Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010

charli3h is on a distinguished road
Catalina Capri 22 - pre-2001 versus post-2001

Howdy folks,

I have read that the catalina capri 22 underwent a fairly major re-design in 2001. Can anyone confirm this? In particular, I'd be interested in the details of this re-design. In what ways exactly was the design of the boat changed?

For budget reasons, I have been looking mainly at capris from the 90s. Am concerned there is something about this design that I should be aware of in advance.

I'd be interested as well in any other thoughts folks might have on this boat.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old post (almost a year), but I have to have some fun.
Yes basically, there was 1 major redesign, right around 2001.
The Capri guys call this version the "MOD2"

For one design reasons, generally the boats are "similar." For one design races however, there are some handicap corrections in place.
Basically the differences are cosemetic, but some are structural.
The mod 2 is wider at the beam (1-2 inches?)
The front fractional rig works out higher 15/16 where the mod1 is 3/4, so slightly higher.
The mod 2 is generally heavier by 200 to 400 lbs (yes it varies by boat), same keel weight.
The angles of the controls out of the mast are angled better on the mod2 for less "Friction"
Some design "annoyances" by the mod1 boats were corrected (angle of cleats, etc)

The 2 mods easy to tell apart, the mod 1 had a chiseled window, where the mod 2 is curvy. The mod1 has teak trim the mod 2 does not.

The boats are also classified into 4 types within each MOD, Tall Rig wing keel, Tall Rig fin keel, Standard Rig fin keel, and Standard Rid wing keel. Finally the 1st year or 2 they made the capri, there was a shoal draft keel made (no wing)

Without starting a war... the Fin keels generally point better, and sail better with more heel, the wing keels are easier to travel and trailer, and are slightly faster downwind. As you can imagine the MOD2s take heavy surf better than MOD1 (weight).

There is a huge user group associated with the Capri 22, the guys are lurkers on this board, and contributers, the TSBB, and also their own one design board (of which I am a member as well) capri22.net.

If you purchase, or are still looking to purchase a CP22, catalinadirect is a great source of parts. capri22.net is a great source of information on that boat itself, then here on this board are some great general sailing guides, and also some how-tos that pertain to all boats. Also look for some locals who own capri22s. First they can help you with HOW-TOs, and if you get enough of them, its a great way to start a friend OD fleet!

Keep us posted on your purchase. I purchased mine about 2 months ago now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook