking at?
i know the boat will do 8 kts under jib alone in 15 kt breezes.
i know the boat will sail in light airs from marriott dock in sin diego bay to the shelter island boat yard ways in under 1 hour , including tacking thru the back end of the commercial basin(now ac harbor)....about 5 miles.
i have pivoted her on her own keel in her own length. that is fun.
in casual sailing, in light airs, the boat blows the doors off catalinas and cals and columbias. is fun to do that.
they are comfortable and take seas well. if i werent broke and if i werent on limited income already, i would have made her into my cruising boat.
i got this heavy displacement cruiser for less than it would have taken to fix up my ericson--but i forgot about the crummy market ...so i have 2 boats...for now...... they are very good boats. try to get it at 20k or 30k . mine has a 2 cyl yanmar. is adequate--the 3 cyl is perfect for her for cruising.awesome--you will love her. if you have specific questions, please ask me--i will answer you. i have owned mine for 6 yrs now.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 08-19-2010
Water Lover

Thanks! The one we're looking at is a 1976 and it has a fair amount of wood down below and wood handrails on the cabintop on deck.
Old 08-19-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Thanks! The one we're looking at is a 1976 and it has a fair amount of wood down below and wood handrails on the cabintop on deck.
the wood and vinyl interior is the sweet one...has more personality than the molded interior...1973 was a molded interior--a neighbor has that model...i like mine with the soft and wood--feels nice inside...cozy....they all sail well and fast..

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 08-09-2011

DaveandMary is on a distinguished road
Smile Ericson 35 2

We own a 1974 Ericson 35 2 (since mid June, 2011). It's a charming, roomy boat that sails very well. It does heel quite easily but will not capsize we are told. If it does capsize, it will round up supposedly. Has anyone heard stories of capsizing?

So far, the boat has been great. Best wishes in your potential Ericson purchase.
Old 08-31-2011

exoduse35 is on a distinguished road
I too own a E35-2 and love the boat. It is fast (very fast) handles like a dream is very forgiving and strong. I am planning to set it on a westbound journey next year and am completely confident that it will circumnavigate as well as anything. It is as strongly built as many of what currently pass as "offshore" vessels. It's "coastal" designation is for tankage not construction. A good water maker (not available in the early '70s) remedies the water issue and if you plan to sail the fuel issue is not a big deal either. You can certainly find one that has not been well maintained and be disappointed, but if you find a good one you cannot go wrong!
Old 09-01-2011
Water Lover

Thanks for your info so far!

Just a heads-up to let you know that I'm still paying attention and that an Ericson 35 mk II is still potentially available in my neighborhood. The weirdness in this case is that the boat is on a cradle on dry land far from the water and it would be a big hassle to get it there. That makes it harder to self-survey (and no surveyors live nearby) and determine what might be wrong and how to price the boat.

Again, thanks, all!

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-reviews/67344-ericson-35-mk-2-want-info.html
Posted By For Type Date
Ericson 35 Mk 2 want info - sailing answers This thread Refback 11-27-2013 07:52 PM
Ericson 35 Mk 2 want info - SailNet Community This thread Refback 08-15-2010 02:34 AM