Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Boat Reviews
 Not a Member? 

Boat Reviews This forum has all types of boat reviews. Take a look, Dream, Agree, Dissagree.... but enjoy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010
1973 Morgan O/I 33

bjslife is on a distinguished road
New Sailor needs Columbia 36 Advice

Hello all i havent been here for a while, but im finally moving up from a 1969 25' venture (macgregor) to a 1974 columbia 36'. Im buying this boat and am looking for info or advice on this boat and how sea worthy she is. I would love to sail to the Bahamas or to Alaska, she is on the west coast of oregon now. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2010
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
The wife and I recent (about a month ago) took possession of 1969 Columbia 36 that we had purchased. Our initial encounter with the boat was sailing her the 94 miles back to her new home in San Pedro, CA. She sailed like a dream. She is a fairly quick boat and handles very well.

Just last weekend we made a last minute decision to sail her to Catalina Island. We normally keep about 300 pounds of food aboard "just in case", so we were prepared. She averaged about 6.5 knots in a fairly light wind sailing between a close haul and a close reach. Again we enjoyed sailing her and she sailed with ease with only the two of us to tend to her.

The history on our boat includes the second owner using her to haul Cocaine from Hawaii to California. Not sure how many times he made the trip, but he had her outfitted for blue water. He was arrested and the boat went to a boat yard where it was completely stripped and redone in 2000.

We got a great deal on a great boat and really love the Columbia 36. This is our third boat (Columbia 26, Harstad 31 Motorsailer) and probably our final.
Old 01-14-2011

gdrisk is on a distinguished road
Hi Tom- I was surprised when I read your post because when I lived in San Diego I owned a '69 Columbia 36 (blue hull) which I sold when I moved in 2000. It was at Harbor Island and it had two solar panels, a new Volvo diesel, roller-furling jib, GPS chart plotter, radar, new wiring, 10.6 inflatable w/ob, full canvas enclosure, and a liferaft. It was a great boat with an interesting history. I bought it through a broker (bank-owned) because the previous owner was awaiting extradition in a Mexican jail for bilking some company out of a lot of money. He had outfitted the boat for escape to Hawaii (and beyond) but after several hundred miles he returned due to sickness. That's when he got caught. His wife actually turned him in because he was taking the money and not including her. There were cans of Spam stashed everywhere. I loved that boat but I had to sell because I was moving to Maine. I'd love to know if that is the same boat. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Hey, qdrisk.
Although the history is surprisingly similar, there are a few differences. The criminal that owned our boat was actually locked up for a very long time. His attorney ended up calling the boat yard and telling them to sell the boat to cover the charges against it because his client would not be out any time soon.

Our boat has a white hull, and does not have radar or solar panels, and has a new Yanmar 30 hp that was installed in 2005 and almost never used. I wonder what it was about the Columbias that seemed to lend them appeal to criminals. Cheap and reliable? I have now heard several stories about blue-water and transpac adventures, so that makes me feel better about our plans.

I think there was a blue-hulled Columbia 36 for sale in San Diego recently. Google it and see what you come up with, but I think I remember seeing one. It was in really nice condition.
Old 01-17-2011

gdrisk is on a distinguished road
Tom- Thanks for the info and I hope you enjoy your boat as much as I enjoyed mine. My first sailboat was a 1973 CT-41 ketch which was a great way to start! The Columbia was fairly simple compared to the CT and maintenance was a breeze. I would certainly look for another one if I had the opportunity. Happy sailing. George Driscoll.
Old 03-31-2011
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Nice looking boat with classic lines Tom. The first boat I sailed was a Columbia 24. Great choice for a cruising boat.
Old 03-31-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Nice looking boat with classic lines Tom. The first boat I sailed was a Columbia 24. Great choice for a cruising boat.
Thanks a bunch. I guess the real credit goes to Crealock, though.

I didn't actually choose the boat - it chose us. With the condition, new engine, newer sails, it was a deal that we could not pass up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 04-03-2011
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Yeah; that was sort of the same situation with my Newport 41. New standing/running rigging, new sails, several important refits done and not outrageously expensive. There were boats that had twice the price (simply because of their name brand) with no refit work or updates. The boat also looks great, had great reviews, floor to ceiling teak (to replace the teak it might cost more than the boat nowadays), and she sails much better than I expected.