Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010

BigBoatHack is on a distinguished road
Looking for 30-34' Club+ Racing Boat

Am looking for something for some casual PHRF racing. Most likely to be beer can but could include the occasional 30-60 mile race (and maybe longer). I'm east coast based so we're predominately light air (especially the evening racing). Boat should be easy to sail not some tortured IOR remnant. I don't require much of an interior. IB or OB okay. My budget could be as high as $35k for the right boat but am aiming for more like $20k.

My ideal boat is light, easily driven and can be sailed by myself, one or two adults and a couple of juniors. Have been looking at the Evelyn 32s, Olson 29s and 30s and at the upper end of the price range, the Bravura 32. With the exception of the B32, I'm looking at PHRF 95 to 115 or so. The other common feature of these boats is they're relatively fast and the loads (I presume) are relatively light (at least versus something like a Frers 33). Other thoughts include the SR-33, Soverel 33, Tripp 33, and J33 but these boat are getting heavier and presumably more heavily loaded.

Any other boats I should be thinking about? Dash 34? Hobie 33? Other? Any specific thoughts on the Olson 29 versus the 30?
Thanks.

Last edited by BigBoatHack; 08-21-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The O'Day 302 might be a good choice as well. Sailed on one earlier this season and it is a pretty nice boat. Aft cabin as well as a v-berth, aft head/shower, fairly good access to the in-board diesel engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-21-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Light air... you want an Olson 30... it's a phrf killer. It will be cheaper to run than any 33-34 footer as well. Find one for 12-15k, buy some new sails, and you should do very very well.
Old 08-21-2010

BigBoatHack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Light air... you want an Olson 30... it's a phrf killer. It will be cheaper to run than any 33-34 footer as well. Find one for 12-15k, buy some new sails, and you should do very very well.
More confirmation. I'm hearing this a lot. Got any opinions on the 29 versus the 30? I like the concept of the 29 (larger main/smaller jib) but have heard some concerns expressed about the 29 wanting to go bow down given that the rig is further forward.

Edit: Hopefully I'll figure out how to get rid of the automatic hyperlinking. Though if someone could help me speed up the process, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by BigBoatHack; 08-21-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2010

Honestly, I don't know... I love the foils on the 29, but don't know if the rig really does much for the boat. There are a couple of O29 owners who post over on Sailing Anarchy. You might want to ask them. Not many 29's around either... Off the cuff, I'd think that the larger headsail would be great for light air. If I remember correctly, the spinnakers are the same size as the 30. In the end, even if all things were equal, I think you'd have better luck finding a good dry sailed 30.

Soverel 33 is great in light air, but again, it's going to cost considerably more to run that the O-30.
Old 08-22-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
In that price range and with your requirements I'd put the J-29 on the list.
Old 08-22-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I like the Evelyn and Olson suggestions. I've raced a fair bit on the E32, it is lightly built and fast (especially downwind!). Not much below accommodation wise (not standing headroom, for instance). We also raced against an O29 for many years and they always did very well.

Soem of the other J-boats would be on my list, too. J-29 and J-30 for instance, and I'd even consider the J-27. The J-29 has several permutations (inboard/outboard, masthead/fractional) so I'd study that one a bit before choosing which variant. Remember, if you can keep the size down, the cost of new sails will be much more reasonable.

I might even look at some of the earlier decimeter series J-boats, like the J-92 or J-80. I haven't priced them lately, but they may be within reach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoatHack View Post
Edit: Hopefully I'll figure out how to get rid of the automatic hyperlinking. Though if someone could help me speed up the process, I'd appreciate it.
No way to turn it off individually. It's something the site owners have in place so we just have to live with it.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-22-2010

If one were to do a J-29 for light air, go masthead/outboard. J-30? Kind of sticky in the light stuff. J-100's go very well with little breeze, but you could buy 4 or so O-30's for the price of one.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 08-22-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The O'Day 302 might be a good choice as well. Sailed on one earlier this season and it is a pretty nice boat. Aft cabin as well as a v-berth, aft head/shower, fairly good access to the in-board diesel engine.
At 168, I think the OP wants to go faster.
Old 08-22-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Any particular reason for a PHRF 95-115 rating? Why not look at a boat that sails well or better than it's PHRF rating instead of a specific number.

You might want to consider a Pearson 10M. PHRF at 135/141, under 20K, club racer. Great/Solid boat. 33' LOA, 11' Beam, but LWL is 29". Boat Displaces 13K pounds, but it is quick. I routinely beat "faster" boats with it. Yesterday I passed and out ran a Sabre 362 and a C&C 35-3, both of which have a much better PHRF rating in lease than 2 NM. Winds were 10-13 kt apparent. Point-of-sail was almost close-hauled.

DrB

Last edited by DrB; 08-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.