Join Date: Sep 2010
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
again, all excellent responses and the sharing of your knowledge is greatly appreciated. I'm kind-of settled on an IB diesel; I'm leaning towards a wheel (but gf is leaning towards a tiller), so this could go either way.
Our big problem now (as early on raised here) is the water depth at our dock (my gf's dad's). He's at the end of Rock Creek in Pasadena, MD. At high tide (such as last night) we measured above 4 feet near shore and probably over 5 feet (longer than our mop handle) at the end. But, her dad said the depth was significantly lower during low tide.
He could extend his pier an extra 10 feet, so we're hoping there'll be some more drop-off. The NOAA chart shows 9 feet in most of the central area near his house... but who knows if that's silted up. We're thinking of renting a kayak/dinghy and doing our own measuring. His neighbor has a sailboat, I guess about 24 or 25' in their dock adjacent to his -- but a little further out (such as would be the case if he extended another 10 feet).
Hopefully, use of this dock will work out. If not, we'll consider renting a slip since we'd really like to try sailing and have gotten enthused.
On a tangent, we were talking to a relative, who we didn't realize, but is an experience sailor yesterday. Regarding price, he said to "offer half". A fair price, I think, should be one where I could turn around and immediately sell at that same price in a reasonable time (say a season or two). It seems owners are having a hard time selling their boats now. I don't want to take advantage; I'm concerned that if I had to sell, I'd just be switching places. The fair price is decided by the market, which is a sellable price, which is what I'd like to pay.
Anyway, if a boat looks good -- say, a 1980's model Cat 27 (the later, the better, i.e. '86); IB diesel with low hours (are 600, 700, 800, under 1,000 low?); good amenities and very good to excellent overall condition. Then, say the ask is $13K. Per the relative, he'd offer $6.5 (that seems really low to me). But, he's waiting for the bargain and is willing to walk away. For us, if we're more motivated, then offer say... 10K or 8K to get to around 10K?
And then, when to do the marine survey? Before a bid (that could get expensive without knowing if a good price can even be negotiated), or after an agreed upon price?
Sorry for the long post...