Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010

TRSwim is on a distinguished road
42' C & C Landfall 1976 thoughts

I need some humble advice; but let me give you all a background so you know where the questions are coming from I am 1600 ton captain, unlimited tonnage chiefmate gmdss radar etc etc.

I have sailed some hunter's irwins and thinking about my first cruiser. I am looking at a 1976 42' C & C Landfall. interior stinks but we all know that does'nt matter. I was feeling around her hull and bildge no soft spots paint looks imaculate. Thru hulls look good. all rigging is new stainless. all deck gear in good working order. Not an ounce of rust or rot anywhere even the little wood work on her is maintained well. She seems like she was built tough but being pretty ignorant on C & C's i need some help.

First question anyone sail C&C landfall 42 how do they handel the high stuff how do they ride any known structural defects. I am thinking of taking her straight through the med and northern eroupe. what are those nuances I need to know about. I am talking the nitty grittyif you have ever owned a C & C let me know your thoughts.

Second question what should I pay i have an idea in mind based on the offer I think he is a little high but in this market you can make your own deals.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2010

satterwhited is on a distinguished road
Landfall 42

Personally I haven't had any sailing experience with a Landfall 42. I have however been aboard one, and currently own a C&C Landfall 39. The 42 appears to be well built. I have mixed feelings about my 39. I purchased her five years ago from a sailor who loaded it for world cruising and never made it further then Cabo. Becasue of this, it smells like West Marine inside! Very comfortable, every amenity. Tons of room. The boat seems to be well built. I haven't had any major problems. I have been cruising the coast of California on and off since owning her so I haven't seen anything to bad, weather wise. She handles well in heavy wind. the heaviest wind I've sailed with her is 30 knot winds with 35 knot gusts. Her sea motion is fair. Center cockpit is very dry. when others have their foul weather gear on, I'm normally quite dry and comfortable. As with any Center Cockpit boat you feel the heel of the boat much more then and aft cockpit boat due to your height above the water. My only real gripe about the boat is her boxiness and high free board. She doesn't point very high due to this. However, I think this a problem with the 39 only. The 42' is a little more sleeker. I hope this helps. There is and excellent website for C&C's. Just do a search for CNC Yachts.
Old 09-26-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Slightly different size Landfall model, but construction and engineering, both good and bad, might be similar.
Note that Wally did a lot of upgrades and repairs. He is off cruising now but is (so far) keeping his huge project web site up and running.
C&C Landfall 38 - Stella Blue

C&C built above-average boats back in the day.

Regards,
L
Old 10-09-2010

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
This C&C has balsa core fron the gunnels to within about 18" of the keel. It is absolutely critical that the boat be out of the water for 48hrs before survey and that every inch of the bottom be inspected moisture metered and sounded by a qualified surveyor. I have surveryed a dozen larger C&C's of this vintage over the couple of years and only one did not require massive re-coring.